What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

carcharias

Immortal
No they weren't... It's just that there were two refs officiating those rules instead of one.

I really don't get the big deal about the one or two refs thing, like what exactly were Leeds upset or scared of because there were two refs instead of one? The only thing I can think of is that they were scared that there was two sets of eyes watching them instead of one and that they wouldn't be able to get away with as much as they normally do...

If there was a significant rule change sprung on them at the last minute then they'd have something to be angry about, but realistically that's not what happened, the rules weren't changed in any significant way there was just going to be two refs officiating those rules instead of one.

And frankly, making it as easy for them as possible in an attempt to make the game closer isn't going to help them develop their game...
So why was the agreement of 1 ref changed without consulting the poms?
The only have 1 ref that was agreement for the game played here.

That’s just the start of the rort anyway.

Some of those decisions were embarrassing to watch.
Some of the poms were truely perplexed by some of the penalties and the holding down.
That holding down in tackles is completely ruining the game.
It’s shit to watch ...really shit.
f**kwit Smith a held bloke down when he had the ball at one point.
It’s turning the game into a joke.
It’s all about getting penalties.
The storm don’t need to do that to win but they do it so much nobody will want to watch.

Saint Doc

Coach
No they weren't... It's just that there were two refs officiating those rules instead of one.

I really don't get the big deal about the one or two refs thing, like what exactly were Leeds upset or scared of because there were two refs instead of one? The only thing I can think of is that they were scared that there was two sets of eyes watching them instead of one and that they wouldn't be able to get away with as much as they normally do...

If there was a significant rule change sprung on them at the last minute then they'd have something to be angry about, but realistically that's not what happened, the rules weren't changed in any significant way there was just going to be two refs officiating those rules instead of one.

And frankly, making it as easy for them as possible in an attempt to make the game closer isn't going to help them develop their game...

- International rules have one referee and always have.
- Every game of rugby league around the world, from u/6’s in Townsville to schoolboy league in Auckland to League 1 in Bradford- use one referee. EXCEPT the NRL.
- The recent RLWC, under the rules of rugby league, had one referee
- There was an agreement between the clubs when they negotiated the game, that one referee would be used.
- Leeds would have never played under two referees.

If, as you suggest, there is no difference with two referees, then why change the agreement at the last minute?
If you recall there was a lot of angst when the NRL introduced two referees. Refs went to training sessions to get the players used to it, there was a lot of media analysis of the changes. And in that instance both teams were being affected equally.

Leeds have given up home ground and home climate advantage to travel around the world for the chance to become world club champions. To find out a few days before the game would be officiated in a way you’ve never experienced before, that is designed to speed up the game (to your disadvantage)...well id be pissed too.

King hit

Coach
Great crowd for a pre season game in a country town.

Toowoomba's population is over 100,000. Grand central can well be a Westfield, there is a JB, max brenner, 3 rebel sports stores etc in Toowoomba as well. It's not a country town at all. It's also the biggest inland city in Australia (besides the capital Canberra).

beave

Coach
Toowoomba's population is over 100,000. Grand central can well be a Westfield, there is a JB, max brenner, 3 rebel sports stores etc in Toowoomba as well. It's not a country town at all. It's also the biggest inland city in Australia (besides the capital Canberra).

Jesus, stop the fight!!!

That fact alone makes me want to move there...... be f**ked if I want to see meccas like Alice Springs and Mt Isa get populated anywhere near Toowoomba levels and lose the prestigious title of ‘Australia’s Biggest Inland City Besides Canberra’.......

carcharias

Immortal
Jesus, stop the fight!!!

That fact alone makes me want to move there...... be f**ked if I want to see meccas like Alice Springs and Mt Isa get populated anywhere near Toowoomba levels and lose the prestigious title of ‘Australia’s Biggest Inland City Besides Canberra’.......
Ha
It says that under the population number on the Toowoomba sign.

The Great Dane

First Grade
So why was the agreement of 1 ref changed without consulting the poms?
The only have 1 ref that was agreement for the game played here.

That’s just the start of the rort anyway.

Some of those decisions were embarrassing to watch.
Some of the poms were truely perplexed by some of the penalties and the holding down.
That holding down in tackles is completely ruining the game.
It’s shit to watch ...really shit.
f**kwit Smith a held bloke down when he had the ball at one point.
It’s turning the game into a joke.
It’s all about getting penalties.
The storm don’t need to do that to win but they do it so much nobody will want to watch.
- International rules have one referee and always have.
- Every game of rugby league around the world, from u/6’s in Townsville to schoolboy league in Auckland to League 1 in Bradford- use one referee. EXCEPT the NRL.
- The recent RLWC, under the rules of rugby league, had one referee
- There was an agreement between the clubs when they negotiated the game, that one referee would be used.
- Leeds would have never played under two referees.

If, as you suggest, there is no difference with two referees, then why change the agreement at the last minute?
If you recall there was a lot of angst when the NRL introduced two referees. Refs went to training sessions to get the players used to it, there was a lot of media analysis of the changes. And in that instance both teams were being affected equally.

Leeds have given up home ground and home climate advantage to travel around the world for the chance to become world club champions. To find out a few days before the game would be officiated in a way you’ve never experienced before, that is designed to speed up the game (to your disadvantage)...well id be pissed too.

