What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Third Party Payments ~ a crock or what!?

ouryear

Juniors
Imagine our TPAs from 1956 to 1975, and even 1977 through to 1980 (Baths Babes), if there had of been such a thing as TPAs back then.

Shit, we would have been richer than Man U, Chelsea and Man City combined.

How the mighty have fallen.

What the hell happened?!!

possm

Coach
Imagine our TPAs from 1956 to 1975, and even 1977 through to 1980 (Baths Babes), if there had of been such a thing as TPAs back then.

Doust happened! And it will be very hard to undo the wrong he has done.

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade

The leagues club was booming and the government pokie tax was still low , that's what happened. Mind you having all that money didn't mean we were fallibly run. Shelling out big money to buy two five eights ( Branson/ Hawthorne ) , paying a player to sit out a year ( Whittenberg ) Buying an English back rower so our competitors didn't ( Huddart ) and all this without buying our own ground and the leagues club reinvesting in property to spread out it's assets.

ouryear

Juniors
The leagues club was booming and the government pokie tax was still low , that's what happened. Mind you having all that money didn't mean we were fallibly run. Shelling out big money to buy two five eights ( Branson/ Hawthorne ) , paying a player to sit out a year ( Whittenberg ) Buying an English back rower so our competitors didn't ( Huddart ) and all this without buying our own ground and the leagues club reinvesting in property to spread out it's assets.

Yep, we missed the boat alright

possm

Coach
Surely, the expenditure on players was out of a different bucket of money than that for running of the leagues club.

I'd day lack of fore-sight and poor management skills would be closer to the point. Look at Souths who no longer rely on pokies for their main revenue. Look at Canterbury who used to be nothing but a public bar and look at Penrith who operated out of a tin shed and now one of the grand leagues clubs with a very healthy revenue stream.

It's all to do with Doust and the Board.

Maxwell

Juniors
Third party agreements are just another way to cheat the salary cap, why do you think Bronco's kept those Aust test teams in club football all those years. Red Hill paper bags were common knowledge. Roosters are doing it , that's why they can offer a shit load of money for someone and still be under the cap, TPA'S other wise known as Nicks brown paper bags. And auditors come in and wacko they are under the cap by half a million and have a 10 million dollar team . TPA's cant be controlled or audited , so they should be banned .

SaintPauli

Juniors
Go to Kogarah and you'll see the same thing.

As the team is announced on the big screen, the player's sponsors get a mention as well.
A point to highlight is the Roosters were the first and did the on screen players sponsers many years prior other clubs. Hence their cheating success.
Tpa system has a biased effect on the game and there is no level playing field.

I agree all players contracts and importantly tpa's must be registered with NRL. I.e. NRL should also cap the tpa's. Therefore if there there are any under the table dealings and if caught the club's would face huge fines and even a 1 year de-registration.

Seoul Dragon

Juniors
It's incomprehensible to me why the NRL work hard to have a structured and governed cap to control talent distribution and ......

Then undo it all with an open slather murky black hole called TPPs......

I understand the restraint of trade arguments, but surely the NRL can manage and control TPPs within that context and eliminate the current crap that some clubs manipulate better than others.

denis preston

First Grade
Surely, the expenditure on players was out of a different bucket of money than that for running of the leagues club.

I'd day lack of fore-sight and poor management skills would be closer to the point. Look at Souths who no longer rely on pokies for their main revenue. Look at Canterbury who used to be nothing but a public bar and look at Penrith who operated out of a tin shed and now one of the grand leagues clubs with a very healthy revenue stream.

It's all to do with Doust and the Board.

