What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

International NEWS

roughyedspud

Coach
The tiers are symbolic...Australia,England & NZ are tier one purely for historical reasons....

tiers & ranking are completely different...Tonga could be ranked 3rd and still technically be tier 2...and that's absolutely fine...

Don't get hung up on it

deal.with.it

Juniors
I’m really quite surprised that people on here disagree with the comments. I didn’t think “nation-swapping” was a good look for our game. It appears I’m in the minority. Fair enough.

adamkungl

Immortal
I’m really quite surprised that people on here disagree with the comments. I didn’t think “nation-swapping” was a good look for our game. It appears I’m in the minority. Fair enough.

It's been done to death and they made a very clear decision to move towards more flexibility rather than less. Suggesting 'pick and stick' merely a year after that decision, and after that decision directly led to a more competitive World Cup, is completely unproductive and unrealistic.

On Gasnier's other points:

No, Tonga are not tier 1. Beating NZ does not make them so. I don't see any sign of Tonga being tier 1 in the near future.
There aren't clear rules about tiers, but if you look at the 'Big 3' in tier 1, some things clearly separate them.
1) They all have professional clubs.
2) They are all capable of fielding fully professional teams of home-developed players (many times over).
3) They all have well developed end-to-end rep/junior development programs in their home country.
4) They all have the financial ability to stage test matches and pay their team professional wages (* NZ are flimsy here)

Tonga and Samoa satisfy a grand total of zero of these 'criteria'. To show how far off the mark Gasnier is, he suggested Fiji and PNG move up later. Fiji and PNG (and France and Wales) despite not having as good results, are miles ahead of Tonga and Samoa in game development and professionalism.

Furthermore, BEING TIER 1 IS NOT AN ADVANTAGE.
Tier 1 locks your players into a choice which the Big 3 will almost always win (unless they hire a potato as a WC coach).
Tier 1 nations do not receive more games and money because they are tier 1, they are tier 1 because they play more games and have more money.
Tonga getting 'promoted' to tier 1 would insantly cripple their chances of competing.

The final point, that International rules should be changed because of anything relevant to State of Origin, is completely f**king absurd. SOO has nothing to do with International Rugby League.
If Australia doesn't want to pick nation-hoppers in their State teams that is their prerogative but to suggest the the rules of a different tier of the game should be changed to help SOO is completely wrong.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It's been done to death and they made a very clear decision to move towards more flexibility rather than less. Suggesting 'pick and stick' merely a year after that decision, and after that decision directly led to a more competitive World Cup, is completely unproductive and unrealistic.

On Gasnier's other points:

No, Tonga are not tier 1. Beating NZ does not make them so. I don't see any sign of Tonga being tier 1 in the near future.
There aren't clear rules about tiers, but if you look at the 'Big 3' in tier 1, some things clearly separate them.
1) They all have professional clubs.
2) They are all capable of fielding fully professional teams of home-developed players (many times over).
3) They all have well developed end-to-end rep/junior development programs in their home country.
4) They all have the financial ability to stage test matches and pay their team professional wages (* NZ are flimsy here)

Tonga and Samoa satisfy a grand total of zero of these 'criteria'. To show how far off the mark Gasnier is, he suggested Fiji and PNG move up later. Fiji and PNG (and France and Wales) despite not having as good results, are miles ahead of Tonga and Samoa in game development and professionalism.

Furthermore, BEING TIER 1 IS NOT AN ADVANTAGE.
Tier 1 locks your players into a choice which the Big 3 will almost always win (unless they hire a potato as a WC coach).
Tier 1 nations do not receive more games and money because they are tier 1, they are tier 1 because they play more games and have more money.
Tonga getting 'promoted' to tier 1 would insantly cripple their chances of competing.

The final point, that International rules should be changed because of anything relevant to State of Origin, is completely f**king absurd. SOO has nothing to do with International Rugby League.
If Australia doesn't want to pick nation-hoppers in their State teams that is their prerogative but to suggest the the rules of a different tier of the game should be changed to help SOO is completely wrong.

