What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mann

Old Timer

Coach
The bench is completely f**ked when Mann is on it.
The simple fact is Mann should be a starting player and that allows you have far more flexibility with the bench and helps alleviate forward fatigue but Mc Fookknuckle can't find the balls to drop Nighty or Aitken or Nene to ensure Mann gets a spot in the run on side.
So the easy way out for him is his 3 man forward bench with Mann as the so called utility which is totally stupid.
The correct answer is either pick Mann in the starting side or leave him reserves but run with a bench with 4 forwards on it.

Probably will get crucified for this...but, how about start Mann at 1 then have Dufty there 2nd half with Mann as a utility 2nd half. Surely 80 min is too much for Dufty to give it his all.

Belta

Juniors
Gold _Coast Dragon said: "...80 min is too much for Dufty..."

I have heard it many times said that it takes extra conditioning to play fullback due to the amount of running required in this position but never have I heard it said, or seen it played out by any coach at any level that they rest their fullback. Based on this alone I'd not even toy with the idea of subbing Dufty at half time.

Stating the obvious of course is to say that subs are primarily used to replace tiring forwards and to a much lesser degree for utility purposes. So if you say it's for utility purposes than I'd agree with BennyV in that is a wasted interchange. I'd personally go with replacing the hooker (ie Robson) If I was going to use a utility. IMO having a fresh hooker on late in the game, where they could run in and around tiring forwards could really test the opposition defenders and set up some attacking raids.

BennyV

Referee
Aitken to the bench could cover outside backs and backrowers.I think his main asset is his strength and he could be destructive coming on fresh.Mann and lafie. centres.I think a lot of people are underestimating nightingale bit slower but by far our best winger.
AItken to the bench doesnt really serve the purpose either. Our edge backrowers should be 80 minute players and as a lock, he'd be down the list, definitely behind JDB and Sele who should be rotating that spot. If he's not in the centres (and I dont think he's out best right centre) then he should head backs to reserves to work on his game.

Disagree on Nighty, he is becoming a liability in both attack and defense. Mann and Nene are both above him as wingers, and there's more upside at this stage to having a youngster be blooded on his wing. He racked up decent tries, but there isnt a single one of them that couldnt have been scored by most wingers in the comp and there were a number of tries that he missed out on that would have been scored by a quicker winger.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Aitken to the bench could cover outside backs and backrowers.I think his main asset is his strength and he could be destructive coming on fresh.Mann and lafie. centres.I think a lot of people are underestimating nightingale bit slower but by far our best winger.

We lost games that we should have won because of Nightingale. Not one try scored by him last year wouldn't have been scored by any other winger in the comp but for sure we missed opportunities because of him.

The best examples are the absolute ease with which Melbourne were able to get around him and the first game against the doggies. In that game we were right in the arm wrestle - nighty got the pill about 30m out on the outside of his winger but knew he didn't have the pace to get round him and cut back in and was tackled and dominated yielding a slow play the ball.. That was a huge moment in the game and a point where any of the new generation of young wingers would have pinned the ears back and most likely scored in the corner. It was a momentum killer.
Same again in the doggies game at the end - there were opportunities presented but ultimately not taken because he is simply too slow.

getsmarty

Immortal
Mann finding a new home in the middle
Dragons Den News
r0_0_3974_2649_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

TOUGH STUFF: Dragons utility Kurt Mann (left) is embracing an unexpected shift to the middle of the park this season. Picture: Adam McLean

WHEN Dragons utility Kurt Mann said he’d happily play “anywhere” this season, he never imagined he’d end up in the front row.

Mann has turned out in every back-line position in his previous two seasons with the club since shifting from Melbourne at the end of 2015.

He was pushing for a spot there again in 2018, but has instead been deployed in the middle of the park by coach Paul McGregor as part of his forward rotation.

It’s quite literally new ground for the 25-year-old, but he’s enjoying the move in his side’s 5-0 start to the year.

“You wouldn’t believe it, I played front row against the Titans [in roud four] and ended up there for a little bit against the Knights so, I’ve played every position on the field now,” Mann said.

“I’m really happy to play that role at the moment. Everyone’s playing out of their skin so it’s hard to push for a starting spot because the team’s playing such good footy.

“That’s my job at the moment and I’m really enjoying playing the middle. It’s a bit of a challenge for me and it’s something I’ve really liked.”

Mann was frank when asked if he was given any indication from McGregor that he’d end up in the middle.

“Not at all. I spent the whole preseason in the centres and in the trial against Hull I played in the centres and at five-eighth,” he said.

“I did my calf right before the Charity Shield but I ended up on the bench for round one and it’s just happened from there. Mary just tells me to go out and play my normal game.

“He wants me to play a ball-playing role and I’m really happy he’s showing that sort of faith in me.

“It’s showing a lot of faith to play someone my size in the middle having never played there before. I’m really happy to have that opportunity.”

Having been used mostly as injury cover, Mann said he’s jumped at the opportunity to clock more minutes and throw himself into his work as soon as he’s on the paddock.

“You’re straight in the mix of it so you can throw yourself straight in there,” he said.

“You don’t have to think too much. When you’re out in the centres you’ve got a lot of time to think about what’s happening and what plays they’re running.

“When you’re in the middle it’s straight up and down and you’re just doing your best so that’s what I’ve really enjoyed about it.”

Having shown plenty of faith in the Winton product in the past, McGregor admitted the seamless shift has been a pleasant surprise.

“Kurt’s been playing that middle [number] 13 role for a number of week’s and he’s been building his time up,” McGregor said.

“For the first three or four weeks we’ve given him 10 minutes, 15, 15, 20 and he deserved to get a shot earlier in the game.

“When Jack de Belin needs a spell, Kurt’s that ideal 13 where he can really cover the middle through leg-speed, he can generate a quick play-the-ball for you and put on good kick pressure.

“It worked OK so Kurt’s a 13 as much as a centre, fullback and five-eighth.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5329433/mann-finding-a-new-home-in-the-middle/?cs=3713

Drag Queen

Bench
Mann finding a new home in the middle
Dragons Den News
r0_0_3974_2649_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

TOUGH STUFF: Dragons utility Kurt Mann (left) is embracing an unexpected shift to the middle of the park this season. Picture: Adam McLean

WHEN Dragons utility Kurt Mann said he’d happily play “anywhere” this season, he never imagined he’d end up in the front row.

Mann has turned out in every back-line position in his previous two seasons with the club since shifting from Melbourne at the end of 2015.

He was pushing for a spot there again in 2018, but has instead been deployed in the middle of the park by coach Paul McGregor as part of his forward rotation.

It’s quite literally new ground for the 25-year-old, but he’s enjoying the move in his side’s 5-0 start to the year.

“You wouldn’t believe it, I played front row against the Titans [in roud four] and ended up there for a little bit against the Knights so, I’ve played every position on the field now,” Mann said.

“I’m really happy to play that role at the moment. Everyone’s playing out of their skin so it’s hard to push for a starting spot because the team’s playing such good footy.

“That’s my job at the moment and I’m really enjoying playing the middle. It’s a bit of a challenge for me and it’s something I’ve really liked.”

Mann was frank when asked if he was given any indication from McGregor that he’d end up in the middle.

“Not at all. I spent the whole preseason in the centres and in the trial against Hull I played in the centres and at five-eighth,” he said.

“I did my calf right before the Charity Shield but I ended up on the bench for round one and it’s just happened from there. Mary just tells me to go out and play my normal game.

“He wants me to play a ball-playing role and I’m really happy he’s showing that sort of faith in me.

“It’s showing a lot of faith to play someone my size in the middle having never played there before. I’m really happy to have that opportunity.”

Having been used mostly as injury cover, Mann said he’s jumped at the opportunity to clock more minutes and throw himself into his work as soon as he’s on the paddock.

“You’re straight in the mix of it so you can throw yourself straight in there,” he said.

“You don’t have to think too much. When you’re out in the centres you’ve got a lot of time to think about what’s happening and what plays they’re running.

“When you’re in the middle it’s straight up and down and you’re just doing your best so that’s what I’ve really enjoyed about it.”

Having shown plenty of faith in the Winton product in the past, McGregor admitted the seamless shift has been a pleasant surprise.

“Kurt’s been playing that middle [number] 13 role for a number of week’s and he’s been building his time up,” McGregor said.

“For the first three or four weeks we’ve given him 10 minutes, 15, 15, 20 and he deserved to get a shot earlier in the game.

“When Jack de Belin needs a spell, Kurt’s that ideal 13 where he can really cover the middle through leg-speed, he can generate a quick play-the-ball for you and put on good kick pressure.

“It worked OK so Kurt’s a 13 as much as a centre, fullback and five-eighth.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5329433/mann-finding-a-new-home-in-the-middle/?cs=3713
Mann Fan.

Belta

Juniors
We may well do OK if we lose Hunt and Macdonald to Origin as the ISP half looks very good and has good combinations with Lomax, and Field and with Mann playing well each time he comes in we could end up to be with quite a potent attacking side taking on Melbourne, who will undoubtedly have some good depth themselves. In our forwards hopefully we see Kerr, Host, Lawrie injected in. Could be a very interesting game.

Aitken currently playing too well to be dropped.

Lafai and Flo are possible candidates for the chop periodically.

Mann is a victim of his own versatility.

Personally I would drop Flo for Mann at present.

If the team is to reach a new level management needs to be ruthless.

brokendigit

Juniors
With an injury or three to other players, Mann is just the type of player the Maroons would pick out of necessity, then stick with for 15 Origins.

Belta

Juniors
Drag Queen said;
It won't happen and Nighty showed his class last game. In saying that, I want Kurt Mann as a starting player. Whichposition though?Maybe put Dufty on the wing next seasonand slot Kurt into the FB role.

This would be a dreadful outcome. Dufty has been going well so far. IMO Nighty is showing the wear and tear of a long career. Admittedly he has done some good things but overall has been average for most of the season and will be even moreso if he plays on next year. Hopefully Mann replaces Nighty and Lomax is tried as our utility.

Drag Queen

Bench
Drag Queen said;
It won't happen and Nighty showed his class last game. In saying that, I want Kurt Mann as a starting player. Whichposition though? Maybe put Dufty on the wing next season and slot Kurt into the FB role.

This would be a dreadful outcome. Dufty has been going well so far. IMO Nighty is showing the wear and tear of a long career. Admittedly he has done some good things but overall has been average for most of the season and will be even moreso if he plays on next year. Hopefully Mann replaces Nighty and Lomax is tried as our utility.
A dreadful outcome? Is this a gee up? A bit soon into the season to be making these assumptions.

Last edited:

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Your love of MATT DUFTY knows no end DRAG .you really are something else like your countryman Sony bill Williams .now your in Newcastle keep going north .Queensland will love you.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons' Kurt is the Mann for all occasions
Send via Email
Kurt Mann has already asked St George Illawarra Dragons coach Paul McGregor about ordering a smaller No.8 jersey for the when the joint venture are inevitably hit by the Origin player drain.

No one better reflects the term ''utility player'' more than Mann, who has now played every single position in the NRL.

On Sunday, he will wear No.15 and spend time at back row and in the middle against South Sydney's monster pack.

A five-eighth by trade, Mann said his dream was to wear the front-row jersey, which could happen if Paul Vaughan gets called up for the Blues and James Graham struggles to back up in round 16 after the Denver Test for England.

"I've played everywhere now, you name it I've played it,'' Mann told Fairfax Media. "I've never actually worn the No.9 jersey, but when I was in Melbourne, Slade Griffin went off for a HIA and I got pushed in there for about 15 minutes.

"I've also played front row, and carted the ball back from a dropout against the Knights. Hopefully around the Origin period I've told then I want to wear the No. 8. The boys have been joking about me wearing it. It might be a few sizes too big for me.''

At just 89kg, Mann could be the lightest front-rower in the game. Starting the year at 84kg, the Mann for all occasions plans to bulk up to 94kg.

Mann wore the No. 1 jersey and had a ''shocker'' against Cronulla a tick over 12 months ago, which left McGregor little choice but to give him a short spell back in reserve grade.

He returned to the top flight on the wing where he finished the year, then spent time in the centres and halves during the Dragons' first trial this year, only for a calf injury to rule him out of the Charity Shield.

That was when McGregor sat him down and discussed his plan to move him into the forwards, something the 25-year-old has accepted with enthusiasm and ease.

"He said I'd be starting off the bench and I could end up in the middle or a few other positions,'' Mann said. "During the Origin period he said he wanted me to step up with big Lesson [Ah Mau] as well.

"If I could pick anywhere, five-eighth would be my preferred position. Utilities are a crucial part of every team, and if someone goes down you need that player who cover a few positions. It's only been this year I've been able to cover the forward positions.''

Vaughan, who has Mann easily covered in the height and weight department, said he was keen to face off against the Burgess brothers and Souths and continue his Origin audition.

Vaughan was an outside chance last year and was worried he may be forced to miss his best mate's wedding in Hawaii if picked for Origin I. Vaughan quipped the groom enjoyed plenty of free publicity ahead of his own big day in paradise.

Vaughan, one of five players in the Dragons starting forward pack pushing for a Blues berth, said: "I wasn't ready last year, it was about getting my career back on track and cementing my position in the team, but with the team going so well, it puts players in a good position to [push] for representative honours.''

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/dragons-kurt-is-the-mann-for-all-positions-20180512-p4zexm.html

possm

Coach
I don't want to try and take some sort of high ground here or seem like i'm saying "I told you so", but Mann was never capable of playing in the halves at First Grade level. Just because you've played a few games in the halves in juniors doesn't mean you can make that step up.
He's a natural footballer sure, but he's utility player, always has been.
Didn't Mann replace Widdop last year when Widdop was out injured?