What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Predictions for next weekend's clashes.

Escare had plenty of game time, he played around 50-60 minutes, no different to any other match he’s played this year. You just can’t admit you backed the wrong horse can you

Morgan Escare, had he been on the field in the full back position, would have stopped Hymel Hunt, after a great run, from breaking out of the tackle and getting the ball quickly to a supporting Campbell Graham who scored for Souths. That is what happened when Sam Tomkins at full back, instead of Escare, made a weak inconclusive tackle on Hunt close to the try line.

Last edited:

The_Shield

Juniors
Morgan Escare, had he been on the field in the full back position, would have stopped Hymel Hunt from breaking out of the tackle and getting the ball quickly to a supporting Campbell Graham who scored, which is what happened when Sam Tomkins made a weak tackle on Hunt close to the try line.
I like how you changed what you said when you realised it was all bullshit and that Tomkins actually got to Hunt.

Now you talk about Tomkins weak tackle on Hunt but at least Tomkins stopped Hunt, the same can’t be said with Escare and his weak tackle on the Kennar try. What’s your excuse for that one?

I like how you changed what you said when you realised it was all bullshit and that Tomkins actually got to Hunt.

Now you talk about Tomkins weak tackle on Hunt but at least Tomkins stopped Hunt, the same can’t be said with Escare and his weak tackle on the Kennar try. What’s your excuse for that one?

Escare actually tackled Kennar decisively, but thanks to the overlap Souths had it was not until Kennar was diving over the line. Had Escare been able to get a better shot on Kennar two seconds earlier in the Souths attacking movement, Escare would have saved the try.

The_Shield

Juniors
Escare actually tackled Kennar decisively, but thanks to the overlap Souths had it was not until Kennar was diving over the line. Had Escare been able to get a better shot on Kennar two seconds earlier in the Souths attacking movement, Escare would have saved the try.
Tackled him decisively? Escare got to him about 6-7 metres out from the line, Kennar ended up scoring about 2-3 metres over the line. Kennar went about 8-9 metres after Escare got to him, that’s not what I would call a decisive tackle. You can’t criticise Tomkins for the tackle on Hunt and then praise the tackle of Escare on Kennar. Tomkins stopped Hunt from scoring, Escare couldn’t stop Kennar from scoring

Vee

First Grade
Interesting to see the results for the English teams out here. Obviously, their salary cap is much smaller and thus the NRL should be a much stronger comp.

Their premiers, with several players missing, were towelled up by Melbourne while Hull and Wigan were competitive against Illasox and Bunnies, both contenders for the lower half of the eight.

Seems a reasonable reflection of the relative strengths of the two comps.

I think someone on Nein commented that Leeds would be contending for the eight and that seemed about right.

latingringo101

Juniors
9 times out of 10 Super League teams will find it difficult to defeat their southern counterparts for the reasons you said.

I think most NRL teams would find it hard to beat that Melbourne team on Friday, Hull were on song against saints and Wigan made too many errors against South's.

To make it a truely fairer comp the WCC needs to be rotated between the UK and OZ each year or be played at a neutral venue

The way the two leagues is refereed is so different, Greg Bird said it's like playing a different sport. Not just the 2 refs, but the defensive line, in the NRL line is usually taken back 12m from the play-the-ball. That's why IMO we have to reduce the gap, 8m from ptb, doing that means we would have to reduce the numbers on the paddock I reckon; then having one ref wouldn't be such an issue.

adamkungl

Immortal
Jesus Wigan were garbage, what a disappointment. To be fair they treated it like a trial match, taking Tomkins and Williams off for extended periods

SBD82

Coach
Jesus Wigan were garbage, what a disappointment. To be fair they treated it like a trial match, taking Tomkins and Williams off for extended periods
To be fair to Wigan, mostly I think their shitness was due to souffs dragging them down to souffs' level.

adamkungl

Immortal
To be fair to Wigan, mostly I think their shitness was due to souffs dragging them down to souffs' level.

Souffs looked decent for the first 40-60 mins I thought but the game just ground to a halt towards the end. Standard pre season stuff I guess. Thought Wigan might be interested in making a statement but they seemed to be using it for match fitness.

adamkungl

Immortal
To claim the 30 pt margin on Friday is a reflection on SL is pretty odd considering that the NRL Grand Final was just as one-sided.
Leeds won't be the last side Melbourne flogs in 2018.

Imo in most seasons
The top 4 sides in SL are about on par with top 8 sides in the NRL.
The middle 4 likely wouldn't make the 8.
The bottom 4 are NSW Cup quality.

There's a lot of talent there but it's spread thin as you go down the ladder, and the comp lacks as many out and out superstars.

I'd still like to see these games given proper status by alternating hosts and playing in October.

Last edited:

Travitoh

First Grade
Wigan are clearly going to thrash South Sydney. Alex Johnston, Hymel Hunt, Robbie Farah, Thomas Burgess, Damien Cook and George Burgess will play for Souths, but Greg Inglis, Sam Burgess and Adam Reynolds (injured) will be missing. That won't stop Wigan from trouncing the Rabbitohs.

Expect great performances from Wigan's Sam Tomkins, the gun French full back Morgan Escare, and former Souths winger Joe Burgess.

:joy::joy::joy: