What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which QLD bid would you pick ?

Which current QLD bid would you go for ?

• Brothers

Votes: 21 39.6%
  • Redcliffe Dolphins

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Central Queensland

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Western Corridor

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Brisbane Bombers

Votes: 5 9.4%

• Total voters

King hit

Coach
Whichever team has to be based in Brisbane and playing out of Suncorp every week. It’s the only hope of them being financially stable and able to compete with Broncos

The price tag for using Suncorp wouldn't come cheap and they wouldn't have much money to start with. Don't get how this equals financial stability

Think we are forgeting Brisbane needs to share Brisbane! 2million people. Parhaps Brisbane Dolphins or whatever have tge northern part and the Broncos the southern half? Or whatever works best. Not sure of the geography? Something should surely work. I know the Broncos will aim to keep it all but that's not right and is greedy!
Broncos are already in the north and the other bids are too. Only the Jets represent the south west and should target the Southside as well.

mongoose

Coach
Brothers - A lot of history there. i don't know too much about their bid, I don't even know where they are located these days. They used to be in Bray Park, way out northside brisbane way when I was growing up.

Dolphins - Probably the biggest and most successful team in the Qld cup. Have a large leagues club and a pretty decent stadium. Not sure if a team named after Redcliffe will get much support outside of the peninsula though...they might have to call themselves moreton bay or brisbane dolphins or something.

central qld - Population is too decentralized. Rockhampton is the largest city (town) and doesn't even have 100k people. They would struggle both for fans and corporate support.

Western Corridor - Growing area that incorporates Ipswich, Springfield and all those suburbs out that way. Jets are a popular team. They're on the right side of town to best utilize suncorp stadium. Only problem is that I reckon a lot of people out there are already Broncos fans. Alfie and the Walters brothers are all from Ipswich...

Bombers - Looks like a well organized bid. They may be plastic but kids won't care about that and the idea is to get long term support, not immediate support based on nostalgia.

Stallion

First Grade
Brothers - A lot of history there. i don't know too much about their bid, I don't even know where they are located these days. They used to be in Bray Park, way out northside brisbane way when I was growing up.

Dolphins - Probably the biggest and most successful team in the Qld cup. Have a large leagues club and a pretty decent stadium. Not sure if a team named after Redcliffe will get much support outside of the peninsula though...they might have to call themselves moreton bay or brisbane dolphins or something.

central qld - Population is too decentralized. Rockhampton is the largest city (town) and doesn't even have 100k people. They would struggle both for fans and corporate support.

Western Corridor - Growing area that incorporates Ipswich, Springfield and all those suburbs out that way. Jets are a popular team. They're on the right side of town to best utilize suncorp stadium. Only problem is that I reckon a lot of people out there are already Broncos fans. Alfie and the Walters brothers are all from Ipswich...

Bombers - Looks like a well organized bid. They may be plastic but kids won't care about that and the idea is to get long term support, not immediate support based on nostalgia.

Can Brisbane Broncos come to an agreement /arrangement to divide Brisbane in way that creates either a south/north divide or east/west or whatever boundary framework divide. It doesnt have to be rigid but just a guide and outline to where the 2nd Brisbane team can base things like juniors and core fan base from. Might be worth the Brisbane RL doing a survey to see thoughts of the public at large? Getting the public onside would be handy!

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
The price tag for using Suncorp wouldn't come cheap and they wouldn't have much money to start with. Don't get how this equals financial stability

The use of Suncorp is a must do for a second Brisbane team! The Broncos have as many fans that dislike them than like them. It's a ready made success if done well. Needs a catchy logical name, attractive unique colours and a base area to launch the club and its support from.

Last edited:

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
I like the idea of Brisbane Brothers who can play most of there games at Suncorp but also take a few to other areas like central Queensland. Represent the old BRL aswell I think they would be great. Anything but the Bombers terrible bid which has no point of difference to the broncos

King hit

Coach
I like the idea of Brisbane Brothers who can play most of there games at Suncorp but also take a few to other areas like central Queensland. Represent the old BRL aswell I think they would be great. Anything but the Bombers terrible bid which has no point of difference to the broncos

I've been wanting to see games in regional Queensland for a long time. The more games to regional areas the better. It's great the Titans are doing it this year. I wish the Broncos would.

Stallion

First Grade

Yes. Must admit its not something I know about as far as the culture is concerned. Perhaps a nostalgic link is good. Not sure of their geography. I assume the Brothers would be fairly universal? Maybe we go for something warrior like in Brisbane Spartans? .....

Diesel

Referee

Didn’t they recently (last few years) take over the old SQ Crushers leagues club at Grange?

Brothers, WC/Jets or Redcliffe are the best options if the new Brisbane team wants to differentiate from the Broncos.

The Bombers name reminds me of when the Titans was chosen as the “popular” choice in a public vote, yet no one liked the name.

johnny plath

Juniors
Didn’t they recently (last few years) take over the old SQ Crushers leagues club at Grange?
Other way around. Crushers took over brothers home fields at corbett park and built their leagues club and training ground when they entered the arl back in mid 90s. Town houses there now.

Diesel

Referee
Other way around. Crushers took over brothers home fields at corbett park and built their leagues club and training ground when they entered the arl back in mid 90s. Town houses there now.
Is the leagues club still there?

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I can't believe anyone thinks Redcliffe is a serious option. That puss club has everyone outside of Brisbane seriously hoodwinked.

Their biggest claim to fame is 'stopping' Gold Coast from using Dolphins, and they've been living off that for ten f**king years. Enough already, outside of the peninsula they are either hated or ignored. NRL bid my arse.

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member

I would actually make the argument that Brothers would be a more divisive brand than Dolphins or Jets.

I remember growing up in Rockhampton, you either played for Brothers or you hated Brothers generally speaking. I've heard similar things on here about other regional Brothers clubs.

Again this wouldn't be make or break to the bid, but people arguing that Jets and Dolphins would lose potential fans due to pre-existing hate often overlook Brothers in the argument.

jim_57

Staff member
I'd be more than happy to see a mix between a Bombers and Western Corridor type bid, representing a specific part of Brisbane/SE QLD with an original identity. A couple good ones I have seen on here for example were Kookaburras or Kings.

When I say specific part I mean North Brisbane & Sunshine Coast or Ipswich & Logan. Not falling in to the same trap as Sydney with suburb names in a national comp.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

If the Bombers actually have a business plan as good as they say, the ARLC could choose a brand FOR them and tell them they can have the license is they accept that brand.

I think people are stuck on this idea that clubs need to be accepted as they are presented now. The ARLC can make demands on their business structure, why not on their branding too...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I would actually make the argument that Brothers would be a more divisive brand than Dolphins or Jets.

I remember growing up in Rockhampton, you either played for Brothers or you hated Brothers generally speaking. I've heard similar things on here about other regional Brothers clubs.

Again this wouldn't be make or break to the bid, but people arguing that Jets and Dolphins would lose potential fans due to pre-existing hate often overlook Brothers in the argument.

Honestly, divisive is a good thing...

"Love" a club or "hate" them, at least the fans care. The worst thing a club can be is inoffensive. (i think being inoffensive is the biggest problem with the Titans brand. Better not to repeat that)

Desert Qlder

First Grade

Difference also is that Brothers have way more fans than those clubs, especially such an isolated little place like Redcliffe.