What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Cogger signs two year deal with Bulldogs, seeking immediate release

Spot On

Coach
With Hodko possibly going as well I see no reason to let Cogger move unless there is adequate compensation.

Old dog

Juniors
Agreed, Hodko wasn't showing enough last season, past his peak, Cogger is young, will get even better, good fill in in case SOO or injury and him staying for 2018 gives a chance to assess other halfs in squad or look for someone for 2019 and beyond.

Still Nutty

Juniors
With Manly and Cronulla chasing Hodko, we would be stupid to think Cogger doesn't fulfil a serious depth role for us this year.

Unless it is directly aligned with a swap for Morris, there is no way we should let Cogger go before the end of this season

perverse

Referee
If Cogger and Hodko do leave, aren't we super bare in the halves?
Lamb, Phythian and Jack Johns would become our "depth". Ponga at a pinch I suppose too. Not exactly the stellar depth we have there now, but we'd probably get through.

Still Nutty

Juniors
If Cogger and Hodko do leave, aren't we super bare in the halves?

That's my concern, particularly if Pearce retains his SoO spot for NSW - if Hodko goes (the more likely scenario) then Cogger needs to be here for all of 2018.

Truth is, there is no plus side to us letting Cogger go unless there is some clear value in a player swap for us as part of the deal - Knights have done all the investment in him to this point, carried him through his periods of injury(which is fine but it was an impost on the club), I suspect he is on minimal $$ that has seen him already paid 50% up front as I understand it, the Reggies squad is a strong squad capable of going deep into the 2018 competition so why would we weaken that team, we need depth, we owe the Bulldogs zilch and the list goes on

Old dog

Juniors
Surely the halfs situation is also clearly seen by coaching staff and no release of Cogger will happen.
I do have a funny sneaky feeling that should Hodko deal(s) fall through that Cogger might be let go. I hope not as at this stage I think Cogger is a better proposition even in the short term.
I did read somewhere that the situation of releasing Cogger would be made after the season has been going for a while.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Even if we lose cogger and hodko that means that we'll still have three players to go into two positions, which should be enough.

Does anyone have info on how Jack Johns goes in the halves?

I could live with cogger and hodko going as long as jack johns is a player of talent.

My ideal scenario would be to get some money for Hodko and to release cogger and get a player swap with the bulldogs.

Old dog

Juniors
Don't think player swap is an option this late, Cogger and Hodko are a 7 where Johns is more a 6. If lose both Cogger and Hodko then we have no cover for Pearce, injury or SOO. Sure Lamb can cover but any other situation makes it a problem, it is absolutely essential to keep either Cogger or Hodko and based on style, fitness and potential if only keeping one it must be Cogger.

Knight76

Juniors
Even if we lose cogger and hodko that means that we'll still have three players to go into two positions, which should be enough.

Does anyone have info on how Jack Johns goes in the halves?

I could live with cogger and hodko going as long as jack johns is a player of talent.

My ideal scenario would be to get some money for Hodko and to release cogger and get a player swap with the bulldogs.

Johns is a talent no doubt, but he isn't ready for first grade yet.

We have rushed enough players through the system to 1st grade, let's leave Johns to develop under the radar a bit.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Cogger getting half a game in the trial tomorrow. Brownie has learnt from the Tapine incident and keeping the kid warm. Some good interviews on the Knights website.

Lamb, Phythian and Jack Johns would become our "depth". Ponga at a pinch I suppose too. Not exactly the stellar depth we have there now, but we'd probably get through.
I normally wouldn't rate him enough for a mention but Brown seems impressed with Meaney as an outsider back up

Old dog

Juniors
Meaney's last two seasons have been good, u20 & reserves, not sure why he is not rated higher, played every week as f/b but when we had problems in 1sts at f/b he didn't get a run yet we tried many others.

Belly007

Juniors
Source: http://www.theherald.com.au/story/5171199/jack-cogger-signs-two-year-deal-with-bulldogs/?cs=305

"Knights halfback Jack Cogger will immediately seek a formal release from the club after signing a two-year deal with Canterbury on Tuesday.

Cogger, contracted to the Knights until the end of the season, has signed with the Bulldogs for 2019-2020 but remains hopeful the Knights will allow him to leave for Belmore early.

“Jack is leaving the Knights for the opportunity to play in the NRL which is the only reason he is going,” Cogger’s manager Michael Newton said.

“The Knights have told us they won’t be releasing him early but we will still formally apply and see how we go.

“It is not too dissimilar to how Mitchell Pearce ended up at the Knights with the Roosters allowing him to go after they signed Cooper Cronk."

~~~~~~

No reason why we should let him go immediately. We didn't get Ponga when we signed him, why should Canterbury get Cogger for 2018? Can stay as a reserve player in the event that Pearce/Lamb/Watson/(Hodko?) get injured.
I agree that the Knights are well within their rights to not release Cogger. At the end of the day, the Knights are in the business of winning football games, and as such, why should we release a player from a contract early, if we have no reason to do so?

Latest posts