What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USA takeover bid of Warriors

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11992034

The head of the Tongan-American consortium hoping to buy the Warriors is thinking big.

Hawaiian politician Richard Fale believes that his group, which includes half a dozen current or former NFL players, could take the Auckland club into a new, and certainly unprecedented stratosphere, claiming they could win "more championships than Tom Brady".

Fale also said if they are able to gain control of the club this year, they would be in a position to claim an inaugural NRL premiership by 2020.

Fale, who has served as a Republican member of the Hawaiian House of Representatives since 2013, is CEO of the group, that includes players who have won Super Bowl titles.

ADVERTISEMENT
Advertise with NZME.

He says that inherent knowledge of what it takes to achieve ultimate success, mixed with principles learned in the NFL over almost a century, and together with strong investment, could change the fortunes of the Warriors in the NRL.

"We have people in our group that know what a championship organisation looks like and how they operate," Fale told the Herald on Sunday. "It takes absolute excellence on the field, and off the field. It's something you can sense within five minutes of walking around an organisation and feeling the culture."

Based on that, Fale is prepared to make the claim the Warriors could one day outdo New England Patriots legend Brady, who has played (eight) and won (five) more Super Bowls than anyone else in NFL history.

"We believe we could take the Warriors to a point where they are in the finals every year," said Fale. "And they could win five championships in 10 years, with a better winning percentage than Tom Brady and the Patriots. I see no reason why that wouldn't be the case."

Fale's group includes several Tongan families, with representatives in Hawaii, United States, Tonga and New Zealand.

Warriors owner, businessman Eric Watson, is believed to be asking $20m for the NRL franchise.

Obviously this guy Fale doesn't pay much attention to the full facts. Tom Brady is the second player to win 5 NFL Superbowls. Charles Haley was the first, winning 2 Superbowls with the San Francisco 49ers and then another 3 Superbowls with the Dallas Cowboys.

Edit: Fixed a typo.

Last edited:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
As a Warriors fan I don't expect much and recently in general I find myself feeling very little emotion in regards to the Warriors.

So it is probably quite telling that the more I read about this group the scarier it looks. This is a disaster waiting to happen and all because Watson refuses to listen to reasonable offers and wants his payday.

carcharias

Immortal
As a Warriors fan I don't expect much and recently in general I find myself feeling very little emotion in regards to the Warriors.

So it is probably quite telling that the more I read about this group the scarier it looks. This is a disaster waiting to happen and all because Watson refuses to listen to reasonable offers and wants his payday.

Cmon man
You gotta keep the faith

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Seeing docos on championship winning American franchises and it is pretty eye opening in terms of the level of professionalism they go to. Mind you it is much easier to do with a few more tens of millions of revenue to spend but everything right down to things like the water quality in the gym and a thousand other fraction of a percent attentions to detail ended up making the difference.

If you compare the best prepared sides like Melbourne who break everything down to the finest layer compared to the warriors who can self implode at any minute (including having a healthy halftime lead) and their focus goes out the window this could be a good thing

Life's Good

Coach
There is a small fortune to be made if you own a rugby league team. Problem is you usually start with a large one.
Buyer beware

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sounds exciting, Something needs to wake the Warriors up from the doldrums and turn them into a powerhouse of the NRL. Maybe NFL millionaires and some Tongan businessmen are the out of the box answer they need.

$20million sounds a bit steep for a business with no assets and irregular profit returns.