What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match 5: Aust v NZ t20 tri-series at Eden Park Feb 16, 2018 AUST WIN

TheParraboy

Staff member
I reckon kiwis win this one easily

We will still be on a hang over for a few days from the AB medal last night, plus we don't want to play our best in this "dead rubber" game for us ;)

kiwis by 50 runs or 5 wickets nothing surer....

blaza88z

Coach
I reckon kiwis win this one easily

We will still be on a hang over for a few days from the AB medal last night, plus we don't want to play our best in this "dead rubber" game for us ;)

kiwis by 50 runs or 5 wickets nothing surer....
It all comes down to who has the better #8

ANTiLAG

First Grade
It all comes down to who has the better #8

Damn straight it does. Even if they're not called on to bat, the better number 8 bat is just like kryptonite weakening the entire opposition team in the field all the way from the dressing room sheds.

I don't even know why we bother having opposing teams play each other at all; might as well just have the numbers 8 duel it out with some shared fielders and a running between wickets partner provided by the venue host. Make cricket what is was always meant to be, a sport for individuals.

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
Aussies wary of the no 8, funnily enough his batting isn't the thing talked about...

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/mitc...ark-auckland-australia-new-zealand/2018-02-14

Even rusted-on Australian cricket fans would struggle to identify Kiwi spinner Mitchell Santner, let alone name him as the world's No.1 ranked T20 bowler.

But allrounder Marcus Stoinis says Australia have discussed New Zealand's trump card extensively in their preparation for Friday's clash at Eden Park and a possible rematch in next week's final at the same venue.

Santner displaced Black Caps spin partner Ish Sodhi at the top of the International Cricket Council's T20 International bowling rankings last month and his numbers in the shortest format make for impressive reading.

From 25 T20Is, he has collected 28 wickets at 19.96 at an economy rate of 6.88, and Stoinis revealed each of Australia's batsmen are wary of the left-armer’s threat.

"He's a real smart bowler," Stoinis told reporters on Wednesday.

He's picked up 13 wickets at 21 in eight one-day internationals against the Aussies, while he dismissed Steve Smith and David Warner in New Zealand’s 2016 World T20 victory over their trans-Tasman rivals.

However, the 26-year-old went wicketless and conceded 20 off his two overs in his side's tri-series opener earlier this month against Australia, though he returned to form with on Tuesday with a spell of 2-29 in the Kiwis' high-scoring win over England.

"We've spoken about him at length a few times, we’re making our plans for him.

"Different players will have different plans – Maxi might reverse sweep, I might just try and hit straight."

Santner has played just the one Test against Australia but has thrived against them in the shorter formats.

Australia are flying on the back of three straight T20 wins on home turf, securing a berth in the final with back-to-back wins over England in Hobart and Melbourne.

New Zealand can seal a spot alongside them in the tri-series decider, to be held at Eden Park next Wednesday, and knock out England with victory over Australia in Auckland on Friday.

Prior to their series defeat to Pakistan last month, New Zealand had lost just two of their previous 15 T20Is on home turf and Stoinis concedes Australia's good form will be tested by their hosts.

"It will be different playing them here in New Zealand compared to playing in Australia because of conditions, because of supporters, all that sort of stuff," the Western Australian said.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Game on

Feels like Para playing the warriors :neutral_face:

If we win here and we win the final ( big ask I know) We then become the number 1 ranked t20 side, which if it did happen would be a first since t20 rankings were introduced in 2011.

Of course it’s t20, means the least from all the formats, but not a bad effort all the same considering we are the easy beats in this format.

For now, Carn boys make it 4 from 4 :smiley:

Match starts at 5pm AEDT

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Guptill is the Virat Kohli of NZ cricket, never seen a bloke look so lost on a seaming deck

That's funny given I think both of them have much better records on seaming tracks than Finch would have.

Kohli's weakness was swing in England tests. He made runs plenty in Safrica swing. Guptill plays a lot of cricket in NZ - it seams here, far more than Strayan roads. Plus he has made big scores in England too.

blaza88z

Coach
That's funny given I think both of them have much better records on seaming tracks than Finch would have.

Kohli's weakness was swing in England. He made runs plenty in Safrica. Guptill plays a lot of cricket in NZ - it seams here, far more than Strayan roads. Plus he has made big scores in England too.

I knew you'd bite, good pet

Latest posts