What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cairns trial squad named

Vic Mackey

Referee
Hopefully it's only due to the conditions cause f me our hooker stocks are looking shallow otherwise

It was last year too though, particularly back end. God I hope Liddle has an injury free year or we seriously might see Reynolds there full time

Vozzy

Juniors
Do you guys think the team that ran on is closest (not including the injured players) is what Ivan is looking at as his round 1 team. Just because Thompson was wearing 2 and nofaluma is wearing 14 second half looks like the back ups.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Do you guys think the team that ran on is closest (not including the injured players) is what Ivan is looking at as his round 1 team. Just because Thompson was wearing 2 and nofaluma is wearing 14 second half looks like the back ups.

I think it was a shoot out between MWZ and Thompson for the vacant spot. Nofa is first back picked

Das Hassler

Bench
It was last year too though, particularly back end. God I hope Liddle has an injury free year or we seriously might see Reynolds there full time

Which would not be the worst thing that could happen.....gamble has put his hand up and you have new old "on a mission" Benji... Reynolds would do fine if needed

Perth Tiger

Bench
Not bad for a first hit out. Our front toe depth looks great. Felise was probably best on ground and Grant and Eiso were good. Add Big Ben, Packer, Twal, Sue and Taylor ( if he plays lock) and that is a solid middle.

Centres were also good Marsters looked classy, Kev was good but his attack has never been an issue and he wasn’t tested in defence and Milne was aggressive.

MWZ and Thompson surprised me and Fonua disappointed and probably played himself out of round one with his ill disapline.

The spine was a good first step but all will need to improve but that is to be expected with new combinations.

The only area I thought we were weak was the back row. Lawrence looked good and it was pleasing to see him get early ball and chew up the metres rather that getting those suicide crash balls that he always drops. No of the other backrowers did much of note.

super_coach

First Grade
Next week we should get a real idea what we can expect from round one. Did not get all the game but Reynolds reminded me of Anasta with some energy. Tui impressed at 1, Gamble will put plenty of pressure on the 6 and 7. Forwards were good, but it was a trial so Iam not getting carried away, but like all Cleary sides they showed plenty of effort

Clifferd

Coach
Just a trial but some positive signs. I thought our front row would struggle but JJ surprised me and Grant was also really good

Milne and Marsters were fantastic with the ball and I can’t see anybody else claiming the centre spots

Nofo has one wing spot but the other is definitely up for grabs. Do you go Fonua who is a complete wrecking ball or do you go the more athletic wingers in MWZ or Thompson. All stamped their case

Either way I think we have quality depth this year, especially in the forwards

Vic Mackey

Referee
JJ was the one who screamed 'pick me' imo

Thompson probably the pick of the guys going for the left wing

Marsters looks fitter and is our first choice center. Kids a beast and a future rep player

Lolohea looked better then I thought at fullback, he was tested with a few kicks and handled everything. Also looked to get involved in attack often

Gamble looks promising, definite potential and already a big boy. Could be an option off the bench

Overall pleasing and didn't appear to be any injuries. Looking forward to next week at Campbelltown

mepelthwack

Juniors
I think Gamble is the best goalkicker in our 30 man squad, he just wasn't asked to kick for goal tonight but I watched him (live at the game) with the Reddy Dolphins last year he is better than all our others.

Notice his 40-20 attempt in the pouring rain? Out on the full, just! He has a really good boot.

Sooner or later he is in the 17 for mine, hopefully sooner.

I'm still wondering if he can play fullback at all? Kinda hope so, unless he is just too dominant to leave out of the halves.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I think Gamble is the best goalkicker in our 30 man squad, he just wasn't asked to kick for goal tonight but I watched him (live at the game) with the Reddy Dolphins last year he is better than all our others.

Notice his 40-20 attempt in the pouring rain? Out on the full, just! He has a really good boot.

Sooner or later he is in the 17 for mine, hopefully sooner.

I'm still wondering if he can play fullback at all? Kinda hope so, unless he is just too dominant to leave out of the halves.

I didn't realise how big Gamble was, when he first went on I thought he was a back rower. Looked right at home, the first thing most coaches look for in halves is willingness to take the line on and he certainly has no trouble doing that. Really looking forward to watching his progression this year.

Latest posts