What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL to finally publish TPA figures

siv

First Grade
My thoughts on 3pas

Why should NRL accept 3pa from X but refuse the same sort of 3pa from a owner or existing club sponsor

We all know of rorts going on, whether they be a 3pa or some other seemingly legal discounting manouver

At the end of the day its not coming from FC revenues. Which is the key requirement

Eg you shouldnt stop things like players getting movie cameos just because a club has a owner in contact with the movie industry

Life's Good

Coach
That big name Queenslander Jack Bird is apparently propped up by some TPAs

And an all you can eat KFC deal as well.

screenshot_20180214-190506-2-png.17559

AJB1102

First Grade
if he was playing for Newcastle he'd be lucky to get $2

Cam Smith would get good TPAs no matter who he played for. He's QLD/Aus captain and has a huge profile. He's valuable whoever he plays for, same as he'll be valuable when he retires and plays for no one.

Perth Red

Post Whore
All 3rd party TPA's have to be registered with NRL. They are also supposed to be totally independent of the club. How the NRl can monitor this is anyone's guess and I suggest they cant really. Whose to say that Oz CEO of powerade isn't best mates with the Storms CEO? You would only call suss if they had a 3 year deal that got cancelled if they moved clubs in year two.

Very hard thing to police and really if the latest figures released are to be believed it isn't making much difference on salary caps or teams ability to win GF's. For transparency, and to give fans something to moan about, it would be good to see an annual report of clubs real salary cap spending.

In many ways it is sad our stars are not more highly sought after in the marketing world. It is good for the game to have superstars and for them to be household names.

https://www.powerade.com.au/ambassadors/billy-slater

Last Week

Bench
The NRL could take control of all payments.
Have access to all bank accounts of all players.

They don’t like it ...then they can go do something else for a living.

Thats a bit extreme. And pointless as players could just have overseas accounts.

I would suggest that players must submit their tax returns to the NRL aswell.

If a player wants to not declare it, thats fine. They can take on the ATO.

Eion

First Grade
All 3rd party TPA's have to be registered with NRL. They are also supposed to be totally independent of the club. How the NRl can monitor this is anyone's guess and I suggest they cant really. Whose to say that Oz CEO of powerade isn't best mates with the Storms CEO? You would only call suss if they had a 3 year deal that got cancelled if they moved clubs in year two.

Powerade is the official Storm ‘hydration partner’.

Reactions: siv

El Diablo

Post Whore
Companies are going to want to associate with success.
that's not what you said before and i wouldn't say Penrith are successful yet they are in the top four TPA's

we saw what a farce TPA's are when Penrith tried to switch it from Moylan to Maloney

carcharias

Immortal
Thats a bit extreme. And pointless as players could just have overseas accounts.

I would suggest that players must submit their tax returns to the NRL aswell.

If a player wants to not declare it, thats fine. They can take on the ATO.
Extreme yes
But cheating the cap for 4 years with 2 books is extreme as well.
Now it’s called TPA’s

mxlegend99

Referee
that's not what you said before and i wouldn't say Penrith are successful yet they are in the top four TPA's

we saw what a farce TPA's are when Penrith tried to switch it from Moylan to Maloney
When Moylan and Carty extenddd. Panthers had just had a great run at the end of 2016 and people were expecting them to build on that in 2017.

Moylan and Carty were young flashy players. Coming off a good season expecting a great one. Guaranteed the TPAs arent near top 4 for 2018.

OldPanther

Coach

I seriously doubt we are in the top 4.

How is it not what I said? Successful players are worth more. That goes for clubs and I'm sure geography plays some part as well.

Barkley

Bench
Random question....Is a leagues club considered a 3rd Party? If so, that could explain why Panthers are allegedly in the top 4.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Random question....Is a leagues club considered a 3rd Party? If so, that could explain why Panthers are allegedly in the top 4.

My understanding is definitely not. Leagues club aren’t at arms length and most give funding in some degree to offset the losses.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors

Very hard thing to police and really if the latest figures released are to be believed it isn't making much difference on salary caps or teams ability to win GF's. For transparency, and to give fans something to moan about, it would be good to see an annual report of clubs real salary cap spending.

In many ways it is sad our stars are not more highly sought after in the marketing world. It is good for the game to have superstars and for them to be household names.

Agree, I said something similar before. The issue is there are only a few Nrl players that people know if they saw them on the street. Currently players aren’t allowed to market Nrl club colours, state colours or Aus colours. They have to be marketable without the main thing there good at and people recognize them for. Slater, smith, jt, thaiday all fit this category. So it shouldn’t be a surprise at all. If they change the tpa to include any company, players could use Nrl aligned marketing for there clubs,state or country but with a cap and the nrl charges a Intellectual property fee I think it goes a long way to fixing the issue.

RazorRam0n

Juniors

moylan's keno deal was 200k alone, the one they tried transferring to maloney unsuccesfully. the keno relationship and others no doubt comes from links to vlandys and others.

Knight76

Juniors
Just start banning players who are caught up in salary cap scandals. That will soon have players thinking twice about under the table deals.

None of this BS about not knowing how much they are getting paid and where from, that they just leave that stuff up to their manager. What a crock, any player looking at their options at contract time is going to know exactly what each club is offering.

Reactions: siv

Headless Chook

Juniors
Another random question if I may. Can a player enter into a 3rd party agreement with the feeder club their NRL club is affiliated with? Say for example, a business sponsor of Newtown paying 200k to a Sharks player to be the face of their business.