What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARLC Commission Changes

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.afr.com/business/sport/p...tter-with-corporate-australia-20180215-h0w6pp

Peter Beattie: rugby league will do better with corporate Australia

by John Stensholt

It wouldn't be rugby league without an off-field stoush to match the robust physical nature of the sport on the field.

The Australian Rugby League Commission, the body that administers the sport and oversees the hugely successful State of Origin series and the National Rugby League, will on Wednesday hold its annual general meeting. Among the agenda items is a vote on constitutional tweaks that will significantly change the number and identity of commissioners.

Or, being rugby league, it may not.

The sport attempted to follow the path of the AFL six years ago after News Limited and the then Australian Rugby League agreed to give up their joint ownership of the code in Australia, establishing an independent commission to run the game.

Since then the sport has signed record broadcast deals and it has more money than ever before. But it has also featured big and at times ugly battles with the clubs over money. Then late last year it struck an agreement – which would end the element of complete independence – for two NRL club-nominated directors to join the commission and in addition a representative each from the Queensland and NSW state bodies. Or so many thought.

That would give the 10-person board six independent directors, two from clubs and one each from NSW and Queensland.

Which brings us to Wednesday's meeting.

'We can improve by truly making them partners in the game'

The mooted changes may not happen after all: a group of clubs are opposed to the state-based seats, because it would give the states too much power, at the expense of the clubs. It only takes two clubs to block the process, which would send everything back to square one and at least for now stop the ascent of the two club nominees, Racing NSW chief executive Peter V'landys and Sydney lawyer Glen Selikowitz, to the commission.

But Peter Beattie, who is slated to replace John Grant, the former Data3 chief executive and Australian international, as ARLC chairman, insists rugby league can emerge from yet another off-field stoush.

The key is the commission's relationship with the clubs, which once went close to getting Grant removed. Beattie believes he can do a better job of forging a closer relationship between the clubs and head office.

"We can improve by truly making them partners in the game," he tells The Australian Financial Review. " That work has already begun but we can't be at war with our closest stakeholder like we have been in the past. That was disastrous for the image of the game, so I am determined to work with them from day one. I don't have any baggage and for now I've got all their goodwill. I'm determined to keep it."

Beattie says he's been in constant communication with the chairs of all 16 NRL clubs and intends to do plenty of travelling this year. Most well-known for his nine-year stint as Queensland Premier until 2007, Beattie and his wife have moved to Sydney and their grandchildren live in Melbourne. He is chairman of the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games.

Yet in comments published in the Sydney Morning Herald on the weekend, outgoing chair Grant said the commission lacked understanding of how rugby league worked. When asked to describe the inner machinations of the sport, he said: "The battle for money and power; hating, not trusting; club first, game second; winning at all costs; unholy alliances based on favours and self-interest; and manipulating the media."

Cashing in on corporate potential

So is Beattie walking into a full-blown constitutional crisis that may even overshadow the beginning of the NRL season in early March?

"Not necessarily. If they need to take some more time to sort things out that is fine. There's not animosity there and I'm pretty confident the game can go forward in the right manner. There are [other] options on the table."

In rugby league nothing off the field is easy. The game lags behind the AFL in the hearts of minds of many Australians, and in particular those in the corporate sector. The NRL's non-commercial revenue was $147 million in 2017, far below that of the AFL.

Beattie says the sport will do a better job connecting with corporates from the top of the game to the bottom, and bringing in more money. "Our game is the top rating show on television year in, year out. We should be able to lock in more sponsors, including top 40 companies.

"I have made it clear that I don't want deficits in the years ahead. At the very worst I want to break even after distributions. We will only do that if we find more revenue streams."

That mentality has already led to the signing of a lucrative deal to take a State of Origin match to Adelaide in 2020, after Melbourne this year and Perth next. The NRL could also also add more clubs in the future, maybe in Perth and another in Brisbane. "We will expand," says Beattie firmly.

First comes solving the constitutional issues and the relationship with clubs. Beattie will need all his political skills to get that sorted before acting on his vision for the game's future.

insert.pause

First Grade
the biggest issue is the NSWRL, because it's not an independent body, it's controlled by NSW clubs. Tally that up with them having unfettered powers on the commission and clubs could essentially veto anything they don't like through the NSWRL. You only have to look at the way the NSWRL has been used as a political puppet against the NRL over the last 5 years to know what a commission with them on it, with additional powers, would look like.

