What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Women's NRL

T-Boon

Coach
Hopefully the NRL version kicks off with a bang this year. Being able to play SOO, internationals and getting exposure during the finals should help. SOO in particular has a lot of potential, they should push that hard.

Is women state of origin 3 games or a 1 off?

Perth Red

Post Whore
The AFLW has been a huge success for the AFL. I'm interested how the big sports will handle the women's games going forward. Do they plan to keep it in the off season?

Also I'll admit I didn't realise they were already charging for AFLW's matches.

Hopefully the NRL version kicks off with a bang this year. Being able to play SOO, internationals and getting exposure during the finals should help. SOO in particular has a lot of potential, they should push that hard.

Not sure about Melbourne but Perth is $2 inc travel so not selling them to make money from the ticket at this point in time! Still predicting 50k to be there and every ticket has gone. They are smart and have included a mens team warm up and signing session, no doubt they will shift a stack of Dockers memberships and merch on the day. Nice earner!

Not sure about Melbourne but Perth is $2 inc travel so not selling them to make money from the ticket at this point in time! Still predicting 50k to be there and every ticket has gone. They are smart and have included a mens team warm up and signing session, no doubt they will shift a stack of Dockers memberships and merch on the day. Nice earner!
Hey dildo, nice memo from your best buds wasn't it?

T-Boon

Coach
So I just watched the first quarter of GWS v Carlton while Anthony Mundine's wife cooked me dinner in her lingerie.

Sorry but that product is completely unacceptable as televised sport. It is doing real womens sport a disservice. The AFL needs to abort and get these girls some training for a few years.

Shorty

Staff member
So I just watched the first quarter of GWS v Carlton while Anthony Mundine's wife cooked me dinner in her lingerie.

Sorry but that product is completely unacceptable as televised sport. It is doing real womens sport a disservice. The AFL needs to abort and get these girls some training for a few years.
Think part of it (and it's already been said pretty sure) AFL pinches big names from other sports like basketball and rugby 7s.
So to me it's sort or karma.

It's for publicity, grab the big names instead of getting the ones that have been playing for years and developing.
That's why you'll notice there's not a lot of structure compared to the men's because they aren't used to each other.

Hopefully the NRL is taking note.

Stallion

First Grade
Very different codes! Womens rugby league is great to watch! It is very intense and has the freedom of play thst is sometimes lacking in the Mens comp. Although both versions are excellent entertainment!

T-Boon

Coach
So only 5 teams have bothered to put in a bid and thats all she wrote.
The teams that bid: Dragons, Souths, Sharks, Roosters, Broncos.

The rest of the NRL clubs say they can't offered it. They can die a painful death.
They should run the comp with those 5 teams plus talk the Bears or Perth Pirates into putting a team in Western Sydney and let those 6 clubs get all the best talent.

In the last 24 hours the Auckland Warriors road block the international game plus didn't bother putting in a bid for the WNRL. I'd be more than happy to see them kicked out of the comp and replaced by someone new like the Auckland Bears.

Coparugby

Juniors
I watched Raiders v Panthers in the Tarsha Gale cup over the weekend. Great entertainment and if some of these players move onto the WNRL in the coming years it’d be great for the competition.

Diesel

Referee

The rest of the NRL clubs say they can't offered it. They can die a painful death.
They should run the comp with those 5 teams plus talk the Bears or Perth Pirates into putting a team in Western Sydney and let those 6 clubs get all the best talent.

In the last 24 hours the Auckland Warriors road block the international game plus didn't bother putting in a bid for the WNRL. I'd be more than happy to see them kicked out of the comp and replaced by someone new like the Auckland Bears.
Not up to date about the Warriors but I doubt the Auckland club would be funding it. The NRL may in someway be roadvlocking it to reduce costs.

