What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Expansion. Ideas and opinions.

Who would you admit as the next team into the NRL?

• Perth

Votes: 75 57.7%
  • PNG

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • Wellington/2nd NZ team

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Darwin

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Fiji

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Central Queensland/4th Queensland team

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Samoa

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please specify)/No Expansion

Votes: 12 9.2%

• Total voters

jim_57

Staff member
Given that none of the Pacific Islands have the population or corporate structure to support an NRL club on their own, I'd love to see a "South Pacific" team based out of Auckland (with QLD/NSW Cup teams for Fiji, Samoa and Tonga as feeder clubs)

-Auckland has the biggest Polynesian population on Earth (plus a healthy population of Fijians)

-Auckland has the corporate strength to support another NRL club

-It attracted huge crowds for Tongan and Samoan World Cup games

-Rugby Union in these countries are struggling financially

The NRL is made up of about 50% Polynesian players and this would give them the first choice of talent in these countries.

It'd also mean a game being played in Auckland every week, which would help grow the game in New Zealand too.

They could also take one home game per season to Fiji, Samoa and Tonga

Links with Pacific nations is definetely a good idea, even if a regular season game isn't feasible holding trials there and scouting for juniors in these countries would gain a new club 1000's of fans in those countries.

Creating a 2nd Auckland side independent of the Warriors in NSW Cup with links to Tonga & Samoa with aims for NRL would be a good place to test it.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
Links with Pacific nations is definetely a good idea, even if a regular season game isn't feasible holding trials there and scouting for juniors in these countries would gain a new club 1000's of fans in those countries.

Creating a 2nd Auckland side independent of the Warriors in NSW Cup with links to Tonga & Samoa with aims for NRL would be a good place to test it.
There's an American syndicate made up of guys from Tongan and Samoan backgrounds led by Richard Fale (Tongan-American businessman/politician) who are bidding for the Warriors.

If the NRL was smart, they'd give that group of guys a "South Pacific" club A.S.A.P and help nurture league's best current breeding ground.

jim_57

Staff member
There's an American syndicate made up of guys from Tongan and Samoan backgrounds led by Richard Fale (Tongan-American businessman/politician) who are bidding for the Warriors.

If the NRL was smart, they'd give that group of guys a "South Pacific" club A.S.A.P and help nurture league's best current breeding ground.

Not sure the legitimacy of that bid, maybe they'd be tempted to help set up a rival Auckland club with South Pacific links starting in NSW Cup if they are the real deal.

Problem is the direct path to an NRL club is blocked by strong rival bids and 16 self interested NRL clubs.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
Not sure the legitimacy of that bid, maybe they'd be tempted to help set up a rival Auckland club with South Pacific links starting in NSW Cup if they are the real deal.

Problem is the direct path to an NRL club is blocked by strong rival bids and 16 self interested NRL clubs.
Oh I agree. The current set up isn't keen for expansion.

But if they were smart, they'd jump at this mob. They're 100% legit

Stallion

First Grade

If it meant additional clubs without implosion(losing established clubs) then only stupidity is the reason for not seeing more clubs/franchise in the NRL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If it meant additional clubs without implosion(losing established clubs) then only stupidity is the reason for not seeing more clubs/franchise in the NRL.

There's also player depth, $ revenue growth from extra games v cost, logistical considerations and NRL confidence to consider/vision beyond stupidity lol.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
There's also player depth, $ revenue growth from extra games v cost, logistical considerations and NRL confidence to consider/vision beyond stupidity lol.
Player depth for a South Pacific team wouldn't be an issue. They produce huge amounts of legaue/Union players who could be drawn from.

Private ownership and an extra game each week in the TV deal would cover any financial issues and playing out of Auckland would make the logistics very feasible.

T-Boon

Coach

Coaching depth is a bigger problem than player depth.
We have one coach and 15 other guys that follow him. Mimic him. Are a year behind him. The worst thing is they are all basically gutless (except those Walker brothers).

Perth Tiger

Bench
Coaching depth is a bigger problem than player depth.
We have one coach and 15 other guys that follow him. Mimic him. Are a year behind him. The worst thing is they are all basically gutless (except those Walker brothers).

