What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Iconic Moments on Fox

T-Boon

Coach
Having watched some games yesterday I think the game needs to have a rethink about offside rules.

For example the attacking team often plays the ball with an attacker still on the defensive side of the ball (usually coming back slowly from a decoy run). That is offside in my view of the game. The play the ball should not proceed until that fat lazy decoy runner has gotten back on his side of the ball. This would be at least a small way of trying to minimise all the decoy running.

Another offside clamp down I would have is in respect of the tackled player moving off the mark either to the side or forward into territory the attacking team hasn't even earned yet. Always in an attempt to get a fast play the ball. Sorry, if you must have a fast play the ball you can go backwards to play it at the expense of your precious momentum, not sideways or forwards.

Also obviously dummy half forward passes. They are just straight up offside. They are worse than a knock on because they are seemingly deliberate.

Who are the powers that be in the game that have decided to get soft on the forward pass rule?

T-Boon

Coach
Does anyone know if back in the days when the player playing the ball could tap it and run (when no marker) was there a rule against that player passing the ball?
I dont have any memory of seeing a player tap and run then pass the ball before getting tackled.

Life's Good

Coach
Does anyone know if back in the days when the player playing the ball could tap it and run (when no marker) was there a rule against that player passing the ball?
I dont have any memory of seeing a player tap and run then pass the ball before getting tackled.
Not to my recollection. The ‘tapper’ could run, pass, kick or get tackled.

POPEYE

Coach
He could do anything he liked with it ol' mate . . . pass, field goal, kick for touch

axl rose

Bench
Yeah could do anything, even score. Fittler tapped in forward into the ingoal once for a try. Actually, this one confused me as I thought it had to be if there were no markers?

T-Boon

Coach
Yeah could do anything, even score. Fittler tapped in forward into the ingoal once for a try. Actually, this one confused me as I thought it had to be if there were no markers?
[/MEDIA]

Thanks for that. Good footage.
I think the rule must have been that you could give it a crack if the markers were not square. So while there are "markers" in that footage they are definitely not square...but I wonder if they ever are square on the try line like that.

Some of the early 80s Eels games I was watching last weekend (or whenever), players would tap and go then in the replay you look and think there is a marker there for sure and he couldn't be more square if he was John Howard.

I suspect that is part the reason they got rid of it.

T-Boon

Coach
You could look it up . . . or give Dr. Peponis a call . . . I can't remember

I could and will, but I am trying to flush out the rule buffs. Especially the ones who know and like talking about the history of the rules. There are one or two on LU that are right into that side of things. Pretty impressive knowledge. They should be posting a lot more.
Is Peponis a rule buff?

POPEYE

Coach
I could and will, but I am trying to flush out the rule buffs. Especially the ones who know and like talking about the history of the rules. There are one or two on LU that are right into that side of things. Pretty impressive knowledge. They should be posting a lot more.
Is Peponis a rule buff?
Don't know about a buff but if George was at dummy half anywhere inside the 10 you could bet your balls he'd find a way across the line

King hit

Coach

Words can’t describe how much I loved watching this man play and how much joy he brought me. I feel so old knowing that the kids and young teens at games these days never saw him play.

siv

First Grade
Did they get rid of the tap and go and striking from marker at the same time?

Yes. The old rule said - once yoy get and the ball was placed on the group it could be kicked in any direction

You can put your hands in the ruck to pick it up. But if no markers - there was no play the ball ruck. So a simple kick or tap after placing the ball on the ground meant you could pick it up.

I would like to see players pick the ball up and raise it 1 metre above the ground before playing the ball

Also I would like to see a return of players placing the ball on the ground before do a tap kick eg on the 20m or after a penalty.

Non of this touch the knee stuff

T-Boon

Coach
I would like to see players pick the ball up and raise it 1 metre above the ground before playing the ball

That is interesting.
This would slow down the play the ball from one on one tackles. Which would be a good thing. I hate seeing a team get momentum out of being tackled softly. That is too much like touch footy.

siv

First Grade
That is interesting.
This would slow down the play the ball from one on one tackles. Which would be a good thing. I hate seeing a team get momentum out of being tackled softly. That is too much like touch footy.

The old rule used to be when the ball touches the ground the marker could strike for the ball. So players used to get up and be in control before playing the ball

Rather than today they put the ball on ground and use it to get up while playing the ball

If you tried to do that before the marker had the right to kick it sideways and pick.it up

Last edited: