What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The MMA Thread

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Old news but Rob Whittaker out of UFC Perth. Romero vs Rockhold instead for the interim title.

Horrible news, no word on the injury as of yet though. Was super keen for that fight

Wizardman

First Grade
Miocic VS Ngannou - dream fight!!! Can't wait!!!
In no way will it go five rounds...haha! Stipe somehow has to keep away from him for the first three rounds and take his chances in the last two. I don't believe any human on the planet can trade blows with a fresh Ngannou......key will be to take him to deep water and have his cardio tested in those last two rounds......very tough task for Stipe.

Ngannou ko round 1

Eelementary

Post Whore
In no way will it go five rounds...haha! Stipe somehow has to keep away from him for the first three rounds and take his chances in the last two. I don't believe any human on the planet can trade blows with a fresh Ngannou......key will be to take him to deep water and have his cardio tested in those last two rounds......very tough task for Stipe.

Ngannou ko round 1

Agreed!

I cannot see how Miocic wins this, tbh.

I think he's an excellent fighter, but all Ngannou needs to do is land a shot (and it doesn't have to be a clean blow), and it's all over.

But it should be an awesome fight!

Wizardman

First Grade
Agreed!

I cannot see how Miocic wins this, tbh.

I think he's an excellent fighter, but all Ngannou needs to do is land a shot (and it doesn't have to be a clean blow), and it's all over.

But it should be an awesome fight!
I think Miocic has better cardio.....but we have not seen wether ngannau has good cardio due to his quick fights.We know Miocic can go 5, not sure on Ngannou.....to stretch the fight out is Stipe's only chance.

Stipe does not have the technical ability to keep Ngannau out though.

roughyedspud

Coach
I reckon we'll be seeing two new world champs tonight..

Volkan will be too big and athletic for DC and how the hell is anyone gonna stop ngannau? He's got 20lbs on stipe ffs

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Didn’t see any of the main card but by reports Cormier dominated and Miocic completely outclassed Ngannou who was gassed after round 1

Wizardman

First Grade
I just missed the Cormier fight. Can someone share how it went?

I totally missed the mark regarding a few predictions on the Ngannau fight. I never thought it would have went the distance. In saying that though, Im shocked Mirocic didn't end it earlier.

Ngannou's performance was woeful. He needs to get on the treadmill and improve his cardio tenfold. He cannot hope to have a long career at the top if he only has the gas for one round. By the end of the second round, he was totally finished with no turning back. While Stipe fought a great fight, Im amazed he did not finish it.

Ngannau is still young, but that was a pretty devastating loss. He has a lot of work to do if he wants the belt. His cardio and wrestling is simply not upto elite class.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Khabib vs Tony is jinxed. Doubt we ever see that fight tbh.

I'm even keener for this fight now, Holloway is a stud and probably my favourite fighter at the moment. Doesn't talk shit and just gets the job done

shiznit

Coach
Khabib vs Tony is jinxed. Doubt we ever see that fight tbh.

I'm even keener for this fight now, Holloway is a stud and probably my favourite fighter at the moment. Doesn't talk shit and just gets the job done
Yup... gonna go off on a tangent here... but stay with me....

I’m a HUGE BJ Penn fan... He’s my favourite fighter of all time.

People knock BJ because of his bad losses and his lack of motivation... but I legitimately believe he’s in the conversation for one of the greatest of all time because of his warrior mentality.

He was truly the guy who would fight anyone, anywhere. I mean the dude stepped up to HW to fight Lyotto Machida in Japan when Machida was undefeated.

He was also the guy willing to go up... He made the Champ v Champ fight with GSP possible because he was the only current champ that was willing to go up and be the smaller man to make the super fight happen.

GSP wouldn’t do the same vs Anderson Silva despite the world asking for it... Anderson was talking about it but refused to because his best mate Machida was the champ... then when Shogun took the belt and Jon Jones after that... Anderson wanted nothing to do with going up for the super fight.

I think it’s the same mentality that makes me like Conor a lot.

Its what created the legend of BJ Penn... unfortunately for BJ though... his greatness will always be overshadowed by that underlying feeling of what if... what if BJ was motivated enough to work as hard as everyone else did considering how well he did with his natural gifts.

After every loss you would always ask yourself... how would motivated BJ Penn go in that fight...

‘Motivated BJ Penn’ became this myth and legend people would talk about like ‘Hoodie Melo’ is talked about by NBA fans.

I say all of this because I think no longer is ‘Motivated BJ Penn’ a myth or a legend... I think he exists... his name is Max Holloway...

Holloway is what BJ Penn would have been if he was truly driven to be the best... he has that true warrior mentality but with that drive and work ethic to push him to places BJ wasnt prepared to go.

Holloway could be something truly special...

ebbedfred

Bench
I'm gutted Tony/Khabib is off, was looking forward to that fight more than any other.

Kudos to Max for taking the fight, HUGE balls, but I just can't see how he wins it. It would be hard for him to win even with a full camp....but on 6 days notice? I also worry as he pulled out of his Frankie fight a month ago, surely he is not 100%? It's definetly an intriguing match up still, I like both guys, so don't really know who I'm cheering for. I think Max is a better technical striker than Tony, but I doubt he has that 1 punch knock out power to threaten Khabib. If fully fit, he may be able to land enough over time to trouble Khabib, but I usually think guys taking fights on short notce need to win the fight early, and I think the best way (if there is one) to beat Khabib is to counterpunch as he's coming in. Max can defintely do that, but can he survive long enough with limited prep to do it over a long period of time? Time will tell.

Shiznit- I tend to agree with everything you said, I too was (still am) a huge BJ fan, was probably the most gifted fighter I've seen, and I'm more than happy to have him "pass the hawaiian torch" to Max, the guy is a beast, very motivated and talented. I hope his stocks continue to rise.

The whole card this week is still an awesome card, I can't wait.

Latest posts