What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Women's NRL

Diesel

Referee
Heard that womens games are being covered? I'd say by FOX but not sure. The major win for the ladies game is the grandfinal on grandfinal NRL day prior to the big onje. That's very positive. It will be interesting to see what the weekly coverage will be like!
Does the current TV deal give free programming of any WNRL to 9/Fox if they choose to cover it?

Does the current TV deal allow for an expansion game to be sold for the NRL?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Is there likely to be any corporate or TV network support for the WNRL?

Man, can't help but be jealous of the support the NAB and 7network give the WAFL. The NAB ads are something we would be pleased with for our mens competition. And every game live by seven.
Nope, only 2-3 of the four games each round are on Seven, the rest are on Fox.

Stallion

First Grade

Some games on channel7 ? That's a change in domestic coverage. Thought channel 9 might cover it? If 7 do it at least it will be well marketed and promoted on free to air tv.

T-Boon

Coach

Actually I looked it up and it looks like it is only one game on seven each week. The first round was an exception with 2 games.

T-Boon

Coach
Some games on channel7 ? That's a change in domestic coverage. Thought channel 9 might cover it? If 7 do it at least it will be well marketed and promoted on free to air tv.

Nah we are talking about what seven is doing with the WFB (womens fumble ball) coverage.

Stallion

First Grade
Nah we are talking about what seven is doing with the WFB (womens fumble ball) coverage.

Oh. Wonder whats doing with the womens rugbyleague? Found the world cup games very entertaining so the women's games should be covered if they are smart!

Wizardman

First Grade
In saying that, womens sport in general has improved massively over a short period of time. The national netball comp is great to watch, womens rugby 7s and the rugby league world cup womens final were great to watch.
Yesterday was the second game of womens afl I have watched and both games were atrocious in terms of skill level.

Aren't a lot of the afl women recruited in from literally every other sport in the country - nrl, ru 7s, netball, basketball, swimming, athletics, hockey, soccer, cricket???

They have f**k all talent pool without the other sport. Again, AFL with more puff and spin than actual substance.

Jatz15

Juniors
I’d like to think that it gives the Nrl a bargaining chip. Afl tv deal also had the wafl tied into it. You could argue it helped push up the price or maybe not. With cbs/10, 9 and fox in the picture for winter sport it could help gain a small deal.
Actually, I think the AFLW deal is completely separate. It only goes until the end of this year I believe.
AFLW this weekend had similar to better ratings on Fox than A league. A league gets paid by Fox, hard to argue AFLW wouldn't get some coin out of them from next year. This will be limited by the small number of games available, so it will not amount to much, certainly not enough to cover costs of the league. Think it would be hard for AFL to get money out of 7 for AFLW, beyond 7 covering production costs, and it certainly didn't add to the value of the AFL TV deal.

Jatz15

Juniors
Aren't a lot of the afl women recruited in from literally every other sport in the country - nrl, ru 7s, netball, basketball, swimming, athletics, hockey, soccer, cricket???

They have f**k all talent pool without the other sport. Again, AFL with more puff and spin than actual substance.
Both true, but untrue. Most of players recruited from other sports were AFL fans first, and often played juniors at a high level before being forced to quit, and taking up other sports. Last years league MVP, basketballer Erin Phillips, was once considered possibly the best 12 year old football talent in the country of either gender before being forced to quit.
They also do have a huge talent pool, but most of it is in the 13 - 17 year old age range, so they supplement with cross code hoppers in the meantime.

Canard

Immortal
Both true, but untrue. Most of players recruited from other sports were AFL fans first, and often played juniors at a high level before being forced to quit, and taking up other sports. Last years league MVP, basketballer Erin Phillips, was once considered possibly the best 12 year old football talent in the country of either gender before being forced to quit.
They also do have a huge talent pool, but most of it is in the 13 - 17 year old age range, so they supplement with cross code hoppers in the meantime.

Straight from AFL propaganda central.

The real reason for AFLW was revealed on the weekend. The AFL want $300M from the Vic government to build new ovals to accommodate all the "girls" that are playing the sport.

T-Boon

Coach
Anyway I hope the NRL makes good use of the womens State of Origin this year. That 3 game series is something huge our rivals will never have. Going off how good the Jillaroos were to watch I think the games will look fantastic in comparison to other womens sport.
If they get it right the WSOO will rate extremely well on TV. Get someone like Telstra or NRMA or one of those companies that like to do those "we care about you" type ads as a partner like what NAB are doing for womens VFL. It would potentially be a great prelude to the start of the WNRL season.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Correct! Roy Masters called them out on this on Offsiders. Carro didn't like it but it is true. His point was that the women's NRL is only using players with rugby league in their blood.

BTW I actually like the angle our game is taking with the women's version. The world cup was a joint tournament with a men's and women's event and now they seem to be following the same path with NRL, SuperLeague and State of Origin. There is one banner with a men's and women's event - like the Olympics or Grand Slam Tennis.

The AFL need a look at Moi, look at Moi moment. AFLW is it. Next it'll be AFLX.

Meanwhile, every other sport in Australia has men and women and children playing it - from a wide range of backgrounds and abilities.

GAZF

First Grade
The AFL need a look at Moi, look at Moi moment. AFLW is it. Next it'll be AFLX.

Meanwhile, every other sport in Australia has men and women and children playing it - from a wide range of backgrounds and abilities.
I wonder what AFLY and AFLZ will be.