Look I can't be bothered arguing about it, so I'll leave it at this-

I don't know why it was changed to two refs, I don't even know that it was actually agreed that there would be one ref, I think that what almost certainly happened was a simple misunderstanding, the poms thought that the NRL had agreed to one ref when they hadn't and the NRL thought that the poms understood that the game'd be reffed by two refs when they didn't understand that, so your typical balls up or whatever. But the whole one ref vs two refs thing is completely redundant to my argument and my opinion anyway.

The amount of refs on the pitch is completely redundant in my opinion, all that matters is the rules that they are officiating, the fact that there're two refs instead of one doesn't change whether or not something is against the rules or if somebody is breaking the rules, and it doesn't change whether or not a team/player should be pulled up by the refs for breaking those rules, that is what matters.

If their was some significant rule in the NRL that isn't played in the SL that it'd been agreed wouldn't be part of the rules for the WCC and then two days before the game they sprung it on them that it would be played in the game then they'd have something to be aggrieved about, but that's not what happened, the laws weren't changed there were just going to be two cops on the street enforcing them instead of one.

And you guys have terrible memories cause basically nothing changed when the NRL went from one ref to two, their were just as many shit decisions made when their was one ref, just as many totally random decisions that nobody could figure out what the penalty was for, etc, etc. The two ref system isn't the problem with the refereeing in the NRL, just as adding a second ref wasn't going to fix the problems with the reffing, the problems are the ideas of "game management" instead of just adjudicating the game, and "interpretations" of the rules instead of just reading them as black and white, get rid of those stupid ideas and the refereeing would clear up really quickly.

carcharias

Immortal
Look I can't be bothered arguing about it, so I'll leave it at this-

I don't know why it was changed to two refs, I don't even know that it was actually agreed that there would be one ref, I think that what almost certainly happened was a simple misunderstanding, the poms thought that the NRL had agreed to one ref when they hadn't and the NRL thought that the poms understood that the game'd be reffed by two refs when they didn't understand that, so your typical balls up or whatever. But the whole one ref vs two refs thing is completely redundant to my argument and my opinion anyway.

The amount of refs on the pitch is completely redundant in my opinion, all that matters is the rules that they are officiating, the fact that there're two refs instead of one doesn't change whether or not something is against the rules or if somebody is breaking the rules, and it doesn't change whether or not a team/player should be pulled up by the refs for breaking those rules, that is what matters.

If their was some significant rule in the NRL that isn't played in the SL that it'd been agreed wouldn't be part of the rules for the WCC and then two days before the game they sprung it on them that it would be played in the game then they'd have something to be aggrieved about, but that's not what happened, the laws weren't changed there were just going to be two cops on the street enforcing them instead of one.

And you guys have terrible memories cause basically nothing changed when the NRL went from one ref to two, their were just as many shit decisions made when their was one ref, just as many totally random decisions that nobody could figure out what the penalty was for, etc, etc. The two ref system isn't the problem with the refereeing in the NRL, just as adding a second ref wasn't going to fix the problems with the reffing, the problems are the ideas of "game management" instead of just adjudicating the game, and "interpretations" of the rules instead of just reading them as black and white, get rid of those stupid ideas and the refereeing would clear up really quickly.
It was part of the deal when the poms agreed to play here.
The storm (Bellamy ) was too precious to go over there.
So thevpoms came here to keep the concept afloat...on the agreement of 1 ref.

To be honest it’s been pretty well publicised that the poms were ripped off with the ref deal.
It’s been in the media
It was even bought up with their coach before the game in an interview.
Got me f**ked how you didn’t know about it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It was reffed to nrl rules as well, not international ones. Shame our sport can’t have one set of rules globally.

Not that it had anything to do with the result. One of the poorest Leeds teams I’ve seen in years, very little class in the side at the moment in positions that count.

Raiderdave

First Grade
If I were Leeds
I wouldn't have taken the field

It's an obvious advantage to the Storm
And no WCC has ever been officiated under 2 refs, including the one played in 2014 at the SFS

The Storm still win easily they're a class above Leeds & most other sides running around

But, why give them any ammunition to excuse the result

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
You all whinge and complain about 2 refs instead of 1, yet still say it wouldn’t of mattered? So it just feels you are finding something to whinge about. Seriously big bloody deal. Typical rugby league fans.

carcharias

Immortal
You all whinge and complain about 2 refs instead of 1, yet still say it wouldn’t of mattered? So it just feels you are finding something to whinge about. Seriously big bloody deal. Typical rugby league fans.

If it was no big deal then why did the storm get the ref situation changed?

Do you know anything about professional sport?

Pommy

Coach

The point is it undermines the impartiality of the game and it’s just amateur. International rules exist for a reason.
FIFA don’t make rules changes 2 days before the World Cup final.

moffla

Bench
Anyway. Crowds. Anyone know how Rd 1 in Perth is tracking?

Last edited by a moderator:

Clifferd

Coach
Anyway. Crowds. Anyone know how Rd 1 in Perth is tracking?

Judging by the availability of tickets it looks like more than half the capacity has sold..looking pretty good less than 3 weeks out

We could potentially see 5 crowds with 20k+ provided the weather is perfect.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its hard to know what's been opened. Trying to book tickets is a bit painful with the system they use. Still haven't decided where to sit given the oval configuration, think we'll go up a level to get a bit of elevation and take my binoculars!