What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons vs Hull

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Only 10 days (from tomorrow) until we get our first taste of footy, my friends. 10 f**king days. I can taste it!!!

Does anyone know if we are treating this game as a trial? As in having a playing squad of 20+
Or do we have to pick a 17 only?

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Only 10 days (from tomorrow) until we get our first taste of footy, my friends. 10 f**king days. I can taste it!!!

Does anyone know if we are treating this game as a trial? As in having a playing squad of 20+

TRVR, if we win, it’s a full blown trial.
If we come runner up, it’s only a gimmick game not to be taken seriously.

I’d be going full bore and try to get as many wins up before game 1.

ouryear

Juniors
TRVR, if we win, it’s a full blown trial.
If we come runner up, it’s only a gimmick game not to be taken seriously.

I’d be going full bore and try to get as many wins up before game 1.
Yep, otherwise flying12,000 miles or whatever it is, will be a waste of time.

Bring on a blood fest I say, boots and all, winner takes all.

mickeylane

Bench
I’m certain he will give time to every first grade candidate barring maybe Hunt, Frizell and Widdop - I think Graham will step out for a short run and captain the team.

I think we will see our potential first choice team for 2018 during the 1st half of Charity Shield.

mickeylane

Bench
Potential run out team:

Dufty
McDonald
Lafai
Lomax
Mann

Field
???

Ah Mau
Mciness
Vaughan
Simms
Host
JDB

Luciano
Sele
Allgood
Robson

Old Timer

Coach
I’m certain he will give time to every first grade candidate barring maybe Hunt, Frizell and Widdop - I think Graham will step out for a short run and captain the team.

I think we will see our potential first choice team for 2018 during the 1st half of Charity Shield.
If our 2 biggest signings are not in the run out team for our 1st game of the year then someone needs to be shot.
They need to be sprinting onto that field in the Big Red V and making an instant statement to the fans even if they only stay for 20 minutes or so.
I'm f**king positive the fans don't want to see Allgood.

watatank

Coach
I agree that the 1,6,7,9 needs to all play together as much as possible. Not sure about the rest of the team, I'd imagine they will rest a few players in prep for Charity Shield. I can see something us resting Aitken, Nightingale, Vaughan, Frizell and De Belin. So we'd end up with something like

1. Dufty
2. MacDonald
3. Mann
4. Lafai
5. Herbert
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Graham
9. McInnes
10. Ah Mau
11. Host
12. Sims
13. Sele

14. Lawrie
15. Leilua
16. Allgood
17. Latimore
18. Robson
19. Lomax
20. Field

getsmarty

Immortal
Triple M Are Getting You To The International Double Header!
Register here.....
s1718-022-wigan-warriors-tour_a4-adverts-landscape_v3_updated-players_pr.jpg

Are you a Rugby league fan?

Win tickets to watch the World Club Champions Wigan Warriors face South Sydney Rabbitohs and Hull FC face St George Illawarra Dragons at ANZ Stadium, Sydney on Saturday 17 February, 2018.

Kick off the new footy season with the International Rugby League Double Header at ANZ Stadium on Saturday February 17. Tickets from $29 here.

Want to be there?

Just tell us in 32 words or less who will win and why?

Please Note: Entrants must be at least 18 yrs or older. Online Registration Period opens Monday 5th February 2017 at 09:00am AEDST and closes Wednesday 14th February 2017 at 12:00pm AEDST. All valid entries will be judged and winner will receive 2 x tickets to NRL International Double Header. Eligibility criteria terms and conditions apply, see Terms and Conditions for details.

https://www.triplem.com.au/win/sydney/nrl-international-header?station=sydney&geoRedirect=true

Redhoopz

Juniors
If our 2 biggest signings are not in the run out team for our 1st game of the year then someone needs to be shot.
They need to be sprinting onto that field in the Big Red V and making an instant statement to the fans even if they only stay for 20 minutes or so.
I'm f**king positive the fans don't want to see Allgood.

