What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons vs Hull

RufusRex

Post Whore
i would start strong ... AItken probably wont play given his recovery. We know what nightingale is capable of so he can play 2nd half with some of the new people

1. Dufty
2. Nene
3. Mann
4. Lafai
5. Lomax
6. Widdop
7. Hunt

In the 2nd half give Nicholls/Field some time in the halves, Lomax some time in the centres with Nighty coming onto the wing. Herbert some time on the field as well.

8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Graham
11. Host
12. Sims
13. DeBelin

Rest Friz - let Host and Sims battle it out for the open starting edge spot

Then give the likes of Sele/Lawrie/Algood/Latimore/Leilua/Robson some time in the pack during the game

Hull are not going to well and copped some injuries in the game on the weekend.

A good strong 40 minute hit out early with the bulk of the top team .. injuect them in and out during the second half.
In the shield same again but add frizz and try to get 60 min from the potential top team.

Last edited:
I know what you're saying, these are definitely games you want to win but that's the problem for me in that these two games - Hull and CS are too high profile to be trial games. Because they're taken so seriously it may mean that our youngsters and fringe players get less or possibly no time to prove themselves and also creates a greater chance of injury. I'd prefer we play some actual trials in the old sense, games that aren't taken seriously for anything but testing players and new combinations. The CS at least should just be a regular season game like the Anzac clash. For the Hull / Wigan games I guess there's nowhere else to put them but I'd like to play at least one trial before going into a game against a full strength team ( not this year due to injuries ) that' is already well into their season and want to prove a point.
This article shows that the Poms certainly take these Club Challenge games very seriously...

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ueless-for-dragons-clash-20180211-h0vwhj.html
Imagine that your whole future in FG depends on half a game of football in a trial match.
You'll have nerves, and need game time to acclimatize.
We have no idea how to bring young players along.

Old Timer

Coach
I'd be more inclined to make a statement against the Broncos, in round one, rather than a game with zero value. Doesn't matter if we win by 1 or 30. Nobody will take notice or care of the result...it's just a trial that means nothing.
Broncos are playing 3 trials do you really think they are not preparing to meet us head on by having some quality preparation?
With your attitude you could get a job coaching our mob because that's the way the second half of our seasons pan out.

kit66

Bench
Anyone know what's happening with young Kerr, he's a big bopper and was killing it in the lower grades and rep sides ?
We could do with some size in the pack.

BennyV

Referee
Anyone know what's happening with young Kerr, he's a big bopper and was killing it in the lower grades and rep sides ?
We could do with some size in the pack.
We've got plenty of size in the pack!!!
Kerr is a work in progress, behind Lawrie and likely Latimore in the pecking order, at least.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
We've got plenty of size in the pack!!!
Kerr is a work in progress, behind Lawrie and likely Latimore in the pecking order, at least.
2nd best pack behind the cowboys didn't we steal KERR from Melbourne .I wonder if BELLAMY would have him in reserves ,I'm sure he would have been tried before now .not afraid to throw them in the deep end.:thinking: unfortunately Mary has this mental barrier if their old enough they are good enough

Last edited:

Redhoopz

Juniors
Broncos are playing 3 trials do you really think they are not preparing to meet us head on by having some quality preparation?
With your attitude you could get a job coaching our mob because that's the way the second half of our seasons pan out.

I couldn't care less what the Broncos are doing. I'm only concerned about the Dragons and making sure they're fit and ready for round 1.

I'd like to think the coaching staff has made some adjustments this season to avoid the slump they found themselves in last year.

Old Timer

Coach
2nd best pack behind the cowboys didn't we steal KERR from Melbourne .I wonder if BELLAMY would have him in reserves ,I'm sure he would have been tried before now .not afraid to throw them in the deep end.:thinking: unfortunately Mary has this mental barrier if their old enough they are good enough
Kerr came from the Raiders I think.

