What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

True_Believer

Juniors
i think so .. maybe closer.

have watched the first half of the game - Nighty didn't do anything wrong in the first 20 or so minutes. In fact he diffused a bomb and showed urgency a couple of times to get to a loose ball before the dogs players. Along with the usual hitups etc.

The try you talk about, Nighty received the ball flat footed about 8 metres out from the line with a player already in front of him and 2 others coming across. He came back inside because he would have easily been bundled into touch had he decided to try and make a go of it in the corner. I think most wingers would have either chosen the same path or been taken into touch. I daresay only the stronger wingers like Oates or Radradra would have had an opportunity to score that try - and in my opinion would only have scored it if they came back inside. It had nothing to do with speed at all because there was no real opportunity to score in the corner.

Secondly, we bombed 5 tries in that first half - to suggest Nighty's miss was the catalyst for the Bulldogs going on and winning is incorrect in my opinion. In fact, if there was a try bombed due to lack of speed it was Nene's who had space down the side line but was covered initially by Morris who held him up long enough to allow 2 others to come and push him over the sideline. Nene got the ball a good 20 metres out from the line with plenty of space but was too slow to take any advantage.

Additionally, when Dugan went off for HIA and Nighty went to fullback, Mann went to the left wing where he was beaten all hands down by the Bulldogs winger with very little space at all. It was a miracle they didn't score down that side - it was just luck that we had cover coming across.

RufusRex

Post Whore
A few things

1. Nighty on the right is better for the team than Nighy on the left. Would be ok with him starting there this season but i expect his days are numbered.
2. Lomax looked good in his first hit out ... Some very good positional awareness and defended capably when thrown into left cetnre
3. Nene scored a try on the left tonight that Nighty wouldnt have.

Lomax looked the goods tonight. He will compete for the right centre/wing role before the season is over.

Has size, capable defender, and positions himself very well in attack and defence. Lomax clearly has confidence.

Any injuries in the FG back line will see the kid debut in the NRL.

Old Timer

Coach
He certainly looked more comfortable than Garrick! Still underdone and I wouldnt be relying on him to start the season, but will get a crack before long and will likely hold his spot.
Both Lomax and Robson have good presence about them and didn't seem fazed by the experience.
Robson I think will progressively quickly if given the chance and I agree Lomax has a bit of work to be done and that will take time.
He reminds me a bit of Latrell Mitchell who also has great natural strength which is a definite benefit for 1 so young.

BennyV

Referee
Both Lomax and Robson have good presence about them and didn't seem fazed by the experience.
Robson I think will progressively quickly if given the chance and I agree Lomax has a bit of work to be done and that will take time.
He reminds me a bit of Latrell Mitchell who also has great natural strength which is a definite benefit for 1 so young.
Indeed. But like Latrell Mitchell, he will take time to adjust to week in, week out first grade. I'd definitely start him in NSW Cup and bring him through at the first sign of injury.
Robson looks far better than I thought he would. With all our exciting backs and the jizz-fest around them, we often forget the incredible pedigrees of our young forwards. Host and Sele were amongst the best players in their age groups, and Robson has always been at the top of his. Usually forwards take a bit longer to hit their straps than backs, but this kid seems to be bucking the trend.

possm

Coach
end of 2019, to be more specific. but wouldn't be surprised to see that upgraded sometime during the year, especially if he plays first grade.
If Lomax is to start the season in reserve grade, I'd like to see him play fullback. It's a big call but I am tipping Lomax to be a great fullback. His got all the skills Dufty and Field have but he has the defence and size that a fullback needs in this day and age.

watatank

Coach
Be that as it may, short term and prob medium term he's going to be on the wing....he's probably the leading candidate to eventually take over Nightingale so I'd imagine he will play wing and centre for the time being.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Hey all, bit of unfortunate information here.

You guys know what i'm like with "inside info", i'm always a sceptic.
But i've received word from a very reliable source that Lomax won't be playing much first grade this year. This source confirmed that Zac will only play unless of an injury or two to key backline players, and even then he seems to be right down the pecking order.
The objective is an "education year" in NSW Cup for Zac. They don't want to rush him in.

hazzbeen

Bench
Hey all, bit of unfortunate information here.

You guys know what i'm like with "inside info", i'm always a sceptic.
But i've received word from a very reliable source that Lomax won't be playing much first grade this year. This source confirmed that Zac will only play unless of an injury or two to key backline players, and even then he seems to be right down the pecking order.
The objective is an "education year" in NSW Cup for Zac. They don't want to rush him in.
Tom here we go again , so they dont want to rush him . Mate if this is true he wont be even be ready the following year , most other teams seem to be able to give their young blokes a good go . Yea he will make mistakes along the way and make him better for it . This is not just for Lomax its for all our young good players . Im a believer if good enough should be playing or at least filter him in if our players are down on form .......

Reddragon

Bench
If McGregor could pick 13 robots, he would because they'd never make a mistake. They would never do anything out of the ordinary but that's how he coaches. I'm beginning to believe he'd pick someone like Aitken over Reg Gasnier for the same reason.

BennyV

Referee
If McGregor could pick 13 robots, he would because they'd never make a mistake. They would never do anything out of the ordinary but that's how he coaches. I'm beginning to believe he'd pick someone like Aitken over Reg Gasnier for the same reason.
Lol if you’re looking for an example of a player who doesn’t make mistakes, Aitken isn’t really a good one...

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Don't allways believe everything that insiders tell you.
Sometimes it is to throw you off the sent

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The point here is who would he replace?
Centre: couldn't replace McGregors love child.
Wing: couldn't replace a 3,000 game veteran and club legend
Fullback: maybe, but Dufty would have to really stuff up or get injured.

I do hope its just banter to throw off speculation and ease some pressure of expectatuon on the young man.

Reddragon

Bench
Lol if you’re looking for an example of a player who doesn’t make mistakes, Aitken isn’t really a good one...
I don't mean in defence, I meant as an example of a player that would just tuck the ball under his arm and barge ahead with no intention of ever offloading the ball, so minimising mistakes that way.