What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Landmark international rights deal with Fox Sports

Here's the full text of the article thorson cited -

Landmark international rights deal with Fox Sports
Mon 23 Oct, 2017, 3:15pm
‌‌‌NRL

The National Rugby League has entered into a partnership with Fox Sports Australia to take the NRL to a global audience via a direct to consumer international streaming product, to be known as Watch NRL.

Rugby League fans living abroad* will be able to follow all the on-field action live throughout the 2018 NRL Telstra Premiership season as a result of the new partnership offering.

The new international streaming service will be available for round one of the 2018 NRL Telstra Premiership Season.

Fans will also able to view the Holden State of Origin Series, Australian men's and women's international matches played on home soil and Intrust Super Cup matches.

NRL Chief Executive Todd Greenberg said the partnership would provide thousands of rugby league fans living or travelling overseas with the opportunity to keep up with their teams' results every week, as well as being able to tune in to watch many other live marquee matches throughout the year.

"This is a fantastic result for fans outside of Australia and it means that more people will have the chance to watch rugby league live than ever before," Mr Greenberg said.

"We're fortunate that we have passionate and enthusiastic NRL fans right throughout the world and many of them are just as vocal and committed as our local fans that live where each of our teams are based."

NRL Head of Strategy David Silverton added: "We are delighted to be partnering with Fox Sports on this initiative, which is simply about providing the opportunity for more fans to watch the highest quality rugby league anywhere in the world.

"We thank Patrick Delany and his team at Fox Sports for bringing this initiative to life with us and we look forward to increasing world-wide viewership next season and beyond."

Fox Sports CEO, Patrick Delany, said: "When we negotiated the new NRL broadcast deal in 2015, News Corp committed to helping grow the game in Australia and overseas.

"In 2018, that promise comes to life when Fox Sports delivers the world's first international NRL streaming service to feature every NRL game plus Fox League's famous entertainment shows – anywhere, anytime live and on demand."

Users who log on to Watch NRL will be able to choose the way they watch – either from a dedicated website, the Watch NRL mobile or tablet App for iOS or Android or via their TV screens using Airplay or Chromecast.

Fox Sports have partnered with International Management Group (IMG) to promote the international NRL broadcast rights over the next five years, with FOX SPORTS managing the broadcast rights for the USA and the UK.

For more information on Watch NRL, including when the streaming service will be available, head to www.watchnrl.com.

* Watch NRL content will only be accessible outside of Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Territories.

King Ben

Juniors
Oh BALLS. The AFL equivalent is $190 for the whole season. I was looking forward to using Rugby Pass for free next year when I'm overseas. There goes that plan.

Danish

Referee
Oh BALLS. The AFL equivalent is $190 for the whole season. I was looking forward to using Rugby Pass for free next year when I'm overseas. There goes that plan.

At the moment the only legal streaming option in the US for NRL is US$20 per month or US$140 if you sign up for the full year, so if it winds up under AU$200 per year I'll be happy.

Getting access to all the fox NRL shows will be particularly good. Right now the only league show fix I get is when the Fox Soccer crowd forgets to shut off the stream after a game and I get to watch 20-30 minutes of the post game show

DC_fan

Coach
Thank god for globalisation, which has made the world a whole lot smaller and interconnected in just about every way imaginable. Regardless of what sport you like, there is no excuse, outside of the cost, in not being able to watch it.

I am not sure that it will bring a whole lot of new fans to the rugby league, but it will keep a lot of Aussie expats happy.

King Ben

Juniors
Rugbypass for free? Where did u get that deal?
Can't remember which "country" I was in at the time but the deal was that you could register for free and watch all the NRL games if your country didn't have a TV deal.

https://watch.rugbypass.com/secure/subscription?sku=BNRL_PASS was the link I used and I've been watching all NRL games for free since July.

Edit: As humorously referenced on the Rugby Pass website:
"It's also available in an NRL/State of Origin only rugby league package in almost every country on earth that doesn't really like rugby league."

Pedge1971

First Grade
Can't remember which "country" I was in at the time but the deal was that you could register for free and watch all the NRL games if your country didn't have a TV deal.

https://watch.rugbypass.com/secure/subscription?sku=BNRL_PASS was the link I used and I've been watching all NRL games for free since July.

Edit: As humorously referenced on the Rugby Pass website:
"It's also available in an NRL/State of Origin only rugby league package in almost every country on earth that doesn't really like rugby league."

Ah. I subscribe from Singapore and get stung for 20 bucks a month.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Haven't had any updates since signing up for the mail list on the Warchnrl.com. Website. Anyone have info, like is it mobile devices only like the Australian streaming service? If that were the case I will definitely not get it.

roughyedspud

Coach
The UK rights have become abit confusing..the watchNRL app would be awesome but then we learned sky sports have the NRL rights for next year so does that mean watchNRL will be geolocked?

CC_Roosters

First Grade
The UK rights have become abit confusing..the watchNRL app would be awesome but then we learned sky sports have the NRL rights for next year so does that mean watchNRL will be geolocked?

When did that happen re. Sky sports haven't seen any announcement or press release?

CC_Roosters

First Grade

Bump- Bump- is there anything official yet? Haven't seen anything about sky showing nrl. pricing structure will be interesting as well. I hope it's affordable- the premier sports was $10/month for the online srrvice