What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Mundine

Life's Good

Coach
I don't think many are disputing the penalty try, that was just the icing on the cake. Perfect end for Harrigan.

I look at the entire second half: Wishart having his head almost taken off by a Melbourne defender (no penalty), a forward pass try to Melbourne, and the way that Nikau kept interfering in the play-the-ball - how he wasn't penalised defies belief. That's just a few.

The Melbourne team that came out in the second half was a different team to the first half - on a number of levels. Harrigan gave them a bucket load of free reign, and Melbourne knew it.
IMO that penalty try was a great smokescreen to some horrible refereeing, as you rightly point out. Not that it would have happened but any scrutiny of the officiating went out the window as a result of that PT.
It still burns me to this day.

kit66

Bench
I think you're missing the video where Mundine calls for capital punishment against homosexuals to "stop it from happening".

This article has been edited since it was originally published. The video link was an interview with Mundine himself saying those exact words.

Fully understand what you're saying, Murdoch is an evil old merkin, but these are genuinely Mundine's beliefs. I don't think this should be a debate about validity of news sources when he is on camera spouting these disgusting beliefs, then hiding behind Aboriginal culture to justify it.

Is he hiding behind his culture and Islam or just expressing the beliefs he's picked up from those sources ?
I'm not sure Aboriginal Culture forbids Homosexuality as he says but Islam certainly does, as does most of Christianity, and a large proportion of Australian society are both homophobic and racist. Until very recently gay people were regularly getting beaten to death in Australia. You can't say this isn't about the media when they live off this stuff and Mundine is like money in the bank for them. An outspoken homophobic Aboriginal Muslim, f**king gold. Sells papers, sells advertising space. Just whip it up with a good dose of hyperbole.
Homophobia, racism, sexism, bigotry they're all appalling and need to be called out at every opportunity but are you really that outraged and disgusted with this one man when you can walk up to any Catholic or Mulim or Scientologist or most old people sitting in Aussie pubs and RSL's or out working on Aussie work sites and say " do you think homophobia is a sin ? " and "do you think it should be punished ? " and get an answer not far off Mundine's.
Plus you know already that the Murdoch press are decidedly anti Mulsim and anti Aboriginal which also needs to be called out.

gregstar

Referee
I totally disagree with the comment that Mundine cost us the GF.

Yes in hindsight he should have passed the ball to the unmarked player.

But how many times out of 100 would he have scored that try if it wasn't for the defenders foot? He backed himself to score the try that he would usually have scored.

He was not responsible for the following 30 or so minutes. Jowls scored what should have been the match winner not long afterwards. When he scored that try, I thought the game was done & dusted then.

That's not to say that what he dishes up on the TV isn't offensive crap. But I'd suggest half of it is for click-bait & publicity. And it sure does work.

I cannot believe its been nearly 20 years since he quit. He shafted the club with his exit to the drongos. He jabbed when he said after leaving the drongos that he would go to the highest bidder. He shafted the club with the manor of his quitting in 2000 & we lost an extraordinary talent.

I simply pine for the days before all this sh*t. The team was simply not the same when he left. Tampon stepped into the breach & was by comparison - sh*t.

I'm amazed that I still cannot join the throng that wants the guy eviscerated. I guess yearning for the past weighs more heavily upon me.

Saintsified

Bench
What Mundine says will never be as bad as what Changa was accused of...true or not who knows but I don't see people going off about that much. All I know is words are just that, Mundine has a big mouth but only the weak are affected by it.

Changa's issues clearly didn't sell papers as much as Mundines mouth can.

Sensationalism at it's best.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I totally disagree with the comment that Mundine cost us the GF.

Yes in hindsight he should have passed the ball to the unmarked player.

But how many times out of 100 would he have scored that try if it wasn't for the defenders foot? He backed himself to score the try that he would usually have scored.

He was not responsible for the following 30 or so minutes. Jowls scored what should have been the match winner not long afterwards. When he scored that try, I thought the game was done & dusted then.

That's not to say that what he dishes up on the TV isn't offensive crap. But I'd suggest half of it is for click-bait & publicity. And it sure does work.