Poss , was talking about the 60's & 70's era. The Leagues club and the football club were basically the same and that was my point re lack of foresight . The player of the year , which was open to all grades , in 1968 ( Denis Brandley ) got a waterfront block of land in the newly built Slyvania Waters ! Thats how much money we had to spend !

blacksafake

First Grade
Heard on radio that the Broncos boasted about their TPA stating that they have available to them the total of all 15 other clubs.If so it's a disgrace & shows that it just doesn't work.Which is why they don't want another Brisbane team up there.I remember reading Lockyers contract was 250k & the rest in tpa's.Yet Parra weren't allowed to sign Israel because the league said their offer was too low.LOL.

SGMax

Juniors
It's incomprehensible to me why the NRL work hard to have a structured and governed cap to control talent distribution and ......

Then undo it all with an open slather murky black hole called TPPs......

I understand the restraint of trade arguments, but surely the NRL can manage and control TPPs within that context and eliminate the current crap that some clubs manipulate better than others.

Totally agree but the NRL don't need to control TPPs, they need to ensure that contracts under the cap are for realistic values.
That is, a million dollar player uses up a million dollars of cap space.
Any contracts that vary from the generally accepted value of a player (or even the alternate bids from rival clubs) should be rejected.
I have been suggesting a committee to value each and every player based on set criteria.
TPPs should be irrelevant if the cap is enforced properly.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Totally agree but the NRL don't need to control TPPs, they need to ensure that contracts under the cap are for realistic values.
Any contracts that vary from the generally accepted value of a player (or even the alternate bids from rival clubs) should be rejected.
I have been suggesting a committee to value each and every player based on set criteria.

This is the only way to make the system work. Getting the Clubs to agree to it, that's another matter.

possm

Coach
So a 500k player is offered 500k by the Dragons and Raiders and signs with Melbourne for 500k plus 1m TPA. If you were the player, would you do the same.

However, if the player manager arranged a 5 year 1m TPA for a player and that TPA was signed off by the NR under new rules, it would not matter who the player signed with or how long his playing contract for a particular club is, he would still get his 1m TPA.

Seoul Dragon

Juniors
So a 500k player is offered 500k by the Dragons and Raiders and signs with Melbourne for 500k plus 1m TPA. If you were the player, would you do the same.

However, if the player manager arranged a 5 year 1m TPA for a player and that TPA was signed off by the NR under new rules, it would not matter who the player signed with or how long his playing contract for a particular club is, he would still get his 1m TPA.

I think this concept has a lot of merit (if I understand it correctly) in that it will take the management and negotiation of TPPs away from clubs and place it in the hands of player managers with the NRL having an overview role ensuring TPPs are registered and that they meet certain criteria.

It takes the leverage of TTPs away from clubs ( at last those who did it well) and at the same time still enables players to gain TTP benefits and sponsors to gain exposure.

Importantly it will bring transparency and bring the cap back into play as a talent distribution mechanism, which is what it is meant to be.

The only issue that springs to mind with TTP agreements being ongoing for a certain contract term irrespective of which club the player resides at is that some TPPs would be location specific.

This approach will place an increased focus on player managers to have the network and connections and negotiation skills to match some of the well connected heavy hitters on a few NRL club boards.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Heard on radio that the Broncos boasted about their TPA stating that they have available to them the total of all 15 other clubs.If so it's a disgrace & shows that it just doesn't work.Which is why they don't want another Brisbane team up there.I remember reading Lockyers contract was 250k & the rest in tpa's.Yet Parra weren't allowed to sign Israel because the league said their offer was too low.LOL.
So is the NRL Corrupt ? WE NEED AN INVESTIGATION! Let's see what Todd Greenburge dishes out once he meets up with all clubs CEOs about tpa's ?

possm

Coach
Lol, and the Broncs still don't win. Underperformers in my book.
And they would finish much further down the ladder if it was an even playing field. It takes a lot of different elements to win a comp. As we found in 2010, you usually need a very good coach, a good playing squad, a lot of luck with injuries and the bounce of the ball to go your way for most of the season. Now having the money required to provide the best training facilities, to buy a very good coaching staff and yes to buy a top line playing squad using TPA.