What statement would they need to make?

Honestly, I couldn't care who they play. I wouldn't be risking anything for a trial, especially the first trial. They don't mean anything. It doesn't matter whether they win or loose.

The charity shield is the only trial that you would expect to see a near full strength team for a half.

Crush

Coach
Aren't the trials about getting the team match fit and making sure that the combinations are gelling? Why in the world would we waste time playing Jai Field at 6 when there is absolutely no chance in hell he will play 6 for the dragons in the next 4 fricken years!?
Surely we select our starting 13 presuming they are all fit then substitute the outsiders in once we are satisfied that they have had a good hit out and the combos are working.
No? Am I off the mark?

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Personally id like to see all the young guns tried against HULL so that supercoach gets an idea whether Garrick' ,lomax and other young guns can shine ..........

Crush

Coach

Faaaaaaaaaarothing!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Timer

Coach
What statement would they need to make?

Honestly, I couldn't care who they play. I wouldn't be risking anything for a trial, especially the first trial. They don't mean anything. It doesn't matter whether they win or loose.

The charity shield is the only trial that you would expect to see a near full strength team for a half.
We only play 2 trials prior to a tough Rd 1 game against the Broncos.
So you think that unopposed training drills is sufficiently good enough for 2 high profile signings who have only just commenced training due to the break after the World Cup to fit into a brand new side with no hiccups?
RE making a statement, these players have come from long careers at other clubs and have been heralded by many fans as the players that will make a substantial difference to our chances.
The fans are deserving to see these players at the very 1st opportunity and the players are deserving of running out and showing all and sundry that they are now "ST GI" and are here to make that difference and watch out every other team as they are on a mission.
If trials don't matter then why do we play them at all?
I would love to see you go down and tell James Graham that he needs to be kept in cotton wool, that trials mean nothing and it doesn't matter if you win or lose. LOL you would need to book an ambulance for yourself.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Aren't the trials about getting the team match fit and making sure that the combinations are gelling? Why in the world would we waste time playing Jai Field at 6 when there is absolutely no chance in hell he will play 6 for the dragons in the next 4 fricken years!?
Surely we select our starting 13 presuming they are all fit then substitute the outsiders in once we are satisfied that they have had a good hit out and the combos are working.
No? Am I off the mark?

No Crush, your not off the mark .............. in fact, your all over it like a rash!

dragonssamy61

First Grade
They will start with the top 13 player and will give the e while squad a run.
The only guys who want get a run are people who are not over there if season injuries like mybe aitken.
But traibing this week will tell

epDragon62

First Grade
Totally agree we need the likely team working together against another team ASAP. If we get a chance to throw in some young’uns in the second half, fine.

We have to hit the ground running in round 1 and it can’t be a disjointed team.

LINESPEED

Juniors
No? Am I off the mark?

We'd have to be the most conservative club in the NRL re treatment of our juniors. And there's such a conservative discussion roundabout on this forum.
Fact is we lost 2 of our best youngsters in Bird & Cook and will lose another 3 or so if the young guys aren't given a genuine shot by mid season. McDonald's & Aitken's ( & Nightingale's?) retention almost guarantees 2 will depart sooner rather than later. We seem to seed the comp with our juniors and forwards still in their prime. The rot began with our loss of hard man Kevin Ryan in 1966. He became captain coach of Canterbury and they ended our run of 11 premierships by beating us in the semis in 1967. I'm off topic, but it still freaks me out that we lost Ennis, because IMHO there'd've been fewer soft cock forward performances over the last 10 years with him in the pack.

Anyway try compiling your own list & you'll see what I mean.

It amounts to squandered premierships.

Never would've happened under Facer - who oversaw 12 premierships!

I remember in my younger days making up potential Australian teams with our prematurely lost players - WTF it's still happening!
Talk about fiddling while Rome burns?

So best team against Hull FFS!
Stick on the hard men & goers & always select on form

Last edited:

Latest posts