I cannot believe its been nearly 20 years since he quit. He shafted the club with his exit to the drongos. He jabbed when he said after leaving the drongos that he would go to the highest bidder. He shafted the club with the manor of his quitting in 2000 & we lost an extraordinary talent.

I simply pine for the days before all this sh*t. The team was simply not the same when he left. Tampon stepped into the breach & was by comparison - sh*t.

I'm amazed that I still cannot join the throng that wants the guy eviscerated. I guess yearning for the past weighs more heavily upon me.
I'm not even sure it would have been a clean pass. Sure, the pass was on but Mundine obviously balanced up the odds and decided to go himself. Spilt second decision. In the end, the only difference was a defender's foot.

And you're right... so many years ago. If that happened in any other game and to any other player, I doubt we would be talking about it after all this time.

kit66

Bench

From about 50 seconds onwards.

Well there you go, not a rant but a quite softly spoken statement of the beliefs of his culture and religion. He's not angry, he's not calling for any violence toward gays, he's not calling for his beliefs to be forced on anyone.
You want to hear a rant, tune into one of the talk back parasites like Alan Jones most days, spitting his bile and vitriol at anything and everything and getting away with it time after time because he's white and powerful and no-one has the balls to stand up to him.
Not having a go at you TomRedRiver at all, I agree homophobia is a blight on our society but so is this kind of manipulation by the "press". I won't even go into how hurtful I believe Reality TV is on our society.

kit66

Bench
What an absolute waste of space. I don't understand how someone from a minority group that constantly complains about not being treated equally could then go and attack another minority group of people in such a way.
He's a tool bag.

That's a great point too, you think he'd know better. He's such an easy target and he seems to just let everyone down, consistently.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Well there you go, not a rant but a quite softly spoken statement of the beliefs of his culture and religion. He's not angry, he's not calling for any violence toward gays, he's not calling for his beliefs to be forced on anyone.
You want to hear a rant, tune into one of the talk back parasites like Alan Jones most days, spitting his bile and vitriol at anything and everything and getting away with it time after time because he's white and powerful and no-one has the balls to stand up to him.
Not having a go at you TomRedRiver at all, I agree homophobia is a blight on our society but so is this kind of manipulation by the "press". I won't even go into how hurtful I believe Reality TV is on our society.

I never said he was having a rant, I said that I wanted to have a rant about his comments. And for the record, they are not the beliefs of his culture. Using Indigenous culture as a shield to hide behind these beliefs is so wrong. He calls himself an advocate and spokesperson for Aboriginal Australians, where if you ask most of them how they feel about Mundine, they completely abandon him and don't identify with anything he says.

I'm with you on a lot of your points, but I don't think this is media manipulation, I think this is just a very twisted man with very warped views who has been caught out. He's on camera saying homosexuals should be killed. I remember a man who is pretty infamous in our modern history for targeting a minority group that he didn't agree with. What was his name again?

kit66

Bench
I never said he was having a rant, I said that I wanted to have a rant about his comments. And for the record, they are not the beliefs of his culture. Using Indigenous culture as a shield to hide behind these beliefs is so wrong. He calls himself an advocate and spokesperson for Aboriginal Australians, where if you ask most of them how they feel about Mundine, they completely abandon him and don't identify with anything he says.

I'm with you on a lot of your points, but I don't think this is media manipulation, I think this is just a very twisted man with very warped views who has been caught out. He's on camera saying homosexuals should be killed. I remember a man who is pretty infamous in our modern history for targeting a minority group that he didn't agree with. What was his name again?

Your post links to a news piece with the headline -
I’m A Celebrity 2018: Boxer Anthony Mundine’s vile anti-gay rant after jungle exit.
That's the "Rant" I was referring to.

I think he refers to Islamic laws regarding gays and the consequences such as the death penalty - which I agree is a threatening and unnecessary thing for him to say but it's a long bow to say he is actually calling for gays to be killed and an even longer bow to compare him to Hitler.
As I said, I'm unaware of Aboriginal Culture's view of homosexuality but agree with you that Mundine would be a hypocrite to use that in this context.
My point though is Mundine is just one of many Australian people and orgnizations that are openly homophobic and bigoted but he seems to be a media favourite for attention while others get away with it.

