What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Graham.

Old Timer

Coach
Gotta hand it to you OT...

You stick by your guns alright, and yes there is merit in what you say.

However, if we are better off with him, and he has exposed some of our deficiencies, then i say welcome aboard James.

I think the article raises issues, but also highlights that Graham's ilk, has been missed in our club for some time. Yes we have a great pack, yes, Friz is a beast as is Vaughan and co, but Graham hopefully brings that edge we lack and the desire to go the extra yard.
I agree with your comment but get pissed off with the noise about how he has people doing "extras" or doing "this & that"
He will bring a hard edge and a steely resolve but my question is where has that been and who is responsible for us not already having it?
Just annoyed that loafers and drop kicks still get a jersey whilst really professional players are charged with changing the culture.
I thought it was other peoples jobs to do that.

possm

Coach
I agree with your comment but get pissed off with the noise about how he has people doing "extras" or doing "this & that"
He will bring a hard edge and a steely resolve but my question is where has that been and who is responsible for us not already having it?
Just annoyed that loafers and drop kicks still get a jersey whilst really professional players are charged with changing the culture.
Team culture begins at the top. Look no further than our coaching staff, our captain and our player leadership group. The fact that a new player can come in and confidently assume the leadership role of leader of our forwards and bark out words of encouragement and encouragement says it all. Graham will no doubt be a great addition to our forward pack for as long as he can be injury free and stay on the field. There is no doubt in my mind that we should have kept Packer to complete our pack.

It seems we always had the dollars to do this and if the proposed extension of his contract was timed better, he would have been signed on what now appears to be bargain salary. Just imagine a prop rotation that comprises of:
Vaughan
Packer
Graham
Ah Mau

Back up with a reserve grade prop rotation of:
Latimore
Allgood
Lawrie
Kerr

Also if we kept Packer it is plain to see we would only need one of the two backup props; Allgood or Latimore.

Last edited:

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
Team culture begins at the top. Look no further than our coaching staff, our captain and our player leadership group. The fact that a new player can come in and confidently assume the leadership role of leader of our forwards and bark out words of encouragement and encouragement says it all. Graham will no doubt be a great addition to our forward pack for as long as he can be injury free and stay on the field. There is no doubt in my mind that we should have kept Packer to complete our pack. It seems we always had the dollars to do this and if the proposed extension of his contract was timed better, he would have been signed on what now appears to be bargain salary. Just imagine a prop rotation that comprises of:

Vaughan
Packer
Graham
Ah Mau

Latimore
Allgood
Lawrie
Kerr

Lawrie for Packer. After re-watching the game against the Dogs, he impressed. He just needs to get his fitness up to NRL standard.

Seoul Dragon

Juniors
Team culture begins at the top. Look no further than our coaching staff, our captain and our player leadership group. The fact that a new player can come in and confidently assume the leadership role of leader of our forwards and bark out words of encouragement and encouragement says it all. Graham will no doubt be a great addition to our forward pack for as long as he can be injury free and stay on the field. There is no doubt in my mind that we should have kept Packer to complete our pack.

It seems we always had the dollars to do this and if the proposed extension of his contract was timed better, he would have been signed on what now appears to be bargain salary. Just imagine a prop rotation that comprises of:
Vaughan
Packer
Graham
Ah Mau

Latimore
Allgood
Lawrie
Kerr

Also if we kept Packer it is plain to see we would only need one of the two backup props; Allgood or Latimore.

I agree with the Graham comments fully.

Vision, culture, change etc does start at the top and is then driven and rolled out by a leadership team and other key people/"champions".

If Graham is contributiong and adding value to this process as appears to be thr case, then I say bring it on becoz imo it hasnt been something the dragons have done well of late.

Brutalitops

Juniors

Vaughan
Packer
Graham
Ah Mau

Latimore
Allgood
Lawrie
Kerr

I'm personally glad we didn't re-sign Packer at that price. I feel he has already reached his peak footy and, even though Allgood and Latimore aren't his quality, they combined make up less than half what Packer would have commanded on our cap.

Regardless, I think players like Graham, Lawrie, Host and Leilua will fill that void anyway and are also better prospects for us that Packer would have been.

possm

Coach
Lawrie for Packer. After re-watching the game against the Dogs, he impressed. He just needs to get his fitness up to NRL standard.
Lawrie, Sele and Kerr were not up to first grade standard last year. Hopefully they are up to relieving an injured prop - off the bench - this season; this would depend on how Latimore and Allgood perform. When the prop rotation were burnt out last season, there was not the depth in the prop rotation to adequately cover injuries and the huge load put on the props under the power play plan.

kit66

Bench

I'm not Graham's biggest fan to be honest but I would have thought that that is exactly why we brought him over, for his enthusiasm and the inspiration he can provide. It's a sad fact that recent Dragon's teams seem to be hit with this inexplicable mid-year malaise that we simply must address if we're to play finals footy. I don't know why we do this year after year. Last year our drop in intensity in the forwards was very noticeable, maybe JDB and Vaughan were disappointed missing out on origin or Packer and Thompson were thinking of their futures, who knows but Graham is just the type who can spur a team on when it matters. A slight pick up in intensity in a few games last year and we'd have made the finals. If he can do that for us then I'll become a Graham fan.
All I expect from him is some inspiration and some top notch defence, nothing else, except maybe a few quality off-loads.