What really is startling is that there are clubs who know that it wouldn't work effectively but are willing to vote along with it "because it's better than no change". Except, once the states are there, there's no way they will agree to unwind their power later, and because they have a veto over constitutional reform, they can't be made to, EVER!

If they want to be on the commission they should have the same rights as every other commissioner, but the states won't accept that, and thanks to the veto they never have to.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Didn't they want no agreements on anything if they couldn't make the meeting? lol they don't even need to veto stuff, just stay at home and jobs done.

On the positive side welcome to the ARLC chair role Mr Beattie! He's come in making all the right noises.
Expansion
Jnr and grass roots growth
Women's involvement

Hopefully he gets a commission and a set of clubs who back him!

Former Queensland premier Peter Beattie has been voted in to be the new ARL Commission chairman, replacing John Grant.
NRL CEO Todd Greenberg and Beattie fronted the media to outline their plan to resolve the impasse.
Beattie spoke about the priorities for the new-look commission moving forward, which were headlined by game expansion, a greater role for women and greater focus on grass roots.
"Of course the game needs to expand," Beattie said.
"We're in a very competitive environment for entertainment… You've got to be flexible and you've got to have a strategy.
"I want to see us have a national footprint. We want to maintain our existing footprint but we also want to build on it."

Stallion

First Grade
Beattie's aims are good ones for the code! About time! For the past decade we have seen waffle! I can see an 18 team NRL in five years or so.

insert.pause

First Grade
Beattie's aims are good ones for the code! About time! For the past decade we have seen waffle! I can see an 18 team NRL in five years or so.
It can't be until new tv deal kicks in, and only if that deal is greater, the game can't afford it before then.

People thought Grant was too hands on & always looking for the spotlight, they ain't seen nothin yet! Beattie thinks he's Premier again, I will bet we will hear more from him than we will Greenberg.

Stallion

First Grade
It can't be until new tv deal kicks in, and only if that deal is greater, the game can't afford it before then.

People thought Grant was too hands on & always looking for the spotlight, they ain't seen nothin yet! Beattie thinks he's Premier again, I will bet we will hear more from him than we will Greenberg.

In saying that: We got waffle from Greenberg and at least decent aims from Beattie! Im more positive now than I was prior to Beattie that's for sure. And please note 5 years time is at the new tv agreement stage timeframe. So it's not far flung idealism at all! It's actually revisiting long overdue reach of the code at top flight level again!

Diesel

Coach
I can see it being a 17-team competition within 3, and 18-team by the end of this tv deal.

Pirates and Brisbane 2 (excluding the Bombers), start getting ready

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...m/news-story/a0796fadccbe51e38f3c48aa510a918d

John Grant’s departs rugby league with a whimper - and the game won’t miss him

DAVID RICCIO, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago

NOBODY clapped. Not a single person thanked him. Most club bosses couldn’t even look him in the eye.

Farewell John Grant? Fairly embarrassing more like it.

Inside The Dally Messenger Room on Wednesday, on the ground floor of Moore Park’s League Central, Grant stood and offered his final words as chairman of the NRL.

Rocking back in their seats with absolutely intended disrespect, 14 of the 16 club chairs which were present pretended to listen as a sheepish Grant stood for his sign-off.

It was only because he was speaking so softly that those in the room were forced to lean forward in their seats. The mood was completely uncomfortable for everyone.

However, Grant couldn’t help himself.

There was a final jab, even if, so subtle.

“Hopefully in the future, the game will be void of political agendas,’’ Grant whispered. “And so now I’ll stand down as chairman.’’

And that was it.

Some chairs fiddled with their pens or mobile phones, others simply looked down at their feet.

For six years, Grant led an ARL commission that began with promise and ends in disarray.

From a record $1.2 billion broadcast deal, the game hasn’t a single asset.

The numbers the game does have are for a bank — which the Commission needed for a $30 million loan to ease its cash flow problems.

Even on his final day, Grant couldn’t bring unity to the game.

It says everything.

This was a leader who appeared more interested in presenting trophies on grand final day.

He welcomed the spotlight, even though there were others more deserved or at least capable of announcing something so simple, as the Australian Test team.

Manly and Cronulla lost all respect for Grant the day he called them Seagulls and Hawks.