I agree with you about adding a Bears or Pirates club to the WNRL

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

In fairness to the clubs, the NRL sprung this on them once, in all likelihood, their budgets were set for the season. To magically find several hundred thousand to fund a women's team for 6-8 weeks wouldn't be a forseeable cost, surely.

Eion

First Grade

I’m a big supporter of women’s sport (got 3 girls myself) but this was an absolute bludger to watch. I suppose not being a fan of the sport in general didn’t help, but it seemed to highlight all the bad things in the men’s game.

Btw the women’s league is great to watch. I would seriously rather watch the Sharks women play, than cam smith grubbing it up in the WCC the other night.

T-Boon

Coach
Btw the women’s league is great to watch. I would seriously rather watch the Sharks women play, than cam smith grubbing it up in the WCC the other night.

I completely agree. The big advantage the NRL has with regards the womens game is it actually looks good, the way RL is supposed to look - unlike the way the NRL mens game is played these days.

T-Boon

Coach
In fairness to the clubs, the NRL sprung this on them once, in all likelihood, their budgets were set for the season. To magically find several hundred thousand to fund a women's team for 6-8 weeks wouldn't be a forseeable cost, surely.

For clubs like Parramatta, Penrith and Canterbury finding the funding would have been easy if the clubs could see the purpose in this which they clearly can't.
That sounds like club membership 10 years ago right? Or expansion now. These clubs are knuckle dragging fools.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
For clubs like Parramatta, Penrith and Canterbury finding the funding would have been easy if the clubs could see the purpose in this which they clearly can't.
That sounds like club membership 10 years ago right? Or expansion now. These clubs are knuckle dragging fools.
Just because you say it, it doesn't make it true. If major organisations have a budget like that they won't just *take a hit* because it feels good. NRL erred in announcing this later than needed.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Can we call this comp the Kellie Underwood Cup? I'm sure she will give it the attention it deserves through the various shows that she hosts / co-hosts.

T-Boon

Coach
Can we call this comp the Kellie Underwood Cup? I'm sure she will give it the attention it deserves through the various shows that she hosts / co-hosts.

I saw her at my gym once before I knew who she was (she was interviewing a netballer). If I knew who she was I think I would have lost my gym membership and possibly my freedom.

T-Boon

Coach
Just because you say it, it doesn't make it true. If major organisations have a budget like that they won't just *take a hit* because it feels good. NRL erred in announcing this later than needed.

Thats what I mean though, the clubs think they are just doing it to feel good so they don't really want to do it. They don't see the point of the whole exercise because it isn't right in front of their face. The NRL needs to get into these clubs and explain it to them like they are 3 year olds over and over again.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
AFL aren't stupid unlike NRL. AFL helped out with funding meaning they had 13 clubs fighting for a place at the table for AFLW. NRL asked clubs to fund it themselves and got 5 responses. Seriously why would you unless you have a pokie den who can put it under grass roots sport expenditure?

This is what the AFL is tipping into the comp:

The AFL’s direct financial commitment to player salaries totals $2.275 million for the 2017 eight-week season before increasing to $2.454 million in 2018.
In addition to the package, the NAB AFL Women’s players will receive:
· Football boots and runners
· Travel allowance when playing interstate
· Income protection insurance
· Coverage for out-of-pocket medical expenses for the 52 weeks post contract
· An allowance to pay for a carer when travelling interstate in cases where a player has a child under 12 months

I'd love to see a WC Pirates women's team in NRLW before the WCEagles got one in AFLW, that would be very amusing. Sadly no way the NRLWA can afford it.

T-Boon

Coach
AFL aren't stupid unlike NRL. AFL helped out with funding meaning they had 13 clubs fighting for a place at the table for AFLW. NRL asked clubs to fund it themselves and got 5 responses. Seriously why would you unless you have a pokie den who can put it under grass roots sport expenditure?

This was not an option for the NRL because there is no way the NRL clubs would allow the NRL to fund a competition that does not include all of them. The other 8 teams would be up in arms.
The AFL just have much smarter clubs.