BennyV

Referee
Big ask for such a young kid to become part of the prop rotation full time. Will be at least 2 years before he's up to a full season, and another 2 years before he can start pushing for a starting spot. It's the way it is with props, due to the physicality and workload they take that little bit longer to hit their straps. He should be one of the first forwards called upon in place of injury.

ouryear

Juniors
I'm not Graham's biggest fan to be honest but I would have thought that that is exactly why we brought him over, for his enthusiasm and the inspiration he can provide. It's a sad fact that recent Dragon's teams seem to be hit with this inexplicable mid-year malaise that we simply must address if we're to play finals footy. I don't know why we do this year after year. Last year our drop in intensity in the forwards was very noticeable, maybe JDB and Vaughan were disappointed missing out on origin or Packer and Thompson were thinking of their futures, who knows but Graham is just the type who can spur a team on when it matters. A slight pick up in intensity in a few games last year and we'd have made the finals. If he can do that for us then I'll become a Graham fan.
All I expect from him is some inspiration and some top notch defence, nothing else, except maybe a few quality off-loads.
Ummm, he is an English international, part of a team that almost beat a combined QLD / NSW team called Australia.

I am expecting a LOT from Jimmy boy.

kit66

Bench
Ummm, he is an English international, part of a team that almost beat a combined QLD / NSW team called Australia.

I am expecting a LOT from Jimmy boy.

Yeah mate I know who he is, I'm just not as excitable as some. If we'd got Klemmer or Kasiano who knows, maybe I'd show a little more enthusiasm.
I'm totally aware of his abilities and what he can bring to the team as I pointed out - a bit of inspiration to get us over the line in close games, World class defence and maybe some of those sweet off-loads you see in his high-lights reels.
What more are you expecting from him ?

Last edited:
Yeah mate I know who he is, I'm just not as excitable as some. If we'd got Klemmer or Kasiano who knows, maybe I'd show a little more enthusiasm.
I'm totally aware of his abilities and what he can bring to the team as I pointed out - a bit of inspiration to get us over the line in close games, World class defence and maybe some of those sweet off-loads you see in his high-lights reels.
What more you're expecting from him ?

Kasiano? Ploiz...

You’ll get consistency out of Graham.

How often do you get two good games in a row out of Kasiano?

Kasiano is more of an impact player who plays off blokes like Graham, for which I’d take Frizz and Sims over Kasiano.

ouryear

Juniors
What more are you expecting from him ?
Telling the referee to referee properly, going as far to point at the ref with his finger, and telling him to referee better or else.

If a soft try is scored against us, going up to the culprits and demanding excellence.

Any red V not wearing dirty, filthy jersey with some signs of blood 20 minutes in, asking him what is going on and telling him to pull his finger out.

3 and 4 tackles in a row, not 1 here and there ....like a few guilty players we have.

Not taking shite from opposition players, they will be told you do something to us, I will return it 10 fold back to you.

When we lose, not walking off smiling and chatting to the opposition.
Instead, being filthy we lost.

To get a picture, google him. ...then click on images.

A tough mother we have, thank god.

ouryear

Juniors
@ouryear

Imagine having James, when we played the Knights ( i believe ) a few years back and Wille Mason was mic'd up for the game. He was giving to our pack, calling us soft and wherever else and not a peep put of our boys.

Gotta feeling GRaham would have given Mason an ear load if not more :)
Geeze, I forgot about that awful day, Willie Mason of all people scaring our pack, wow, it was pathetic, not a peep.

I was embarrassed to go to work on Monday.

With Jimmy Graham, Sims, Ah Mau, Fritzell ...and Co, I wish Willie Wonker was still playing. ......

It will not happen in 2018 that I know

Last edited:

kit66

Bench
Telling the referee to referee properly, going as far to point at the ref with his finger, and telling him to referee better or else.

If a soft try is scored against us, going up to the culprits and demanding excellence.

Any red V not wearing dirty, filthy jersey with some signs of blood 20 minutes in, asking him what is going on and telling him to pull his finger out.

3 and 4 tackles in a row, not 1 here and there ....like a few guilty players we have.

Not taking shite from opposition players, they will be told you do something to us, I will return it 10 fold back to you.

When we lose, not walking off smiling and chatting to the opposition.
Instead, being filthy we lost.

To get a picture, google him. ...then click on images.

A tough mother we have, thank god.

Love your enthusiasm mate, it's a rarity on this forum. I hope it all unfolds just as you describe it.

possm

Coach
Kasiano? Ploiz...

You’ll get consistency out of Graham.

How often do you get two good games in a row out of Kasiano?

Kasiano is more of an impact player who plays off blokes like Graham, for which I’d take Frizz and Sims over Kasiano.
Just watch Kasiano kill it in 2018. He will be a lot fitter and so be able to play more minutes. I believe he will be in the mix of SOO. NSW don't need players like Woods when players like Vaughan and Kasiano will be available.

Just watch Kasiano kill it in 2018. He will be a lot fitter and so be able to play more minutes. I believe he will be in the mix of SOO. NSW don't need players like Woods when players like Vaughan and Kasiano will be available.

No worries but it’s speculation at this point.

Who’s to say that his bulk wasn’t his advantage and now he’s just a swarthy Kirk Reynoldson?

Frank Facer

First Grade
Kassiano isn't eligible for NSW. He had the choice of choosing to play for QLD or NZ and chose NZ.

I do agree with you about Kasiano killing it this year. I do wish that we would have signed him.

Pro Dragons

Juniors
After word filtered through that we had definitely signed Graham I'm finding it hard waiting till the season begins. I have not felt like this since Wayne Bennett signed on. I think he is our biggest signing closely followed by Ben Hunt since the Bennett days. His influence on the club and team both on and off the field will be immense. Bring on 2018!!!

Latest posts