What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL to launch crackdown on play the balls

myrrh ken

First Grade
Slippery slope that leads us to end looking like union. It’s not hard, it’s not a difficult skill, just play it with your foot!

Union players just tunnel ball it.

I thought about explaining this to him but didn't want to feed the troll.

It happens every 1 or 2 sets. It will be a penalty thon. Why is it that important? Refs not keeping players back 10 affects the game more.

Stallion

First Grade
Who cares if the foot touches it or not? So long as there is some sort of action with the foot it should be regarded as an attempt. If its a tunnelball then it should be penalised

Your attitude is the 'weakness' showing in the integrity of a very important fundamental rule. People who care about the game/code do see this as important.

Spot On

Coach
So Cronulla now have a prop that runs sideways instead of forward and will now give away a penalty every time he has to play the ball.

Not worth him playing anymore.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Right! We've had the annual "we'll watch the play the ball" article. Now, all we need is a huge sex scandal involving dogs before we can get the season underway.

Stallion

First Grade
Right! We've had the annual "we'll watch the play the ball" article. Now, all we need is a huge sex scandal involving dogs before we can get the season underway.

Just having the play the ball the way it is intended is good enough. Not much to ask.

T-Boon

Coach

Wait up, what about the Pearce "I am the right man for the NSW job and my head is in a good place finally" story.

Stallion

First Grade
what if the play the ball were perfect but all the sydney clubs had been relocated around the country?

Lol or crying. Their would be no competition or relevance left to lose. Game over. You can't have the clothing without the fabric!

The laxity of enforcing the ball being played properly by the tackled player is, over time, what has lead to the introduction of wrestling and other similar tactics. This is because, by allowing the ball carrier to just roll it back (like a number of players do) means they get an artificially quick play the ball. Hence, to counteract this, teams started with wresting coaches, gang tacking and the like to try and slow the play the ball down.

Had referees been consistent on this, I seriously believe we would not have a problem with the ruck like we currently do at NRL level.

T-Boon

Coach
Getting pedantic about the play the ball is like pinging people about their spelling and grammar.

Yeah so maybe dont worry so much about it at a sports forum scrub league level but if its at the published novel, dictionary, legislation or NRL level lets get all over it.

I am fine with not worrying about the play the ball technicalities if we stop worrying about the markers having to be square.