What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 NSWRL Senior Comps - ISP, Flegg, RMC, Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Seems like the NSWRL management is carrying on it as rudderless as it has been in the past - competitions, team names don't aligned - complete shit as usual.

f**king useless and people wonder why the game is dying on the vine.

imgunawin72

Juniors
Finally got some info about RMC and Shield. There'll be a small 3-round pre-season comp for RMC which will be used to establish a top four who'll progress to the NSWRL/CRL challenge cup later in the year.

Shield will have 3 weeks of trials alongside that.

Those 3 weeks for both grades coincide with R1-3 of the ISP/Flegg comps.

The season proper kicks off the weekend after Easter (April 7 and 8) and runs for 20 rounds. There's a weekend break at the start of June but they keep playing the weekend of the Origin II game which most other comps take off.

Confirmation of clubs in each grade for 2018 as follows. Each grade has 11 clubs:

Ron Massey Cup
  • Asquith Magpies
  • Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles
  • Cabramatta Two Blues
  • Glebe Burwood Wolves
  • Guildford Owls
  • Hills Bulls
  • Mounties
  • Penrith Brothers
  • St Marys
  • Wentworthville Magpies
  • Western Suburbs Magpies
Sydney Shield
  • Asquith Magpies
  • Belrose Eagles
  • Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles
  • Cabramatta Two Blues
  • East Campbelltown Eagles
  • Guildford Owls
  • Hills Bulls
  • Moorebank Rams
  • Penrith Brothers
  • St Marys
  • Wentworthville Magpies
Which country teams are in the crl challenge and when does that start ?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Seems like the NSWRL management is carrying on it as rudderless as it has been in the past - competitions, team names don't aligned - complete shit as usual.

f**king useless and people wonder why the game is dying on the vine.
Elaborate?

Team names are up to clubs.

As for competitions not aligning, a lot of the NRL's requests are what's f**ked the NSWRL competition fixturing this year.

Sounds like you have an axe to grind, tbh

Timmah

Staff member
Which country teams are in the crl challenge and when does that start ?
No clue on who the CRL teams are, there'll be four of them though.

'Quarter Finals' need to be played by April 7, 'Semi Finals' need to be played by April 27, Final will be 19 May.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Elaborate?

Team names are up to clubs.

As for competitions not aligning, a lot of the NRL's requests are what's f**ked the NSWRL competition fixturing this year.

Sounds like you have an axe to grind, tbh

I have no axe to grind but I'm also not a mouthpiece for the inept management of the game.

One example, how in the f**k could NSWRL run state competitions where Western Suburbs Magpies play State Cup, RMC but Wests Tigers are running around in the Flegg.

Last years RMC & Sydney Shield competitions were beyond incompetent. Byes, teams playing one game over a four week period - this is supposedly a semi-pro competition.

You are likely tied to NSWRL but they (mangement) only give a f**k about origin and they have only have 1 win in 11 years - so, what do they do flick one gimp coach for another one. Sorry, not one but two - add their own future livelihoods/employment. Never has so many done so little.

The game is in a shithouse state at a grassroots level.

Don't get me started on the NRL.

How long until Glebe-Burwood becomes Glebe Dirty Reds outright? With Concord already being dropped, it has to be close. Unless the Burwood part of the name is sponsor based...

kbw

Bench
One example, how in the f**k could NSWRL run state competitions where Western Suburbs Magpies play State Cup, RMC but Wests Tigers are running around in the Flegg.

Last years RMC & Sydney Shield competitions were beyond incompetent. Byes, teams playing one game over a four week period - this is supposedly a semi-pro competition.

While I do agree the NSWRL could have done it better. Both these instances are due to clubs choices, decisions and eff ups. Not the NSWRL

Timmah

Staff member
I have no axe to grind but I'm also not a mouthpiece for the inept management of the game.

You are likely tied to NSWRL but they (mangement) only give a f**k about origin and they have only have 1 win in 11 years - so, what do they do flick one gimp coach for another one. Sorry, not one but two - add their own future livelihoods/employment. Never has so many done so little.

The game is in a shithouse state at a grassroots level.

Don't get me started on the NRL.
I love the angle that if you aren't fiercely questioning the governing body that you must work for them.

Answer: No, I'm on staff on this website - an independent one.

To address your points:

- It's up to WT and WSM what they call their clubs in each division.
- Teams come and go, which affects club numbers in RMC and SS. The withdrawal of Asquith would not have helped at such short notice and contribute to the side effects you mentioned.
- I'm not tied to NSWRL at all.

I do know one or two people who happen to work there and from my experience they're in it for the betterment of the game. Don't know anyone in management to comment.

rightleftin

Juniors
Which SS teams feed into the RMC teams?

Belrose will continue to link with Glebe Burwood, and Moorebank with Canterbury Flegg while in a renewal of an arrangement from a few years ago, East Campbelltown will link with Wests Magpies.

Last year Mounties SS had a link with Emu Plains A grade. I don't know if this will continue with RMC.

rightleftin

Juniors
ISP trial: Mounties 22 Canterbury 10
Fleggg: Canterbury 34 Mounties 30

Jordan Martin has returned to Mounties after winning a premiership with Wenty. Mitch Cahalane has returned to Mounties after 3 seasons with Halifax. Isaac Montgomery has moved from Cabra to Mounties.
Veterans Tere Glassie, Shannon Chapman and Willie Mataka are all still on the Mounties playing list.

imgunawin72

Juniors

Jordan Martin has returned to Mounties after winning a premiership with Wenty. Mitch Cahalane has returned to Mounties after 3 seasons with Halifax. Isaac Montgomery has moved from Cabra to Mounties.
Veterans Tere Glassie, Shannon Chapman and Willie Mataka are all still on the Mounties playing list.
Did Isaac Montgomery trial yesterday with Mounties ?

earl park riot

Juniors
How long until Glebe-Burwood becomes Glebe Dirty Reds outright? With Concord already being dropped, it has to be close. Unless the Burwood part of the name is sponsor based...
Unlikely to change as the club is a genuine joint venture. Concord dropped off fhe name because CBG Wolves was too wordy and because Glebe's contribution increased. Burwood are integral to the Ron Massey program and the team name will reflect that.

Broncos93

Juniors

Mitch Cahalane is a good pick-up for Mounties. He had some great clashes with Jeco Makatoa in the year when Mounties played Asquith in the RMC Grand Final. Probably the only one who consistently kept Makatoa quiet that year.

rightleftin

Juniors
Mitch Cahalane is a good pick-up for Mounties. He had some great clashes with Jeco Makatoa in the year when Mounties played Asquith in the RMC Grand Final. Probably the only one who consistently kept Makatoa quiet that year.

You are thinking about his brother, Dave Cahalane, who is a centre and played in GF's in 2011, 2014 and 2015. Mitch is a prop, who has played in only one GF in 2011 because the NSW Cup team kept falling short of the GF, and was at Halifax 2015-17.

Dave Cahalane played for Penrith Brothers in A Grade last year so he may also be back this season.

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
Trials this weekend
Saturday
Bulldogs v Panthers @ Belmore - Flegg 2:30pm, ISP 4:15pm
Wests Tigers v Cronulla @ Campbelltown - Flegg 2:45pm
Wests Magpies v Newtown @ Campbelltown - ISP 4:45pm
Newcastle v Parra/Wenty @ Maitland - Flegg 3pm, ISP 4:45pm
Mounties v Manly/BWSE @ Aubrey Keech - Flegg 2pm, RMC 4pm, ISP 6pm
Roosters/Wyong v Manly/BWSE @ Gosford - Flegg 2:15pm, ISP 4:15pm