What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League rebranded?

Stallion

First Grade
North of England "Rugby" is Rugby league. Maybe it will be the same in Toronto!
Its only because we sat passively by whilst Rugby Union dropped the differentiator of Union and started calling itself just "Rugby" that the problem has become much greater.

Doesn't help when the only other significant place for the game in the world calls it football, which to every other part of the world is soccer. Then the organisation responsible for the game semi rebrands it NRL, despite the fact that is a competition not a sport. No wonder know one knows what our game is!

The NRL has acknowledged this naming mistake and will use rugby league from now on. That's from Greenberg a few months ago. But PR you bring up a very good point. Even Rugby league people mistakenly refer to rugby union as 'rugby'. That needs to stop! It's rugby league and rugby union. Simple as that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NRL has acknowledged this naming mistake and will use rugby league from now on. That's from Greenberg a few months ago. But PR you bring up a very good point. Even Rugby league people mistakenly refer to rugby union as 'rugby'. That needs to stop! It's rugby league and rugby union. Simple as that.

That horse has bolted. Sadly outside of the m62 corridor “Rugby”equals rugby union, even within our own circles.
It’s like touch “footy”.why not touch league or touchRL?
Oztag? Not a mention of rugby league on the website.

ed-grimley

Bench
What's the point of attracting people who don't know the difference between League and Union or don't realise there actually is a difference?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
North of England "Rugby" is Rugby league. Maybe it will be the same in Toronto!
Its only because we sat passively by whilst Rugby Union dropped the differentiator of Union and started calling itself just "Rugby" that the problem has become much greater.

Doesn't help when the only other significant place for the game in the world calls it football, which to every other part of the world is soccer. Then the organisation responsible for the game semi rebrands it NRL, despite the fact that is a competition not a sport. No wonder know one knows what our game is!

Even if this is true (which it is clearly not), it is an incredibly negative strategy for growth...

We are using a brand that ONLY makes sense to people who ALREADY follow the game.

Its like we dont want new fans....

Stallion

First Grade
That horse has bolted. Sadly outside of the m62 corridor “Rugby”equals rugby union, even within our own circles.
It’s like touch “footy”.why not touch league or touchRL?
Oztag? Not a mention of rugby league on the website.

Leaguetag is well named. It can be remedied. Just need to pick up on people within the code not using the terms properly. But I agree it's not a good way to refer to the code with 'ugly big brother' union deliberately trying to usurp a name in 'rugby' that should apply equally to both codes. To differentiate in a discourse it should be union or league with people in the know. Outside of that its should be rugby union or rugby league. Not to difficult but I think we know what the angle of the union people is. And it's not 'helping' out rugby league that's for sure. Or even being fair minded!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Leaguetag is well named. It can be remedied. Just need to pick up on people within the code not using the terms properly. But I agree it's not a good way to refer to the code with 'ugly big brother' union deliberately trying to usurp a name in 'rugby' that should apply equally to both codes. To differentiate in a discourse it should be union or league with people in the know. Outside of that its should be rugby union or rugby league. Not to difficult but I think we know what the angle of the union people is. And it's not 'helping' out rugby league that's for sure. Or even being fair minded!

lol, why would Union be fair minded to league after over a century of despising it for breaking away?
I say well done to them for getting on the front foot and taking advantage of Leagues stupidity. In coining the phrase "Rugby" they have finally got over the top of RL globally and made it a thousand times harder for us to be differentiated from them or to justify ourselves as a totally different sport. Its a master stroke by the Union toffs! all aided and abetted by Rugby Leagues inability to be strategic and consider what impact things like using NRL and SL has on how the game is known and viewed.

Our only response is to forever be seen as a minor strange variant of "Rugby" (sic) by the great unwashed or to get radical and change the name and rules of the game to the point it is clearly seen as a very different sport with little obvious connection to "Rugby".

Neither are particularly palatable.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Who is actually gonna be the branding Nazi at grounds and in pubs?

"Mate, I know you have followed the game since you were a kid, but can you call it Rugby League. Calling the game League is discriminatory and lets the Rugby Union people win..."

Yeah, that merkins gonna be the life of the party.

Meanwhile, it dosnt address the actual problem for new fans that the name still makes no f*cking sense.

"Yeah, this is Rugby Competition. I know it looks a lot like Rugby Competition, but they are actually two very distinct games" *eyes glaze over*

Perth Red

Post Whore
Who is actually gonna be the branding Nazi at grounds and in pubs?

"Mate, I know you have followed the game since you were a kid, but can you call it Rugby League. Calling the game League is discriminatory and lets the Rugby Union people win..."

Yeah, that merkins gonna be the life of the party.

Meanwhile, it dosnt address the actual problem for new fans that the name still makes no f*cking sense.