Before Grant’s sign-off, a vote for constitutional reform was blocked by the Bulldogs, Titans and Storm.

To most fans, this all means nothing when it comes to determining the 2018 top eight.

Put simply, this was a chance for unity and a joint-vision of financial strength, a collective pursuit for increased participation, interest and return across the entire code.

It was a chance for every stakeholder, including your favourite club, to have a say on how the greatest game of all cannot only survive, but thrive.

New ARL chairman Peter Beattie is on record with his intent for inclusiveness — and not just on the field.

Beattie will open the front door of the NRL to all. He told colleague Phil Rothfield that bank records will be made available every three months for proper scrutiny.

The game has had too many secrets for too long.

The three clubs which voted against reform have their own reasons for blocking it.

However, no sooner had Grant exited League Central and straight out to a lunch with selected commissioners, that talk of hope and confidence had begun.

On March 12, when the clubs reconvene for a final an AGM and last chance to vote for reform, Beattie’s chairmanship of the game will be underway.

It’s then that many believe he’ll be able to convince at least two of three clubs to change their minds, striking a peace deal which the game has never experienced before.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...2/news-story/0f12fddcf48d6fdebcf60143d851a89c

NRL clubs fail to agree on new-look constitution as vote postponed until March 12

Michael Carayannis, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago

PETER Beattie will need to call upon every bit of his political nous after the game’s worst fears were realised on Wednesday when the clubs were unable to agree on constitutional reform.

On the same day Beattie was sworn in as the game’s new chair — replacing John Grant — three of the 16 clubs would not commit to a reworked constitution with a vote now delayed, leaving Beattie and NRL boss Todd Greenberg to clean up the mess.

The former Queensland Premier’s first task as chairman will be to convince at least two of the three dissenting club’s — Canterbury, Melbourne and Gold Coast — to vote in favour of constitutional reform when the 16 clubs come together against on March 12.

Clubs met for about an hour and a half before Wednesday’s AGM where it became clear that they would not have the 15 clubs needed for the motion to be carried. As a result the club’s opted against voting and extend the consultation period.

“What the clubs have requested me to do in partnership with Todd is also the same request from NSW and Queensland Rugby Leagues — they have asked me to talk to three clubs who still have some matters they want to discuss in terms of the rule changes,” Beattie said. “I have agreed to do that.

“I will be meeting with the Titans, the Bulldogs and Melbourne. Todd and I will be attending meetings with all the directors and the boards to explain exactly how the rules would work and to answer any of their concerns.

“There was a lot of goodwill in the room. It’s not going to be easy, it is an important step. I am very happy we’re not rushing it to be honest.

“Obvious the state’s power of veto (some club’s have concerns over). The real issue is just how the new constitution would work.”

South Sydney chairman Nick Pappas, who has led the charge for constitutional reform, said he was still hopeful changes will take place.

“Hopefully we get it right on the 12th,” Pappas said.

The Commission will run the game with just six representatives until the club chair’s meet again after Grant and Cathy Harris stood down on Wednesday. The uncertainty has delayed BSW chief executive Peter V’landys and Sydney lawyer Glen Selikowitz plus Queensland Rugby League chair Bruce Hatcher and his NSW counterpart George Peponis from joining the commission.

“ If you have goodwill, you can make any constitution work,” Beattie said. “We have goodwill.

“Todd and I have maintained contact with (V’landys and Selikowitz) to let them know the progress here. We will continue to talk to them. If the constitutional changes as proposed get up on March 12 they are going to be on the commission. We want everyone to be part of this. As far as I am concerned the days of the commission being at loggerheads with the clubs are over. That doesn’t mean we are going to have a love-in. Of course, from time to time there will be differences. But it is about respecting one another and working together. They are in the tent.”

New Canterbury chair Lynne Anderson said her board needed more time to considering the change after recently sweeping to power

“I went in there wanting to learn more and I certainly did,” Anderson said. “When it was obvious an adjournment would be an option we ran with that.”

Storm chairman Bart Campbell proposed in the pre-AGM meeting to lift the number of independent chairs from six to eight.

Despite the uncertainty, V’landys has reaffirmed his commitment to join commission.

“The clubs have shown strong support for my appointment,” V’landys said. “If that support continues I’d be more than happy to join the commission.”

“”Peter Beattie has kept me informed on the entire situation with the commission.

