What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those who can also read

Perth Tiger

Bench
I finished watching Black Sails so started reading Treasure Island this week. It is a bloody ripping little yarn although some of the nautical talk can get slightly confusing

The Beaver

Juniors
Just finished Killers of the Flower Moon, it was fantastic.

Currently on the fourth Rebus, Ian Rankin. Another good read. Also doing the Wheel of Time by audiobook on my commute.

Re-reading IT

So many Easter eggs,I'm getting used to sleeping with the lights on again, I'll need to explain i guess

As an 8 year old i was terrified of a tv series which age has made laughable

I understood it way too well, while most people can diminish it to just being about a clown i understood it was really a godlike entity

An 8 year old scared of a killer god

Yeah it ruined me but i still love it

Pommy

Coach
Just finished first they killed my father. I thought I would give the book a read with a film due to be released on Netflix this month.
It's as brutal as you would expect a book about life under the Khamer a Rouge to be.

axl rose

Bench
Well I guess he's not everyone's cup of tea but good life/business lessons. Recommended.

9780007259885.jpg

gUt

Coach
Latest readings include:

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich - William L. Shirer. What a book! So detailed and well researched. Its only flaw is the author's anti-homosexual stance that comes up from time to time but he's a product of his time and his religion so don't let that distract you too much. Must read for anyone interested in modern history

Toast on Toast - "autobiography" by the main character from the show. Funny as.

Play All - Clive James - a nice light read about binge watching box-sets. James follows his usual theme of connecting ideas across genres and gives some good insights into some of our favourite shows.

Mythos - Stephen Fry. Parts of the Greek mythos are retold in Fry's voice. He also helpfully connects the stories to modern words and concepts. Definitely worth a read.

Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy. Holy crap. A western to end all westerns. One of the coldest and most violent books I've ever read. Deep themes emerge as the characters "progress". I'll be going back to this again once the shock wears off. D

MKEB...

Staff member
Just read "A long Walk" By Slavomir Rawicz. A book detailing his false imprisonment by the Russians accusing him of being a Nazi spy. His subsequent escape from a Siberian gulag and trek from Siberia to Calcutta, through the Gobi Desert and the Himalayas. I enjoyed the book.

gUt

Coach
Finished Hawksmoor by Peter Ackroyd. A decent plot and some good characters (police/occult procedural) but the main treat with this one was the language. Enjoyable.

King hit

Coach
Almost finished reading “Pitched battle’ by Larry Writer about the 1971 Springbok tour to Australia. It’s just disgraceful how black people were treated in South Africa and how much political influence South African sporting teams had. Fascinating to hear about how we became a nation at war with ourselves over racism and sport coming together.

Some of the stories from Wallabies who toured South Africa in 1963 and 1969 were just shocking, thank goodness for Nelson Mandela.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Making the arduou journey through Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series.

Third attempt to make it through them and I’m equal with where I lost steam back in 2012.

The first six books flew by, but the seventh has been a real toil so far.

Seven to go!

Latest posts