Agreed this is a bigger problem than player depth but I would expand it further and include a lack of administrator depth. Look at some of the clubs like my Tigers and the inept clowns they have had in the past running areas like recruitment and development

Perth Red

Post Whore
Agreed this is a bigger problem than player depth but I would expand it further and include a lack of administrator depth. Look at some of the clubs like my Tigers and the inept clowns they have had in the past running areas like recruitment and development

That's more culture than lack of good business managers tbh. Clubs appoint from within a small clique often and go for safe options rather than looking at what talent there is in the wider business world.

gUt

Coach
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-08/can-nrl-catch-attention-of-afl-focussed-wa/9525254

Does Perth need to be part of the NRL or does the NRL need Perth?

The idea of bringing a rugby league team back to Western Australia has been bandied around since the Western Reds were axed from the national competition in 1997.

The Reds initially joined the NRL in 1995 before defecting to the rival Super League, but were casualties of a peace deal between the warring competitions.

The Gold Coast Titans were the last team to be added in 2007, and NRL expansion has remained in a state of inertia ever since.

But things took a turn recently when former Queensland Premier and potential new Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter Beattie stated the importance of expansion if the league was to continue to prosper.

Does Perth care enough about the code?
Perth would be an obvious choice for that expansion.

It offers a different time zone which suits broadcasters, is a fresh market that doesn't cannibalise the existing supporter bases in New South Wales and Queensland, and perhaps most importantly it would grow the game outside of rugby league heartland.

But while it appears to be the perfect fit for the NRL, does Perth itself care enough to have a team permanently in the west?

Melbourne Storm skipper Cameron Smith believes so.

"I think the thirst for rugby league is healthy," Smith said.

"I have been involved in at least half a dozen games here in Western Australia [and] every time I have played in a game out here, we have had great crowds, great following, the community gets behind the match.

"I think it would only be a positive for our game to take it elsewhere other than Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria and New Zealand."

Smith and the Melbourne Storm are in WA for Saturday's round one double-header at the newly opened Perth Stadium alongside the Rabbitohs, Bulldogs and Warriors.

And next year, rugby league will return to Perth Stadium when the NRL brings its showpiece event — State of Origin — to town.

It is off the back of the NRL's commitment to have a presence in Perth, that has seen South Sydney play home games in WA over the past decade.

Force Super Rugby exit creates void
There are many groups who want to see a team based in Perth permanently, and while they would be unlikely to get financial assistance from the State Government, there is support for it to happen.

"I think there is room there with the void left there by some degree by the Western Force," West Australian Sport Minister Mick Murray said.

"The makeup of Western Australia is we already have a lot New Zealanders and people from New South Wales who certainly talk to me about it.

"Perth Oval is perfectly made for a rugby league team. The facilities are there. There is no big expenditure to expand that, so I think we are pretty well situated for a team to come."

Before the team was axed, the Western Reds averaged strong home attendances at the WACA Ground — and Perth has evolved significantly since then.

On-field success the key
But as Smith found out when he started at the Storm in 2002, it all comes down to success on the field.

"There wasn't a whole lot of knowledge around rugby league in Melbourne and Victoria," he said.

"Not many people knew about the Melbourne Storm or who played for them."

"But going on the success that we have had … all of the players that we have now get noticed when they walk down the street.

"If you go to a cafe and or a shopping centre people say 'G'day' to them."

beave

Coach
Its a f**king no brainer to have Perth back in. So many positives and very little negatives. Hopefully with a change in chairman we see some traction with expansion before the next tv deal.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't think Perth needs NRL, or that NRL needs Perth.

Does NRL WANT Perth is probably a more pertinent question. There's lots of plusses for the game to have a club here but it will also come with costs. Of the potential areas outside NSW and Qland it is by far the strongest option across a wide range of kpi's but there has to be an appetite to expand the NRL or it doesn't matter how primed for a club Perth is.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
I think the NRL absolutely needs Perth.

We need to expand the pool of players we're drawing from.

That's why Perth, PNG and the Pacific Islands need to be the focus for growth.

Another NSW or QLD team would just be thinning out the current stocks.

The Bears combining with the current West Coast Pirates bids is a no brainer.

Money, new talent pool and a walk up supporter base (Bears fans) means there's no downside to bringing them on board.

If the PNG government is willing to finance a team for tourism purposes, the same goes for them too. They could train out of Cairns (less than 2 hour flight from Port Moresby) if guys have issues with moving to PNG.

A South Pacific team based out of Auckland (owned by the Richard Fale bid) could draw from Fiji/Samoa/Tonga.

That's three financially viable options that wouldn't be drawing from the current player pool