“I’m very appreciative of the transparency and courtesy he has shown throughout this process.

“Peter is only very early into his tenure but he has already displayed great leadership.”

insert.pause

First Grade
Why the f**k would Beattie show Rothfield the games financial information every three months? The fat f**k probably can't even count to potato. The clubs have a right to know, the states have a right to know, and they will, in commission meetings from their representatives. For everyone else we will find out annually in the AR. It's not "the games secrets", it's just none of News corps business, something that after five years they still can't comprehend.

I heard Beattie has also promised pressers after every commission meeting.

Diesel

Coach
Grant won’t be missed. The past 6 years started with promise and haven’t lived up to the hype.
Beattie’s enthusiasm and expansion comments are interesting. Hopefully this is an improved reset for the ARLC & NRL

El Diablo

Post Whore
Grant won’t be missed. The past 6 years started with promise and haven’t lived up to the hype.
Beattie’s enthusiasm and expansion comments are interesting. Hopefully this is an improved reset for the ARLC & NRL
Grant was a dud

he'd had no involvement or any interest in the game since the 70's and it showed

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
this poor idiot has no idea why he's laughing

he just knows the Storm voted no so figures it must be funny

Glad you asked..... I thinks it hilarious that the clubs have portrayed the commission over the past couple years as inept yet the clubs themselves can’t decide on constitutional reform after close to a year of putting it together. Childish, selfish, agenda driven clubland at it again.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...m/news-story/a0796fadccbe51e38f3c48aa510a918d

John Grant’s departs rugby league with a whimper - and the game won’t miss him

DAVID RICCIO, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago

NOBODY clapped. Not a single person thanked him. Most club bosses couldn’t even look him in the eye.

Farewell John Grant? Fairly embarrassing more like it.

Inside The Dally Messenger Room on Wednesday, on the ground floor of Moore Park’s League Central, Grant stood and offered his final words as chairman of the NRL.

Rocking back in their seats with absolutely intended disrespect, 14 of the 16 club chairs which were present pretended to listen as a sheepish Grant stood for his sign-off.

It was only because he was speaking so softly that those in the room were forced to lean forward in their seats. The mood was completely uncomfortable for everyone.

However, Grant couldn’t help himself.

There was a final jab, even if, so subtle.

“Hopefully in the future, the game will be void of political agendas,’’ Grant whispered. “And so now I’ll stand down as chairman.’’

And that was it.

Some chairs fiddled with their pens or mobile phones, others simply looked down at their feet.

For six years, Grant led an ARL commission that began with promise and ends in disarray.

From a record $1.2 billion broadcast deal, the game hasn’t a single asset.

The numbers the game does have are for a bank — which the Commission needed for a $30 million loan to ease its cash flow problems.

Even on his final day, Grant couldn’t bring unity to the game.

It says everything.

This was a leader who appeared more interested in presenting trophies on grand final day.

He welcomed the spotlight, even though there were others more deserved or at least capable of announcing something so simple, as the Australian Test team.

Manly and Cronulla lost all respect for Grant the day he called them Seagulls and Hawks.

Before Grant’s sign-off, a vote for constitutional reform was blocked by the Bulldogs, Titans and Storm.

To most fans, this all means nothing when it comes to determining the 2018 top eight.

Put simply, this was a chance for unity and a joint-vision of financial strength, a collective pursuit for increased participation, interest and return across the entire code.

It was a chance for every stakeholder, including your favourite club, to have a say on how the greatest game of all cannot only survive, but thrive.

New ARL chairman Peter Beattie is on record with his intent for inclusiveness — and not just on the field.

Beattie will open the front door of the NRL to all. He told colleague Phil Rothfield that bank records will be made available every three months for proper scrutiny.

The game has had too many secrets for too long.

The three clubs which voted against reform have their own reasons for blocking it.

However, no sooner had Grant exited League Central and straight out to a lunch with selected commissioners, that talk of hope and confidence had begun.

On March 12, when the clubs reconvene for a final an AGM and last chance to vote for reform, Beattie’s chairmanship of the game will be underway.

It’s then that many believe he’ll be able to convince at least two of three clubs to change their minds, striking a peace deal which the game has never experienced before.

I guess Riccio didn’t get an invite to his $30k party yesterday? He seems a bit butthurt. Grant was probably still hungover after champagne, strippers and coke