I couldn't care less what the Broncos are doing. I'm only concerned about the Dragons and making sure they're fit and ready for round 1.
I'd like to think the coaching staff has made some adjustments this season to avoid the slump they found themselves in last year.
Well I think it is important to know what your opposition are doing if you want to have a proper preparation and if the opposition are fitter and more game hardened than you then don't whinge if you lose.
IMO going into Rd 1 not having played tough trials and not having your best players working hard on combinations is a mistake.
Only have to wait a little while to see which way this will pan out.
Re the mid year slump well that will dependent on selection policy, injuries and a few other things like how easily the opposition work us out if we go with the same game plan every week and the biggest issue which is where you actually sit on the table.
It will be hard to have a slump if you don't win many games early so let's see what happens because rest assured every game will count this season as competition for 5 - 8 will be intense.

Wildie

Juniors
Hull fan here in peace! Well, after being excited by this game before the squad flew out, I am not worried about it. 8 players injured either during or as a result of the game against Wigan. 1st choice winger, both first choice centres, both starting props, Man of Steel Hooker, 2nd Rower all out injured now, as well as a couple of fringe players we flew over for the trip. Going to be a lot of young kids playing who haven't had a lot of first grade. It's going to be a good training exercise for you!

Crush

Coach
Hull fan here in peace! Well, after being excited by this game before the squad flew out, I am not worried about it. 8 players injured either during or as a result of the game against Wigan. 1st choice winger, both first choice centres, both starting props, Man of Steel Hooker, 2nd Rower all out injured now, as well as a couple of fringe players we flew over for the trip. Going to be a lot of young kids playing who haven't had a lot of first grade. It's going to be a good training exercise for you!
Gee I hope the Dragons players don't know about all those injuries. When they are expected to win the rarely do.

Alec's-saints

Juniors
dragons would have lapped hull regardless of who was playing this week. i watched the hull v wigan game and fell asleep 5 mins into it. the nrl is a on a different level. i think wigan will knock over souffs

Crush

Coach
dragons would have lapped hull regardless of who was playing this week. i watched the hull v wigan game and fell asleep 5 mins into it. the nrl is a on a different level. i think wigan will knock over souffs
Hahaha, is that a backhander at souths? Nrl is on a different level. I think wigan will knock over souths! LOL

Alec's-saints

Juniors
Hahaha, is that a backhander at souths? Nrl is on a different level. I think wigan will knock over souths! LOL
mate doesn't mean nothing if souffs get knocked over. i was stating that the nrl are miles ahead of the super league, storm will smash leeds saints will smash hull and wigan will beat souffs. completely irrelevant to what you're saying.

Crush

Coach
mate doesn't mean nothing if souffs get knocked over. i was stating that the nrl are miles ahead of the super league, storm will smash leeds saints will smash hull and wigan will beat souffs. completely irrelevant to what you're saying.
OooooK. Clear as mud.

This Year?

Immortal
If our 2 biggest signings are not in the run out team for our 1st game of the year then someone needs to be shot.
They need to be sprinting onto that field in the Big Red V and making an instant statement to the fans even if they only stay for 20 minutes or so.
I'm f**king positive the fans don't want to see Allgood.

If Allgood does like what he did to Matai I might be interested.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Kerr came from the Raiders I think.

Well I think it is important to know what your opposition are doing if you want to have a proper preparation and if the opposition are fitter and more game hardened than you then don't whinge if you lose.
IMO going into Rd 1 not having played tough trials and not having your best players working hard on combinations is a mistake.
Only have to wait a little while to see which way this will pan out.
Re the mid year slump well that will dependent on selection policy, injuries and a few other things like how easily the opposition work us out if we go with the same game plan every week and the biggest issue which is where you actually sit on the table.
It will be hard to have a slump if you don't win many games early so let's see what happens because rest assured every game will count this season as competition for 5 - 8 will be intense.
Josh KERR came from MELBOURNE .....no doubt

This Year?

Immortal

Great to see a Hull fan in here. Although your blokes have had some injuries, I'm sure the replacements will have a go and I think Hull will look to throw the ball around and tired out our middle 3rd.. This will be a fun game to watch and I hope everyone gets through without injury. Take 8 players out from our side and we would look a lot worse on paper too. This will be a great day for the younger and fringe players from both clubs and will be a great experience.

Latest posts