What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Dont' Like Cricket, Oh No, I Love it, Yeah

Yeh the whole way they handle these is pretty rooted. He's not out, but the requirement that umps make a soft call (without the option of saying 'we have no idea') causes most of this shit. That and the impossibility of seeing the 'ground' as opposed to the 'grass'. on tv.
Yes very much like rugby league. And how soft exactly is a soft dismissal? I bet there's no consensus on that.

Kornstar

Coach
Yeh the whole way they handle these is pretty rooted. He's not out, but the requirement that umps make a soft call (without the option of saying 'we have no idea') causes most of this shit. That and the impossibility of seeing the 'ground' as opposed to the 'grass'. on tv.

Yeah I get the reason but you are right the “no idea” call needs to be added. It isn’t like an LBW where the technology makes the decision based on software configuration and ball trajectory.

You could see grass so therefore it wasn’t out. Similar to the NFL catch rule, if there is grass, you didn’t catch it.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Poor selections and even worst tactics, we deserve to be getting flogged and the Poms have played well.

strider

Post Whore
Who are all the players we should be selecting instead? ... Lynn was selected but injured ... i assume that Short dude whos been ripping up the bbl should be in .... who else?

Happy MEel

First Grade
Who are all the players we should be selecting instead? ... Lynn was selected but injured ... i assume that Short dude whos been ripping up the bbl should be in .... who else?
Lyon should be one of the first bowlers picked imo

Bazal

Post Whore

Maxwell would be a start. I hate the merkin but he can play short form cricket. Khawaja potentially. Plus guys who killed it in the state OD comp don't get a look in.

White is a poor selection too. It's not always about who isn't there, sometimes it's about who is.

But selections don't really matter while we're trying to play 50 over T20 cricket and getting the middle overs so badly wrong

Lyon, Khawaja, Alex Carey.

At times I also struggle to work out what Smith's field settings are trying to achieve. In the last few overs last night he can't set a field that encourages short pitched bowling (on a slow pitch).

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Lyon, Khawaja, Alex Carey.

At times I also struggle to work out what Smith's field settings are trying to achieve. In the last few overs last night he can't set a field that encourages short pitched bowling (on a slow pitch).
That short pitched crap has been happening all summer with those terrible field placings.

It’s encouraging the bowlers to bowl rubbish, it must be a team tactic and it needs to be put in the bin ASAP.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
yeah it is a team tactic, it starts at the top

I heard an interview from Paddy explaining how they all talk about their bowling plans as a team including boof

hineyrulz

Post Whore
yeah it is a team tactic, it starts at the top

I heard an interview from Paddy explaining how they all talk about their bowling plans as a team including boof
Just because Boof couldn’t play the short stuff doesn’t mean others can’t.

But bowling continually short on slow decks is just stupidity.

That short pitched crap has been happening all summer with those terrible field placings.

It’s encouraging the bowlers to bowl rubbish, it must be a team tactic and it needs to be put in the bin ASAP.

I have no problem with it in a Test series against opposition who don't deal with it so well, and particularly against the tail. It breaks them down.

But while competent batsmen are at the crease in an ODI it should only be used for the odd change-up. The problem is that you can bowl outside off stump, but if it is short can still be pulled through mid-wicket (particularly on a slow pitch).

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I have no problem with it in a Test series against opposition who don't deal with it so well, and particularly against the tail. It breaks them down.

But while competent batsmen are at the crease in an ODI it should only be used for the odd change-up. The problem is that you can bowl outside off stump, but if it is short can still be pulled through mid-wicket (particularly on a slow pitch).
I think it was way over done all summer.

Especially in the last two tests on absolute pancake wickets with no pace or bounce whatsoever.

Plus they are much to good to be bowling that way constantly.

I think it was way over done all summer.

Especially in the last two tests on absolute pancake wickets with no pace or bounce whatsoever.

Plus they are much to good to be bowling that way constantly.

I agree that it was pointless in Melbourne, but looked at the means by which Cummins cleaned them up in the 4th innings in Sydney.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I agree that it was pointless in Melbourne, but looked at the means by which Cummins cleaned them up in the 4th innings in Sydney.
Those tactics also got the Poms an extra 100 runs in the first innings.

I have no problem bowling short stuff but not every ball when you are taking away other avenues of taking wickets.

Those tactics also got the Poms an extra 100 runs in the first innings.

I have no problem bowling short stuff but not every ball when you are taking away other avenues of taking wickets.

There was a short period where Eng went from 7/300 to 7/330 quickly. This period immediately followed a dismissal from a short ball and two dropped catches (one of which was from a short ball). Immediately following this, Curran got bounced out, Broad holed out and Anderson got run out trying to get away from strike.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
There was a short period where Eng went from 7/300 to 7/330 quickly. This period immediately followed a dismissal from a short ball and two dropped catches (one of which was from a short ball). Immediately following this, Curran got bounced out, Broad holed out and Anderson got run out trying to get away from strike.
And they still could of gotten those wickets from a short ball, no one is saying not to bowl short but every f**king ball on a slow wicket is stupid.

The last 3 wickets put on over 80 in quick time and most of those runs were off short pitched bowling.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
we were using the short ball as a stock ball rather then the odd shock ball

you bowl it enough they learn how to deal with them

Latest posts