What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ v Poms in US

Evil Homer

Staff member
Same Jason Moore. I wonder why rugby plans never eventuated? Is rugby league his sloppy seconds???
Plenty of info about Moore's background has been posted on this forum. His plans actually did eventuate, he was the guy who initially got the investors on board for the PRO Rugby comp which ran for a season. He jumped to RL because in short he realized RU was a shitty product that American audiences would never take to.

Pommy

Coach
Selling Australian sport in the US is certainly a bigger task than selling American sport in Aus.
We've grown up with the big 4 American sports in movies, TV shows, cartoons.

There is the advantage that league isn’t actually shit like American sports though.

DC_fan

Coach
Selling Australian sport in the US is certainly a bigger task than selling American sport in Aus.
We've grown up with the big 4 American sports in movies, TV shows, cartoons.

Commonly referred to as soft power. America has been quite good at selling its way of life, its culture around the world through this type of power.

Australia, has never been as successful in pushing our culture around the world. For a little while there after the success of Crocodile Dundee we thought we maybe onto something. But that did not last long.

While I hope league in America succeeds, I have great doubts it will. As I have said a number of times before America is pretty well a closed shop to any new sports making headway there.

DC_fan

Coach
There is the advantage that league isn’t actually shit like American sports though.

Have never been able to take to Basketball, but absolutely love American Football and follow Baseball. All three major American sporting competitions (NFL, NBA and MLB) are popular here in Australia and around the world.

Robert B

Juniors
Plenty of info about Moore's background has been posted on this forum. His plans actually did eventuate, he was the guy who initially got the investors on board for the PRO Rugby comp which ran for a season. He jumped to RL because in short he realized RU was a shitty product that American audiences would never take to.
I thought that Schoninger dude was in charge of the original pro rugby? I missed the previous blogs on Moore's history.

DC_fan

Coach
NRL coaches reject idea of 28,000km trek to play mid-year England, New Zealand Test
DAVID RICCIO, CHIEF SPORTS WRITER, The Daily Telegraph
February 17, 2018 8:00pm

THE NRL’S biggest names would need sideline oxygen masks and feel like their lungs are on the verge of exploding if a one-off Test in the US goes ahead.

The seemingly futile proposal, which is on the brink of being rejected by NRL clubs, involves New Zealand and England playing a Test match in Denver — the highest altitude city in America — during the June 22-24 stand-alone weekend.

The radical plan, orchestrated by promoters Moore Sports, is being supported by the NZRL.

The Test is being pitched as an opportunity to promote rugby league ahead of the 2025 World Cup, which will be held in North America.

However, several NRL coaches have told The Sunday Telegraph that the US-Test is also an attempt by the NZRL to lure World Cup Tongan-defectors Jason Taumaolo, Manu Ma’u, David Fusitu’a, Sio Siua Taukeiaho, Tui Lolohea, Solomone Kata and Konrad Hurrell back to New Zealand.

The US Test proposal was raised at last week’s NRL CEO’s conference.

Such was the lukewarm response from the clubs, the NRL have requested a detailed plan from the promoters on how they intend to ensure the safety of every player who takes part in the Test and what impact the 28,000km round-trip would have on their recovery and ability to resume with their clubs within days of their return.

NRL stars including St George-Illawarra duo James Graham and Gareth Widdop, Canberra’s Elliot Whitehead and South Sydney’s Burgess brothers Sam, Thomas and George would all be expected to be chosen for England.

The Kiwis would look to select Melbourne’s Jesse and Kenny Bromwich and Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Canterbury’s Kieran Foran, Wests Tigers duo Russell Packer and Elijah Taylor, Canberra’s Jordan Rapana and Joseph Tapine and a host of Warriors including Shaun Johnson, Simon Mannering, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Adam Blair and Gerard Beale.

Denver is nicknamed the Mile High City because it is exactly one mile — or 1,609-metres — above sea level.

In comparison, Australia’s Mt Kosciuszko is just 800-metres higher.

It’s been suggested that Denver’s sky-high altitude rages a war on visitor’s bodies.

Since 1975, the Denver Broncos have boasted the best home record in the NFL.

Since 2003, the Denver Nuggets have the fourth-best home record in the NBA yet rank 13th in away record.

Tom Brady, New York Patriots and NFL great has a career record of 4-7 at Denver’s Mile High Stadium — where the US Test is proposed to be played.

It’s his worst winning percentage at any venue.

Andray Blatche visited Denver as a member of the Brooklyn Nets.

“I thought my lungs were going to explode … I thought I ran about 10 miles,’’ he told the New York Daily News.

Former NBA player and coach Byron Scott said he was “dying” and felt like he “needed (an) oxygen mask” when he played his first game in Denver.

Even NBA legend Le Bron James struggled in Denver saying; “The altitude is nothing to play with, you feel yourself gasping.’’

While England coach Wayne Bennett is a supporter of the Test, the Warriors have already gone public with their concerns.

“We haven’t had any confirmation of the Kiwis participating in it,” Warriors CEO Cameron George told the New Zealand press last week.

“Secondly, if that’s coming, we’ll be requesting all the details right through from travel details to player insurance for the United States.

“Welfare is critical but as I’ve said previously, we totally support international rugby league and the game getting wider exposure.”

The RLPA are also involved in the decision on whether the Test goes ahead.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...tory/8f9cb02405504536a48060e5fd1152fd?login=1

So is this game going ahead or not?

Coastbloke

Bench
The RLIF should book the date and venue.
The NZRL and RFL should announce the teams. England shouldnt have a problem selecting a team. Select the strongest possible team and keep going down the selection ladder as players are blocked by their clubs. Same with the NZRL. (Does anyone think the ticket buyer in Denver is going to care Sam Burgess or Shaun Johnson is in the team)
Then as per RLIF rules, those players are to be stood down from their next club match.

Burns

First Grade
Great point Coastbloke. Match should go ahead whether or not the NRL clubs sign off. Was interesting to the see that the NZRL would name JT and the Tongan players etc as a ploy to get them back in the Kiwi side.

Robert B

Juniors
I don't think Jason Moore will risk paying $500,000 to each team, if there is a risk the big names won't play. He'll need full support from NRL to risk that much money.