What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Stallion

First Grade
Thant’s fine when there is an nrl club in the west to progress to but until then any decent 18/19year old is going to be heading east as is happening now, so wheres the talent for an under 20’s team going to come from? Only hope would be if it became a feeder team for an existing nrl club.

Think it will be a gradual thing PR. The NRL are finally looking to do it properly with a few growing pains on the way. I forgot to mention I'm truelly happy for you and the people of WA. Rugby league deserves to grow and not implode atvthe same time and that is planned thankfully.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
It doesn’t answer the question or do we just accept for 4 years at least the under 20’s squad wont be competitive and get hammered every week?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It doesn’t answer the question or do we just accept for 4 years at least the under 20’s squad wont be competitive and get hammered every week?

The way I read it is that there will be an under 20's team within three years and then a quick progression to the NRL from there so let's say 2021, 2022 NSW Cup and 2023 NRL in time for the new broadcast deal. The talented 18 year-olds in 2021 could well end up staying at the club as an NRL player in 2023.

flippikat

Bench
The encouraging thing about this "NSW Cup, then NRL" approach is that it's a template that can be used for other expansion locations without a NSW cup team that the NRL deem strategically important in future.

If the NRL want a future club in Adelaide , or Wellington NZ then they use the same pathway for them.

The other plus is that it provides an example for EXISTING NSW (or Qld) state cup teams to graduate to NRL. Maybe even scope for groups of Brisbane-based Qld Cup teams to pool their resources and bid as a joint-venture.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Said on Pirates Facebook tonight that we are aiming for an under 20’s side in NSWRL jersey Flegg comp in 2020

Perth Red

Post Whore
Super League could have a club based in Perth, Australia, in the not-too-distant future.

That’s the view of Wigan chairman Ian Lenagan, who is currently Down Under with the Warriors as they prepare to take on Hull FC in their historic league clash.
A driving force behind taking English club rugby to the Southern Hemisphere for the first time, Lenagan is convinced that a Perth outfit, as well as a New York team, will help transform Super League into an ‘international’ competition within five years.
“The Super League is doing a lot of innovative things to take the game forward. Who knows, if the NRL don’t do something about Perth, with a single flight back to England it wouldn’t at all surprise me if they became interested in playing in a competition of that scale.”

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/spo...ague-news/super-league-perth-new-york-1178674

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
That would be interesting. I wonder if a bid team made it happen and the RFL were on the verge of approving it, if it would embarrass the NRL into accepting them?

It would be a good way to force the NRL's hand - with the knowledge that SL were quite willing to accept if the NRL didn't act.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Been hearing it since 2010, nothing new. Heard a group from Boston are also putting a bid together to join SL led by the old Storm CEO. I can see SL becoming a global comp a long time before NRL becomes a national one despite NRL having all the money in the world!

Stallion

First Grade
Been hearing it since 2010, nothing new. Heard a group from Boston are also putting a bid together to join SL led by the old Storm CEO. I can see SL becoming a global comp a long time before NRL becomes a national one despite NRL having all the money in the world!

Overall I think the manouverings of the English rugby league are positive. Its true Australian rugbyleague is sitting on its hands for too long. Their is an essential need for at least two more additional expansion clubs in the NRL One has to be in Brisbane. The other should be either Perth or Adelaide. The dormant North Sydney Bears can play a part, particularly for the South Australian franchise. WEST COAST PIRATES seem to be making progress. So lets see what these procrastinating and seemingly lethargic rugbyleague administrators end up doing!?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm hearing there might be a Hull KR v Hull FC game played in Perth next year. I can see the WA Govt getting behind it given how many English fans travelled for the RLWC and at Wollongong at the weekend.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The only thing holding SL back is lack of broadcast money. Sky spends all its cash on soccer and throws the crumbs to RL. Game isnt popular enough nationally to get a big fta contract, in uk fta doesn’t pay big money for sport like in Aus.

Diesel

Referee
The only thing holding SL back is lack of broadcast money. Sky spends all its cash on soccer and throws the crumbs to RL. Game isnt popular enough nationally to get a big fta contract, in uk fta doesn’t pay big money for sport like in Aus.
I wonder once the North American clubs start getting some traction and success, there will be interest from other TV revenue.
So many people are Americanised and will support a US team just be be trendy which will also drive popularity.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wonder once the North American clubs start getting some traction and success, there will be interest from other TV revenue.
So many people are Americanised and will support a US team just be be trendy which will also drive popularity.

Maybe but like I say sport isnt a big payer on fta in uk and sky just spent 5billion pounds on epl!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Another positive step forward

NRL WA Announce new High Performance Centre
by Tony Crowe
February 13th, 2018
NRL WA Announce new High Performance Centre

Story by Edward Nixon

NRL WA has announced Gloucester Park as their new Home of High Performance and Game Development Programs for the next three years.

Having previously shared facilities with the Fremantle Roosters RLC, the State Teams and Cash Converters West Coast Pirates will have their own training facility as of the 2018 season.

Picture L-R Pirate Bow Stein, Gloucester Park CEO Mr. Michael Radley, NRL WA General Manager Mr. John Sackson & Pirate Ollie Callan

As part of the agreement, NRL WA will be provided with full access to training Fields, Gym, Medical Rooms and Educational Office Space- something Chief Executive John Sackson says will help to grow the sport in Western Australia.

“We are very excited about our new alliance with Gloucester Park and what it can do for the ongoing development of Rugby League in WA,” he said.

“To be able to establish a High Performance base for our Male and Female Cash Converters West Coast programs and our WA State representative teams in such a central sporting precinct location is a significant leap forward for our code in this state.”

Gloucester Park CEO, Mr Michael Radley, said “We are looking forward to forging a great partnership with NRL WA, which should be beneficial to both our club and rugby league on many levels”

“John Sackson and his NRL WA team have done a great job growing the game here in WA and hopefully our new partnership will add to their efforts” he said.

Gloucester Park will host the NRL WA season launch, as well as a pre-game function ahead of the March 10 NRL Double-Header at Optus Stadium.

http://nrlwa.com.au/nrl-wa-announce-new-high-performance-centre/

Diesel

Referee
I should know this but are the Pirates an arm of NRLWA or were adopted by the old WARL.

IIRC the WA Reds and later the WC Pirates were separate from the state body