Couldn't have said it better

deal.with.it

Juniors
Sure, I get all that Adam.

I guess I'm surprised that there's still very little appetite for Tier 2 nations to act like professional organisations.

They could pick a squad of loyal players, but would rather pick "used" Tier 1 players or complain when someone jumps ship.

Throw in corruption, board room conflict, lack of gov investment, few sponsors.

It's attitude just as much as it's Tier 1 nations being selfish.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/meet-masi-matongo-zimbabwean-born-11935030

Masi Matongo has a rugby league journey like no other.

Born in Harare, Zimbabwe, he was a relative latecomer to the sport before impressing with amateur teams Hull Wyke, West Hull and Norland Sharks.

He was signed by Hull FC in 2013, and two years later was making his Super League debut at Wigan while still studying accountancy.

PROMOTED STORIES

Here's How To Consolidate Debt with a Personal LoanCanstar Personal Loans

You'll start speaking a new language in 3 weeks thanks to this app made in GermanyBabbel

Human Barbie Takes Off Make Up, Leaves Everyone SpeechlessIcePop

Getting a Better Energy Deal Starts with Understanding Your Power BillCanstar Blue

by Taboola
Sponsored Links

Now a full-time member of Lee Radford’s squad, he added a further nine appearances off the bench in 2017, and has caught the eye in pre-season ahead of this weekend’s Super League kick-off.

Hulll-FC-v-Catalan-Dragons.jpg

Matongo drives into the Catalans Dragons defence in a pre-season friendly at KC Stadium.

Standing at over 6ft tall and weighing almost 17 stones, he has provided a physical presence that belies his 21 years, and his coach is hoping for further progress this season.

Radford said: “Masi is a big human being - you only have to stand next to him to see what his strengths are going to be.

“He’s route one, but he’s not your stereotypical front rower.

“He’s a trainee accountant, he has some IQ about him and he has some different banter about him.

“He’s very unique in his dress sense as well, and all of that makes him a likeable bloke.

D38E3632a.jpg

Radford says Matongo is "route one" and has performed "unbelievably well" in pre-season(Image: @DaveG9268)
“He’s fitted really well into the squad, and to back that up he’s performed unbelievably well in the pre-season friendlies and not looked out of place against some quality front rowers.

“I’m expecting big things from him this year.”

Matongo’s rise to the first team in 2015 was all the more remarkable given his relative inexperience at junior level, and Radford says his ability to learn is a key attribute.

He added: “He was picked up really late and we’re always trying to up-skill him.

Hulll-FC-v-Hull-KRDanny-Hougton-Testimonial.jpg

“There’s still huge amounts of improvements in his game, but there is stuff that he does well and he takes everything on board.

“He’s an ultimate professional in everything he does.

“What I think he’ll benefit from is that our senior blokes were away for part of pre-season having been at the World Cup.

“We could put plenty of time and efforts into our young players, and I honestly think Masi has come on leaps and bounds.”

Masimbaashe Matongo
Club: Hull FC

Position: Prop

Amateur clubs: Hull Wyke, West Hull, Norland Sharks

Super League appearances: 10 as substitute

We have a touchdown.

When former Washington NFL running back Silas Redd walked into the arrivals hall at Brisbane international airport on Tuesday morning it was one small step for a man and potentially one giant leap forward for rugby league globally.

The 25-year-old, who played 15 NFL games for Washington, is aiming to do a "reverse Jarryd Hayne" and make the transition from the NFL to the NRL.

He will play with the Ipswich Jets in the Intrust Super Cup initially and will join the club for his first training run on Wednesday night.

Redd watched on with keen interest as Hayne made the transition from the NRL to play with the San Francisco 49ers in the NFL, a journey he hopes to emulate in reverse.

"The qualifier is that Jarryd made it to the highest level of the NFL and my goal is to play in the highest level of the NRL, and I am not there yet," Redd told NRL.com after he arrived from Los Angeles.

