What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL to finally publish TPA figures

Delboy

First Grade
Why do I have trouble in believing that Uncle Nick was unable to orchestrate sizeable TPAs for his team, that really doesn't make any sense looking at the roster and the mates:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: In the corporate world

As we have always thought looking at the figure provided by the Pelicans at the NRL, a good accountant will always beat the system. Even the numbers published for the Broncos look massive unders, but then again Toddy generally has no idea.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Did I just read that that fat knob Thaiday is earning money from government and Indigenous groups?

How is that fat merkin a role model? And why are we paying that fat f**k to be a role model? If he's such a good bloke and citizen he should do it for free.

those figures were for 2017. sam lost that contract because of his “if it ain’t white, it ain’t right” joke on the footy show.

probably re-assigned now to the even squeekier clean james roberts.

super_coach

First Grade
There are a 101 ways to pay a player indirectly under the table, and unless there is a whistle blower with rock solid evidence nothing will ever happen. The finger is often pointed at the Chooks but my gut feeling there are 15 other clubs doing it to, its just some are better at it than others

siv

First Grade
Like to see market value discounts above 5% offered to players also listed eg property / cars / shares / holidays / white goods / boats

Spot On

Coach
I would’ve assumed it was a lot higher, but when uncle Nick, the Broncos, News Ltd and private businesses are involved, they are under no obligation to provide the exact figure.

The figure of $3.7m is conservative IMO

I agree. Pretty sure the NRL site was publishing 10 million in TPA were registered only 12 months ago.
Not sure what the Tele article fluff is referring to or who has fed it to them.

Sounds like absolute BS.

Edit - Ok, just looked at the article and now see 3.6 mill of the near 10 million is paid by the private sector.

Just publish the whole lot, club by club. What's the problem???

Last edited:

TIGER14

Bench
The whole 'restraint of trade' argument against banning TPAs is bullshit.
You get paid whatever your job pays, just like everybody else.

Eion

First Grade
Are all clubs maxing out on the marquee allowance? Which clubs benefit from the ‘whole of game’ sponsors?

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
I don’t think the amounts that the media have published are that bad. Probably why they published it. Most would assume that storm would be up there with tpa’s. What really shows is the fact that TPA aren’t as bad as everyone thinks. In saying that, you would be nieve to think that clubs aren’t doing the dodgy.

There has been a push over the past couple years about wage transparency and it feels like the Nrl/clubs/Rlpa are trying to appease our needs by making the tpas public, but even they have admitted that it makes up just a small proportion of wages. I don’t think it will satisfy the general rl fan.

Personally the Nrl need to take over tpas and have Nrl contracted business agents that work on behalf of the players. They can directly approach the business community to do the deals. Players are allowed to use Nrl team marketing (for a fee 10-20%). A tpa soft cap of $500k should be introduced and any team that goes over is given that amount less in Nrl grant money. Nrl marketing grants don’t count towards tpas. The actual salary that players receive on the cap needs to be made public and tpas kept private.

This fixes most issues.
Less chance of rorting if Nrl controlled.
Business agents can engage community better.
Players will get more income if they are allowed to use team jerseys etc. this will also help with Nrl marketing in general.
Soft cap doesn’t limit players earning potential but could affect Nrl grant money.
Nrl based marketing grants should be independent of tpas/salary cap.
Players base salary should be made public to silence the rl fans.

_Johnsy

Referee
Did I just read that that fat knob Thaiday is earning money from government and Indigenous groups?

How is that fat merkin a role model? And why are we paying that fat f**k to be a role model? If he's such a good bloke and citizen he should do it for free.
Public toilet inspections in Brisbane's nightclubs for free, Brisbane City Council not sure how to respond.

ed-grimley

Bench
There will always be suspicion until there is full disclosure of who is being paid what, and there will always be people who really know nothing making outrageous claims.
I think there would be a number of players who would be embarrassed by publication of their earnings

carcharias

Immortal
The only reason they don’t want people knowing is because everyone will know how much of an advantage certain clubs have over others.

Just kidding
We already know that.