What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne~NFL~RU~Tits~Eels~Dad~Jailed~Mistrial~Jailed 5yrs~Retrial~Jailed~Appeal

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
No

Not round one, but maybe at some point. We've got lots of backline options and there could be a lot of movement throughout the year.

I say round 1 as Guth is out. Once he's back in fingers crossed he stays in. I hope there is little to no movement in the backline, hence why I think that combination is a possibility.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I hope not, French is our best option with Guth out IMO.

Smith is no more than a back up at best IMO.

I too think French is the best option with Gutherson out. That line up would create the least disruption once Gutherson returns, all that changes is Smith is out of the 13 or the 17 completely. With French at fullback we'd then have to move him back to the wing and then drop that winger.

I don't think it'll happen, just something interesting to think about.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I too think French is the best option with Gutherson out. That line up would create the least disruption once Gutherson returns, all that changes is Smith is out of the 13 or the 17 completely. With French at fullback we'd then have to move him back to the wing and then drop that winger.

I don't think it'll happen, just something interesting to think about.
I just don’t think that Smith is a first grade quality number 1, on the whole he did fairly well for us in the back end of last year but i’d Love to see French get first crack and really show what he can do.

T-Boon

Coach
I dont mean this to sound too critical of French but has anyone seen him play a really good game at fullback. I mean a MOM type performance??
My recollection is that he got a go last season and did not set the house on fire.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I dont mean this to sound too critical of French but has anyone seen him play a really good game at fullback. I mean a MOM type performance??
My recollection is that he got a go last season and did not set the house on fire.
He was pretty awesome against the Warriors at fullback in the last game of 2016. His game in round 2 against St George was also excellent. And he was having a good game against the Dogs before he twinged his hammy. So yes yes i have.

hindy111

Post Whore
That’s the point. Gutherson is the fullback but Smith is the backup until he is fit.

I like Smith and I wont buy into the he is only a back up. He is 25 and was always a small frame so size held him back.. The guys worked hard to improve strength and skills and naturally filled out. He played 15 games for us last season and would of been more perhaps if wasnt injured start of season.
If he was too improve again this season its possible he becomes our starting fullback. Slim yes, but Bevans hardly cemented himself as of yet as a 14yrs NRL career guy.
I also reckon W.Smith was more consistent and had more games at a higher level that Bevan in 2017. 2 games Smith would of been close if not the best on field. Bevan i dont recall being in top 3 players once on the field in any game of 2017.

hindy111

Post Whore

W. SMITH has had more games at fullback where starred and a lot less chances also.
Bevan looks a lot better prospect due to age. If Smith was 22yld we would be talking him up along Bevan.

I like Smith and I wont buy into the he is only a back up. He is 25 and was always a small frame so size held him back.. The guys worked hard to improve strength and skills and naturally filled out. He played 15 games for us last season and would of been more perhaps if wasnt injured start of season.
If he was too improve again this season its possible he becomes our starting fullback. Slim yes, but Bevans hardly cemented himself as of yet as a 14yrs NRL career guy.
I also reckon W.Smith was more consistent and had more games at a higher level that Bevan in 2017. 2 games Smith would of been close if not the best on field. Bevan i dont recall being in top 3 players once on the field in any game of 2017.
The stats on the Eels site are pretty good. Guth and Hayne clearly the best defenders, then a step down to Smith then again to French. But nobody is interested in defence.

hindy111

Post Whore
Age won’t help? They are both 30 this year. Younger than half the merkins in both Origin teams.

Fitler I feel will want fresh or younger guys. Id pick them if in form but I can see Freddy pushing for Moses and Cleary as well due to age. He will have the job for 3yrs and its how I think he will roll

Latest posts