What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Offseason thread

beave

Coach
Bucs released Doug Martin and Chris Baker this morning.

Martin has been on 3 year cycle of 1 good year, 2 shithouse. Last straw was the Falcons game in Tampa last year where he reported late for a team meeting and was made to sit out the game.

Baker is a fat piece of shit. 0.5 sacks for the whole year, get out of my beloved team you piece of shit.

I’d say TJ Ward will be let go as well. Good to see we are cleaning house.

nick87

Coach
Going to be interesting to see how the eagles approach the off season
right now they are about 10mil OVER the cap, but the following moves are possibilities,,,

- Brent Celek retires: 5mil savings
- Cut Torrey Smith: 5mil savings
- Restructure Jason Peters: 2mil savings
- Restructure Fletcher Cox: 8.5mil savings
- Restructure Zach Ertz
- Restructure Lane Johnson
- Designate Vinny Curry as a post June 1 cut: 9mil savings
- Trade Nick Foles: 5.2 mil savings
- Cut/Trade Mycheal Kendricks: 4.4 mil savings
- Extend Jason Kelce, bring his cap number down

Whatever happens, the #1 thought in all these moves will be to make sure the Eagles have the cap space to get the Wentz deal done in 18 months time. It's a tricky situation

Dogs Of War

Coach
Key Dates

February 20: First day for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.

February 27-March 5: NFL Scouting Combine, Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, Ind.

March 6: Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.

March 12-14: Clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with, the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2017 player contracts at 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 14. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 14.

March 14: Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must exercise options for 2018 on all players who have option clauses in their 2017 contracts.

March 14: Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must submit qualifying offers to their Restricted Free Agents with expiring contracts to retain a Right of First Refusal/Compensation.

March 14: Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must submit a minimum salary tender to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with expiring 2017 contracts who have fewer than three accrued seasons of free agency credit.

March 14: Top 51 begins. All clubs must be under the 2018 salary cap prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time.

March 14: All 2017 player contracts will expire at 4:00 p.m., New York time.

March 14: The 2018 league year and free agency period begin at 4:00 p.m., New York time.

The first day of the 2018 league year will end at 11:59:59 p.m., New York time, on March 14. Clubs will receive a personnel notice that will include all transactions submitted to the league office during the period between 4:00 p.m., New York time, and 11:59:59 p.m., New York time, on March 14.

March 14: Trading period for 2018 begins at 4:00 p.m., New York time, after expiration of all 2017 contracts.

March 25-28: Annual League Meeting, Orlando, Fla.

April 16: Clubs with returning head coaches may begin offseason workout programs.

April 20: Deadline for Restricted Free Agents to sign offer sheets.

April 26-28: 2018 NFL Draft, AT&T Stadium, Arlington, Texas.

May 4-7: Clubs may elect to hold their one three-day post-Draft rookie minicamp from Friday through Sunday or Saturday through Monday.

May 8: Deadline for prior club to send “May 8 Tender” to its unsigned Unrestricted Free Agents. If the player has not signed a player contract with a club by July 23 or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later, he may negotiate or sign a player contract from that date until the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, at 4:00 p.m., New York time, only with his prior club.

May 11-14: Clubs may elect to hold their one three-day post-Draft rookie minicamp from Friday through Sunday or Saturday through Monday.

May 14: Rookie Football Development Programs begin.

June 1: Deadline for prior club to send “June 1 Tender” to its unsigned Restricted Free Agents who received a qualifying offer for a right of first refusal only in order for such player to be subject to the CBA’s “June 15 Tender” provision.

June 2: For any player removed from the club’s roster or whose contract is assigned via waivers or trade on or after June 2, any unamortized signing bonus amounts for future years will be included fully in team salary at the start of the 2019 League Year.

June 15: Deadline for club to withdraw qualifying offer to Restricted Free Agents and still retain exclusive negotiating rights by substituting “June 15 Tender” of one-year contract at 110 percent of the player’s prior-year Paragraph 5 Salary (with all other terms of his prior-year contract carried forward unchanged).

July 16: At 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for any club that designated a Franchise Player to sign such player to a multiyear contract or extension. After this date, the player may sign only a one-year contract with his prior club for the 2018 season, and such contract cannot be extended until after the club’s last regular season game.

Zigwaa

Bench
Jarvis Landry franchise tagged, arguably the best free agent WR now off the market.

nick87

Coach
This is a good year for Philly to be working in house to get the cap situation sorted, it's an awful FA pool

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I don't think the FA pool is stellar but it's not horrible.

There's a lot of value for teams who are smart with their cap as quite a few guys won't command massive money but have shown enough to suggest that if they get a good fit they could go to another level.

The interesting thing is that QB, WR, and CB probably have the deepest FA pool, but those positions are also well represented in the draft.

Guys like Norwell, Jensen and Ansah if he makes it to FA will get paid big because there's nobody else close to them in FA talent wise.

Vozzy

Juniors
Should be a crazy off-season. So many teams need new qb and a lot of teams have new coaches. Also teams like patriots chargers giants Steelers and Saints all have veteran qb who are all nearly 40 years old if not already. These teams need to look to the future a bit aswell in saying that a lot of them still had a good year.

I can see Philly being successful for awhile. Teams who have a settled coaching staff and qb I think will do well next year cos with so many teams needing a qb or running back in the draft other teams can plug weakness in the defensive unit/o line with some great talent dropping late in the draft to teams not needing a qb.

DC_fan

Coach
Should be a crazy off-season. So many teams need new qb and a lot of teams have new coaches. Also teams like patriots chargers giants Steelers and Saints all have veteran qb who are all nearly 40 years old if not already. These teams need to look to the future a bit aswell in saying that a lot of them still had a good year.

I can see Philly being successful for awhile. Teams who have a settled coaching staff and qb I think will do well next year cos with so many teams needing a qb or running back in the draft other teams can plug weakness in the defensive unit/o line with some great talent dropping late in the draft to teams not needing a qb.

Sounds like Dallas

nick87

Coach
i think when Vozzy talked about a "settled coaching staff and qb" he probably implied those guys are actually good as well as being set in place

Dallas are more like the Bengals than they are Philly. Dak and Garrett is a good comp for Dalton and Marv

Zigwaa

Bench
Where does Cousins end up?

I'd like to see him go to Cleveland and they take Saquon Barkley in the draft, but it's highly unlikely.

He'll most likely end up at the Jags or Vikes.

Where does Cousins end up?

I'd like to see him go to Cleveland and they take Saquon Barkley in the draft, but it's highly unlikely.

He'll most likely end up at the Jags or Vikes.

I wouldn't rule out the New York Jets. Plenty of media speculation in the US saying they are interested in signing him.

Zigwaa

Bench
I wouldn't rule out the New York Jets. Plenty of media speculation in the US saying they are interested in signing him.
He's going to get mega bucks no matter where he signs, so I reckon he'll go to the franchise with the best chance of making the Super Bowl, and that's Jags or Vikes.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
I’d love to see the Browns get.

QB. Sam Bradford
DE. DeMarcus Lawrence
CB. Breeland

DRAFT.
Trade #1 to the Jets because they fall in love with a QB so much, Get the 6th and 37th, and 2018 1st.

Picks.

4th. Saquon Barkley RB
6th. Minkah Fitzpatrick/Derwin James CB/S

33rd. Kolton Miller OT
37th. Leighton Vander Esch LB
64th. Jaire Alexander CB
65th. Kyle Lauletta QB

Zigwaa

Bench
Picks.

4th. Saquon Barkley RB
6th. Minkah Fitzpatrick/Derwin James CB/S

33rd. Kolton Miller OT
37th. Leighton Vander Esch LB
64th. Jaire Alexander CB
65th. Kyle Lauletta QB

Colts will definitely pick Barkley at 3 if he doesn't go at 1 or 2.