"Yeah, this is Rugby Competition. I know it looks a lot like Rugby Competition, but they are actually two very distinct games" *eyes glaze over*

If I had a $ for every person in perth I have had to explain the difference to when I have answered that I follow "rugby" lol. Goes something like:

me: Nah not really into AFL, more a rugby fan
Them: oh shame about the Force
me: nah thats union, I support League
Them: bemused look
Me: You know NRL
Them: oh yeh, is there a difference?
Me: yeh different sports
Them: They look the same?
Me: Nah, League is much tougher
Them: oh ok, what abut them Wallabies?
Me: Sigh

I have had this conversation sooooooooo many times!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
lol, why would Union be fair minded to league after over a century of despising it for breaking away?
I say well done to them for getting on the front foot and taking advantage of Leagues stupidity. In coining the phrase "Rugby" they have finally got over the top of RL globally and made it a thousand times harder for us to be differentiated from them or to justify ourselves as a totally different sport. Its a master stroke by the Union toffs! all aided and abetted by Rugby Leagues inability to be strategic and consider what impact things like using NRL and SL has on how the game is known and viewed.

Our only response is to forever be seen as a minor strange variant of "Rugby" (sic) by the great unwashed or to get radical and change the name and rules of the game to the point it is clearly seen as a very different sport with little obvious connection to "Rugby".

We dont need to change the rules, just the branding.

When the sport calls itself "Rugby", it primes people to think about everything they already know about Rugby. The reason we are always compared to union isnt because we look similar, its because we TELL people to compare us to Union.

Call the sport "Australian Gridiron" and people would be thinking about NFL when they start watch. Call the sport "Hand Soccer" and people will think about the EPL.

Priming viewers to think about Union as they sit down to watch League is the f*cking reason we are always se as a shitty version of Union.

ITS OUR OWN F*CKING FAULT.

If I had a $ for every person in perth I have had to explain the difference to when I have answered that I follow "rugby" lol. Goes something like:

me: Nah not really into AFL, more a rugby fan
Them: oh shame about the Force
me: nah thats union, I support League
Them: bemused look
Me: You know NRL
Them: oh yeh, is there a difference?
Me: yeh different sports
Them: They look the same?
Me: Nah, League is much tougher
Them: oh ok, what abut them Wallabies?
Me: Sigh

I have had this conversation sooooooooo many times!

Try having this conversation in Europe and Asia...

And we wonder why RL is still a minnow sport.

Stallion

First Grade

Or perhaps rugby league should be seen as "Elite Rugby"! ? Depends if you want to hide in the hole or not?! (You blokes seem to be that way inclined!)

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade

When the sport calls itself "Rugby", it primes people to think about everything they already know about Rugby. The reason we are always compared to union isnt because we look similar, its because we TELL people to compare us to Union.

Call the sport "Australian Gridiron" and people would be thinking about NFL when they start watch. Call the sport "Hand Soccer" and people will think about the EPL.

Priming viewers to think about Union as they sit down to watch League is the f*cking reason we are always se as a shitty version of Union.

ITS OUR OWN F*CKING FAULT.

Try having this conversation in Europe and Asia...

And we wonder why RL is still a minnow sport.

No you idiot. Its because union has been doing its dirty deceitful tricks against rugbyleague for decades. Work it out idiot! Their's proof just read it! Might wake you up?

Stallion

First Grade

So fair mindedness does not come into it. Im sure the neutral sports fan would have a different view point than you PR. Most I speak to are amazed at the deceitfullness and dodginess of union. You PR have poor ethics and values. Get that one up ya!

Perth Red

Post Whore
So fair mindedness does not come into it. Im sure the neutral sports fan would have a different view point than you PR. Most I speak to are amazed at the deceitfullness and dodginess of union. You PR have poor ethics and values. Get that one up ya!

Oh you've got some sand in the vag today. Its business, lol fair mindedness? How fricking naïve are you!!
You'd have to be pretty stupid to think this isn't a competition and fight for $'s, profile and position. Same as with AFL. But then you are pretty stupid to be fair. Throw in the class system of the two codes and the distaste from Union at our cheek to break away in the first place and if you expect them to be anything other than total barstewards towards us you are totally deluded!

Fair mindedness, lol

Perth Red

Post Whore

Id do some tweakin to further distance it for the casual viewer. Get rid of scrums altogether. Get rid of kicks at goal. see if anything can be done with ball shape to improve passing and handling of the ball etc. Doesn't need much, just some minor adjustments to not look like "Rugby" (sic).

Throw in a new name (we have changed names before and now have a variety of ways we describe the game so no great unprecedented upheaval)

and new teams etc to top flight in both hemis and wham bam we have Rugby League for the 21st Century.

Stallion

First Grade
Id do some tweakin to further distance it for the casual viewer. Get rid of scrums altogether. Get rid of kicks at goal. see if anything can be done with ball shape to improve passing and handling of the ball etc. Doesn't need much, just some minor adjustments to not look like "Rugby" (sic).

Throw in a new name (we have changed names before and now have a variety of ways we describe the game so no great unprecedented upheaval)

and new teams etc to top flight in both hemis and wham bam we have Rugby League for the 21st Century.

PR. If you are serious about this suggestion you are a lunatic!