"I know it is going to be hard work to switch over and play at the highest level, but that is something I am willing to put in the work for.

"I don't think there is any drop-off in athleticism between the NFL and NRL, and Jarryd was fearless. It was just a whole new game to what he knew and he was able to conquer it. I just hope I can put forth that same effort."

Redd has been analysing "a whole compilation" of wingers in the NRL and how they play the game, along with video of former Maroons star Chris Walker who will be his mentor at the Jets.

"But I have also been looking at Jarryd for the most part. How could you not? He is one of the best, I think ever," Redd said.

"I have also been watching how Chris Walker played back in the day. Chris's stop and go was second to one, and that was part of my toolbox when I played NFL… being able to change direction, stop on a dime and cut either way I need to go."

As a winger, Redd said a big challenge would be "not going out of bounds", or into touch.

"In the NFL it is not such a bad thing to go out of bounds because it doesn't mean we lose possession of the ball like it does in NRL," he said.

Redd was met by Ipswich Jets chairman Steve Johnson off the plane. They embraced and Johnson said "it was like hugging a piece of granite".

silas_redd.jpg

Silas Redd with Ipswich Jets chairman Steve Johnson.:copyright:Katie Brown/NRL Photos
Johnson said Redd played 15 games for Washington "before he did his ACL and came back early and hurt it again", and that Redd's four years in the American college football system with Penn State College and the University of Southern California, followed by three in the NFL, was a great lead-in to his NRL quest.

"Without a shadow of a doubt I can't think of a better athlete coming to Australia from another sport to play rugby league in the history of our game," Johnson said.

"We spent a long time speaking to people in America about this and running back is the ideal position to transition into rugby league. It is in a contact position where you need quick feet and explosive power and Silas showed all those skills when he played a game for us in Hawaii.

"If he is successful it will open up a great opportunity to bring players into the Australian game and potentially grow the game in America."

Redd was in immense pain after suffering a knee injury and was subsequently suspended by the NFL after testing positive to cannabis.

"I do regret it but I do wish they would change the rules because I know personally a lot of guys who would rather subdue their pain that way than use painkillers and prescription drugs because that is an epidemic in America," Redd said of the episode.

"I did break the rules and plain and simple you are not supposed to do that. I've never been in any trouble with the law. I am not a messed-up person. I made a bad decision but if I hadn't made that decision I may not be here. One door closes and you never know what other door is going to open up.

"I take the positives that come with it and go from there."

Johnson said the Jets knew the story and were satisfied with Redd's explanation and his upstanding character.

"Silas explained to us from day one that he had self-medicated for the pain and he is certainly not a drug cheat," Johnson said.

"I have done my background checks at Penn State and everyone I spoke to spoke so highly of Silas."

Redd will fly to New Zealand with the Jets to play Ponsonby this weekend in a trial.

"However much playing time I get, or even if I don't get any playing time, just being with the guys finally is something I am looking forward to," he said.

"It feels like a new chapter in my book of life, the Queensland chapter I'm going to call it.

"It is a new journey, and something I am really excited about."

Jets co-coach Ben Walker told NRL.com that Redd was "the most talked-about player in the history of the Intrust Super Cup who is yet to play a game in the Intrust Super Cup".

If he can achieve his NRL dream and be a success in rugby league then Redd's arrival on Qantas Flight 16 from Los Angeles on Tuesday morning could be the start of one of the most talked-about code switches in the game's history.

Redd is well aware of the story of Manfred Moore, also a running back, who made the switch from the NFL to play with the Newtown Jets in 1977.

Moore also attended the University of Southern California, Redd's alma mater, and is the only man to have scored both a touchdown in the NFL and a try at the elite level of rugby league.

"Manfred was a bit of a trailblazer, and here I am 40 years down the line trying to do the same thing," Redd said.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/20...uches-down-and-begins-hayne-in-reverse-quest/

adamkungl

Immortal
Report in the DT that Micheal Maguire is in talks to take the Lebanon coaching job for 2 years.