What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Women's NRL

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
What part of "AFL helped out with funding" don't you get?

Danish

Referee
AFL aren't stupid unlike NRL. AFL helped out with funding meaning they had 13 clubs fighting for a place at the table for AFLW. NRL asked clubs to fund it themselves and got 5 responses. Seriously why would you unless you have a pokie den who can put it under grass roots sport expenditure?

This is what the AFL is tipping into the comp:

The AFL’s direct financial commitment to player salaries totals $2.275 million for the 2017 eight-week season before increasing to $2.454 million in 2018.
In addition to the package, the NAB AFL Women’s players will receive:
· Football boots and runners
· Travel allowance when playing interstate
· Income protection insurance
· Coverage for out-of-pocket medical expenses for the 52 weeks post contract
· An allowance to pay for a carer when travelling interstate in cases where a player has a child under 12 months

I'd love to see a WC Pirates women's team in NRLW before the WCEagles got one in AFLW, that would be very amusing. Sadly no way the NRLWA can afford it.

The AFLW is a perfect fumbleball success story.

It attracts zero viewers and can't make a zac of income since tickets cost nothing (and still people don't show up), but hey as long as the papers print out the propaganda we send them about how great it is thats all that matters.

Soon the AFL will use all this garbage media coverage to sucker in ch7 and various local, state, and federal governments to take over funding their little marketing project for the next 5 years and be sitting pretty.

Stallion

First Grade

It attracts zero viewers and can't make a zac of income since tickets cost nothing (and still people don't show up), but hey as long as the papers print out the propaganda we send them about how great it is thats all that matters.

Soon the AFL will use all this garbage media coverage to sucker in ch7 and various local, state, and federal governments to take over funding their little marketing project for the next 5 years and be sitting pretty.

Well assessed Danish referee!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

f**k this shit is painful.

Stallion

First Grade
f**k this shit is painful.

On a more positive note: The womens rugby league at a local level seems to be finally happening! In Newcastle a local based competition is sproutiing. Along with leaguetag these are positive on the ground developments for rugby league. Its been long overdue in the Hunter but finally taken up and supported by local administrators. I've heard numbers for the training run code of AFL have dramatically decreased. Especially since the introduction of leaguetag up here!

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
NRL WOMENS COMP: Surely a decent sponsor like Harvey Norman will sponsor and cover many costs for this promising competition?

T-Boon

Coach
NRL WOMENS COMP: Surely a decent sponsor like Harvey Norman will sponsor and cover many costs for this promising competition?

You would like to think so though corporates are likely to think if a club like Parra isn't interested then it sounds pretty weak.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
On a more positive note: The womens rugby league at a local level seems to be finally happening! In Newcastle a local based competition is sproutiing. Along with leaguetag these are positive on the ground developments for rugby league. Its been long overdue in the Hunter but finally taken up and supported by local administrators. I've heard numbers for the training run code of AFL have dramatically decreased. Especially since the introduction of leaguetag up here!

Stallion, what is the significance of leaguetag specifically in Newcastle in your opinion? Have things like touch football never been played there? How does leaguetag differ?

Stallion

First Grade
Stallion, what is the significance of leaguetag specifically in Newcastle in your opinion? Have things like touch football never been played there? How does leaguetag differ?

The play the ball is with the foot in Leaguetag. More fun around ruck play. Plenty of subtleties missed with the run and dump play of touch these days.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The play the ball is with the foot in Leaguetag. More fun around ruck play. Plenty of subtleties missed with the run and dump play of touch these days.

Thanks mate - was this or touch football never played in Newcastle before recently? If not, that seems really odd.

T-Boon

Coach
Thanks mate - was this or touch football never played in Newcastle before recently? If not, that seems really odd.

Dude - come on. All forms of footy including touch footy are HUGE here in Newcastle and the whole Hunter region. We sold out Maitland sports ground for Newcastle v Parramatta before people from Sydney were able to work out where Maitland is on map.
Clive Churchill, the 8th, Caitlin Moran the second best female football player in the world, Dylan Hennessy the best touch footballer in the world is from the Hunter (or at least the Central Coast which wishes it was the Hunter).

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Dude - come on. All forms of footy including touch footy are HUGE here in Newcastle and the whole Hunter region. We sold out Maitland sports ground for Newcastle v Parramatta before people from Sydney were able to work out where Maitland is on map.
Clive Churchill, the 8th, Caitlin Moran the second best female football player in the world, Dylan Hennessy the best touch footballer in the world is from the Hunter (or at least the Central Coast which wishes it was the Hunter).

Thanks for the confirmation. I might have misinterpreted Stallion's post but it seemed like touch / tag wasn't played there until recently which I found baffling. Maybe he meant in schools.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Its costing them about $4.5mill a year, the positive publicity and market leader positioning they have milked out of it would be worth significantly more than that. A good return on investment.
Its not often they get it wrong (although they may have with AFLX looking at the feedback on it from AFL fans)

As is usual for RL, its nothing to do with the product on the field, womens RL is far far superior to the AFLW standard, but sadly the leadership and administration of RL falls way behind the quality of the product on offer.

Stallion

First Grade
Thanks for the confirmation. I might have misinterpreted Stallion's post but it seemed like touch / tag wasn't played there until recently which I found baffling. Maybe he meant in schools.

Tag is the mover and shaker! Like I informed touch has done itself and rugby league no favours by taking away the play the ball with foot rule. Leaguetag has opened up the female interest and market bigtime! The distinct difference is the ruck play, tags and kicking in play freedom. I used to play touch football but did not like the dump and run mentality in the ruck play so left. I now play tag and its so much more like footy without tackles because it has maintained the play the ball. Leaguetag started in Newcastle two years ago. Newcastle was the last centre in NSW to take it up. Touch football has been in for decades but its ruck rules have made it a pretty unnattractive code to play , especially for ex footballers that are not gazelles! Hope this fills you in better. I'm also advocating it be introduced as a PSSA school sport but this has not occured yet whilst AFL etc has such status.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Its costing them about $4.5mill a year, the positive publicity and market leader positioning they have milked out of it would be worth significantly more than that. A good return on investment.
Its not often they get it wrong (although they may have with AFLX looking at the feedback on it from AFL fans)

As is usual for RL, its nothing to do with the product on the field, womens RL is far far superior to the AFLW standard, but sadly the leadership and administration of RL falls way behind the quality of the product on offer.

We are in aggreeance PR !

T-Boon

Coach
the leadership and administration of RL falls way behind the quality of the product on offer.

Dont blame the administration at NRL level - it is all on the clubs. The only reason the NRL won't fund an 8 team WNRL comp is that the NRL clubs will not allow them to.

The AFL has always been able to get their clubs to see the bigger picture and leave petty jealousy out of it.

The NRL get it. The clubs dont.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Tag is the mover and shaker! Like I informed touch has dine itself and rugby league no favours by taking away the play the ball with foot rule. Leaguetag has opened up the female interest and market bigtime! The distinct difference is the ruck play, tags and kicking in play freedom. I used to play touch football but did not like the dump and run mentality in the ruck play so left. I now play tag and its so much more like footy without tackles because it has maintained the play the ball. Leaguetag started in Newcastle two years ago. Newcastle was the last centre in NSW to take it up. Touch football has been in for decades but its ruck rules have made it a pretty unnattractive code to play , especially for ex footballers that are not gazelles! Hope this fills you in better. I'm also advocating it be introduced as a PSSA schhols sport but this has not occured yet whilst AFL etc has such status.

Thanks mate - is league tag aligned with the NRL like touch football is?