Willow

Assistant Moderator

From about 50 seconds onwards.
At no time did he call for capital punishment. In fact, in his opening line he said he didn't care if you are gay or not. He just spoke a whole lot of bullshitt after that.

I understand you taking offence, but let's not overeact.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
At no time did he call for capital punishment. In fact, in his opening line he said he didn't care if you are gay or not. He just spoke a whole lot of bullshitt after that.

I understand you taking offence, but let's not overeact.

Let's be real here, of course he cares if you are gay or not. As much as he is an absolute moron, he's not going to say "I have a genuine issue with gay people, I do not want to associate with anyone who is a homosexual". Deep down, he has a problem with it. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if he actively separates himself from gay people in real life.

Does the fact that he actually said that capital punishment is a genuine way "deterring the problem" not alarm you? Like it's some sort of disease.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Let's be real here, of course he cares if you are gay or not.
I assume you are in favour of gay rights? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I voted Yes, like most people. Who voted No? I guess it was just dinosaurs and religious conservatives.

And... I reckon Mundine is talking shit. For a start, he doesn't speak for all indigenous nations or the laws that exist within those nations.

But misquoting him doesn't make for a reasonable argument.

If you really want to debate the issue, then please state what he actually says. With respect, you are drawing conclusions from tabloid editorial, paraphrasing and video editing. Yes, THAT video was heavily edited. Look at it again.

As much as he is an absolute moron, he's not going to say "I have a genuine issue with gay people, I do not want to associate with anyone who is a homosexual". Deep down, he has a problem with it. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if he actively separates himself from gay people in real life.

Does the fact that he actually said that capital punishment is a genuine way "deterring the problem" not alarm you? Like it's some sort of disease.
To be kind, that's your opinion on the matter.

Quite frankly, I am more concerned when elected representatives make similar comments, and for some reason manage to fly under the radar.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
How was it fixed? Ainscough took Smith high w/o the ball in the ingoal, it was a classic penalty try.

What Willow has articulated later in this thread, only a lot more succinct than I could have ever have done,

I didn't mention the penalty try incident either, you did.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I assume you are in favour of gay rights? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I voted Yes, like most people. Who voted No? I guess it was just dinosaurs and religious conservatives.

And... I reckon Mundine is talking shit. For a start, he doesn't speak for all indigenous nations or the laws that exist within those nations.

But misquoting him doesn't make for a reasonable argument.

If you really want to debate the issue, then please state what he actually says. With respect, you are drawing conclusions from tabloid editorial, paraphrasing and video editing. Yes, THAT video was heavily edited. Look at it again.

To be kind, that's your opinion on the matter.

Quite frankly, I am more concerned when elected representatives make similar comments, and for some reason manage to fly under the radar.

Of course I am in favour of gay rights, I was out there rallying in Town Hall.
Yep, any argument against is always one of religious ideals or old school "traditional" values.
And believe me it is far more alarming when men like Abbott, who not long ago was our Prime Minister, didn't even have the balls to vote in the marriage equality ballot, even after 75% of his electorate voted yes. Cowards like him are the real danger.

However, let me just pick out a few quotes for you in relation to Mundine.

- “If we were to live in a society, just like in Aboriginal culture, that homosexuality is forbidden and you do it and the consequences are capital punishment or death, you think you are going to do it? Or think twice about doing it?”

- “Because they are pushing these gay rights so much in the Western world, the paedophiles out there want their rights,” he said. “Now they are going to claim to have rights. They want their rights just like the gay people want their rights.”

- “They are not going to be happy until they have primary school kids being gay,” he said when asked to clarify his views. “If you are going to be gay, do it behind closed doors, that is how it used to be.”

He is so backwards its ridiculous. My main argument in this is that the club should abandon this muppet. I feel like there's a line between being entitled to your opinion, and just being a hateful, uneducated waste of space.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I get it @TomRedVRiver , you really dislike Anthony Mundine.. You're entitled to your view.

And thanks for providing some quotes that might be more in line with the video.

But I'm sure you'll now agree that at no time did he call for the death penalty.

Latest posts