What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And now are you glad we have signed Ben Hunt ?

Life's Good

Coach
Whatever- just as long there is not too much pressure placed upon Hunt and Graham . After all they can only do so much and it will be up to the rest of the team to do the hard yards as is expected of both Hunt and Graham . It could take up to a month for the new boys to find their rhythm and until that time the Dragons will need to look towards the old hands already in the team to secure their wins .
This is true. I have been guilty of thinking Hunt & Graham will transform us(forgive my optimism)but we still have a long way to go. They will improve us but it’s unfair to expect more than that.

some11

Referee
I'm looking forward to watching Widdop + Hunt, probably the most bipolar halves pairing in the comp with respect to sitting back/completely taking over a game.

I can see then running riot with that forward pack, and as long as melon head stays out of it and they are in form at the pointy end then the Dragons are looking good after some really frustrating seasons.

ouryear

Juniors
top 4 haha good joke. have you seen their front row? have you seen that overweight sloth jack bird. Milford will struggle without hunt. and bennett can't keep up with the modern game.
Ahh , wow. Crazy crazy post.
Broncos will be 5 wins ahead of us and in the top 4. You will learn.
QLD team mate, guts and glory.
Wish we had their heart

JDHD

Juniors
The guy was in the Australian squad and hasn't had the chance to gel with his team mates.

Within 4 to 6 weeks he will become a game changer for us.

Blake Green and DCE took about six weeks to gel last year and we all know how that worked out

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons: Hunt looking to up ante against Souths
Dragons Den News
r0_0_2177_2997_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

MEASURED: New Dragons half Ben Hunt plans to build on a solid first-up display for his new club in this weekend's Charity Shield. Picture: AAP

DRAGONS half Ben Hunt will be looking for a more dominant display in this weekend’s Charity Shield after a measured first-up effort against Hull on Saturday.

The big-money recruit had some good touches in a 72-minute club debut but deferred the bulk of play-making efforts to skipper Gareth Widdop.

The 28-year-old said he’d been wary of over-playing his hand in his first hit-out, but will have no such concern against South Sydney at Mudgee this week.

“I sort of started a bit slow and felt my way into the game,” Hunt said post-match.

“I felt I was in a new side so I just tried to work my way into the game a bit rather than getting my hands on the ball and taking [on] the game.

“Going forward I need to be a bit different to that, I need to inject myself into the game straight away. I’m the halfback here and that’s what they need from me.

“Through this trial and hopefully next week I can start getting my hands on the ball a bit earlier. It’s something I need to work on and get myself into the game.

“[But] I was quite enjoying myself out there. It’s always fun to have your first hit-out and, being with a new team, it was really enjoyable.”

Hunt’s arrival at his new club was a belated one following last year’s World Cup.

It limited his time on the training paddock and Origin and Test utility said combinations will inevitably take some time to develop.

“It’s a tricky one. We’re working pretty hard at it, I can’t really say how long it’s going to take,” Hunt said.

“Coming into a completely new side I’ve got to work out how everyone plays so it’s going to take a little while.

“It’s going pretty quickly and everything we have been doing is moving along very fast but it’s going to take a few weeks to really work out how players play.

“It’s not just me and Gaz, I’ve got to learn how Cam [McInnes] likes to play, how [Matt] Dufty likes to play.

“I’ll have Friz [Tyson Frizell] on my edge, I need to learn how he’s going to play the game and even your forwards, you need to work out which guys get the quick play-the-balls for you so there’s a lot to it.”

Perhaps the most encouraging sign for Hunt was the ease with which he linked with fullback Matt Dufty.

The pair combined to lay on Jason Nightingale’ first-half try and caused the Hull defence no end of headaches on the right edge.

Having spent the latter part of his career with the Broncos alongside Darius Boyd, Hunt is well aware how much of a blessing it is to have a ball-playing No. 1.

“He’s a good little player Duft,” Hunt said.

“You give him the ball out the back with a tiny bit of room he’s going to make it into a lot of room.

“He’s got a lot of speed and he’s is really electric so the more times we can get the ball to him with space, it’s going to do some damage.

“It’s massive bonus when you’ve got such quality out the back on your plays. It definitely helps us [halves] for sure.

“You’ve just got to know when to get them the ball and they’ll do the rest.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5234524/hunt-looking-to-up-ante-against-souths/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
I need to take the reins, says Hunt
  • Local Sport
    r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

NRL halfback Ben Hunt says he needs to take the reins more after his first outing for the Dragons.
    After pulling on the Red V guernsey for the first time, Ben Hunt has vowed to take greater control of his new side.

The Australian playmaker had a promising outing in St George Illawarra's 24-18 win over English Super League side Hull FC in a pre-season friendly at ANZ Stadium on Saturday.

In his 70 minutes on the field, Hunt kicked well and went within centimetres of setting up tries for Tim Lafai and Jeremy Latimore with his boot.

However, he said he was guilty of taking a back seat to five-eighth Gareth Widdop.

"I started a bit slow, I think," Hunt said.

"I felt my way into the game. Going forward I need to be a bit different and inject myself into the game. I'm the halfback here.

"That's what they need and hopefully next week I can start getting my hands on the ball earlier."

Hunt and Widdop were both outshone by 22-year-old fullback Matt Dufty who looked classy and ensured he will start the year wearing the Dragon's No.1 jumper.

Hunt departed Brisbane after signing a five-year deal with the Dragons while Widdop and hooker Cameron McInnes are on contract until 2021, meaning Paul McGregor has stability in key positions for years to come.

Hunt said the Dragons' new-look spine was a work in progress and cautioned against expecting too much too soon.

"We're working pretty hard at it," Hunt said.

"I can't say how long it's going to take. We're working hard on everything.

"It's going to take a few weeks to work out how players play. You come into a completely new side and have to work out how everyone plays."

Hunt said he was generally unhappy with his side's first outing of the pre-season as they displayed plenty of ring rust.

"We were a bit sloppy, especially in the first half," he said.

"We made too many errors, gave away silly penalties. It wasn't good enough."

Australian Associated Press

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/5234473/i-need-to-take-the-reins-says-hunt/?cs=1633

Overseas dragon

Juniors
The guy was in the Australian squad and hasn't had the chance to gel with his team mates.

Within 4 to 6 weeks he will become a game changer for us.
Exactly he's been here 5 minutes give him a month or so don't forget he had BENNETT now he has Huey duey and luey .will take time...........and anybody read what he said about DUFTY .look at the total package not pick out he's too small etc etc he has something we need speed , speed, and more speed let's use it ....

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Ouryear, Im not being funny but seriously how do you know that players are knocking back our offers because of our coaching set up? Why is it that guys like Vaughan, Frizzell, Widdop etc are re-signing and they are already in the club and playing under that coaching set up. These guys are world class and could have left the club and got big contracts with other clubs if they were not happy with the coaching set up.
We don't have a great coach that will draw players to the club but to say that all the players we are approaching are saying no because of our coach is a bit of a stretch.
It's very simple, they all love living in my birth place city of the gong. If we sign a new coaching staff, the gong will still be a nice place to live but our success on the field will improve substantially.

Latest posts