What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Squad for Middle 2018

Coffs dragon

Bench
Whatever happened to the good old days in the 90s when we would lose our first 5 games then come home with a wet sail? Do you remember that? I remember we always had shocking starts for a period there....
Yes Crush.....I do remember all that and even under Nathan Brown's coaching we always started slowly and came home strong. Similar in practice to a champion racehorse that is trained to perfection to win at the finishing line.
Our current mob are trained the opposite theory.....come out strong using all power to get noticed and get the trainer re-signed before wilting and being run down by the field.

Walpole

Juniors
Whatever happened to the good old days in the 90s when we would lose our first 5 games then come home with a wet sail? Do you remember that? I remember we always had shocking starts for a period there....
Yep, they'd be 2-6 after a couple of months and then everything would click into gear and they'd storm into the finals in top form. Makes for a far better season than being 6-2 and missing the finals all together!

RufusRex

Post Whore
Dufty/Mann/Nightingale ... that would be the smallest back three ever to play the game ... We would be still inside the 20m after 3 tackles every set.

As for flicky flicky lafai .. in terms of tries scored, created, saved .. he is probably in the top half dozen left centres in the entire NRL - maybe even higher.

Crush

Coach
Dufty/Mann/Nightingale ... that would be the smallest back three ever to play the game ... We would be still inside the 20m after 3 tackles every set.

As for flicky flicky lafai .. in terms of tries scored, created, saved .. he is probably in the top half dozen left centres in the entire NRL - maybe even higher.
You may be onto something with the back 3 all being lightweights. I'll pay that.
As for flickety flick I am not a fan. He has played some good football, some very average football and some horrible football. I think its funny that people blame Mary for selecting him when injured as the reason he sucked so hard in 2016. Nice excuse.

Bench
I remember it was written that clubs need to be able to bring one of the juniors at least each season.
We did that with Dufty last year and Lomax is who I would be promoting this year, only after some time in the lower grades and off the bench.
We need to be thinking if at least one forward to be identified to come through.
It's a pity we don't have a coach capable of do so

Gareth67

First Grade
I remember it was written that clubs need to be able to bring one of the juniors at least each season.
We did that with Dufty last year and Lomax is who I would be promoting this year, only after some time in the lower grades and off the bench.
We need to be thinking if at least one forward to be identified to come through.
It's a pity we don't have a coach capable of do so

2010 That's the common denominator as is so evident in most members posts - the coachs true ability . We have witnessed the mans failure to have alternative plans of attack and to continually stick with players out of form .

This season he does finally have the team that can go places , but it eventually will come back to him as to just how far the Dragons will progress in 2018 . If he has changed his philosophy, then we will have a good season, if not well he won't be there next year . ( Apologies to all that should had been on the other thread )

Last edited:

TomRedVRiver

Bench
My squad for finals looks like this:

1. Dufty
2. Macdonald
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. (new recruit... I'm confident we'll find someone good, if not Garrick or Nighty)
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Graham
11. Frizell
12. Leilua
13. De Belin

14. Ah Mau
15. Sims
16. Sele
17. Mann

Happy to swap Leilua and Sims around if Sims starts well, I just like the idea of having Sims available in the middle rotation as well.