What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A glimmer of hope?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Masters pouring cold water on Beattie’s comments, didn’t take long for the sydney media to come up with negativity!

If former Queensland premier Peter Beattie wishes to woo Sydney clubs to support him as the incoming chairman of the Australian Rugby League Commission, he ignored local politics when he recently talked up expansion.

Fifteen of the NRL's 16 clubs posted a loss last year, if grants from the 10 clubs with licensed club backing and others reliant on benefactors are excluded from total revenue. Seven of the clubs depending on poker machine income are in Sydney, where teams would presumably be culled if expansion is to occur. Sydney clubs, except Wests Tigers, are now demonstrating a rare unity, opting to vote as a bloc at a recent phone hook-up to appoint two club delegates to a new 10-person ARLC.

Based on the hostility expressed by some Sydney club powerbrokers to Beattie's "if we stagnate, we die" cry in a recent interview, he will need to reinforce the message that expansion will only occur well after the current broadcasting deal expires.

Given the precarious balance sheets of the free-to-air TV networks and the monopoly position of Foxtel as a pay-TV provider, the next broadcasting deal for the NRL won't be an 80 per cent increase of the 2018-2022 contract.

The last time the game expanded – three clubs were introduced in 1995 – it fuelled inflation in salaries, with retired players unretiring to receive the largest pay cheques they had ever been paid.

Expansion ignited the Super League war, which further fuelled inflation, leading to the closure of the Adelaide Rams, Hunter Mariners and South Queensland Crushers, while Perth now field junior teams in the NSWRL competition and North Sydney play in the NSW Cup. Another four clubs collapsed to form two joint ventures.

While some commentators argue there are enough first-graders in the NRL to field another two teams, I believe up to three of the starting players at some clubs are short of the desired standard.

Perth has a new stadium, adds an additional time zone for broadcasters and could capture disenfranchised rugby union fans. But it does not have a State Cup team.

While Beattie is right to send a signal to State Cup teams that they are candidates for inclusion in the NRL, they will have to wait until a Sydney club falls over well into the 2023-27 broadcast cycle before they can win a start.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...p-rugby-league-expansion-20180201-h0ryjc.html

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Great that Beattie is talking expansion... but no non NRL team is going to be able to "step up"

What actual team has the resources bankroll a team for 20 years in what is now a very expensive competition to be in ?

The NRL need to grow some balls , and identify the 2/4/6 or 8 areas they want to be in, in 2050.. and start funding the the teams..

They are going to have to pour $50-$100 m into any expansion team...

A business like Mounties could probably step up and actually afford to fund an NRL team... but does the nrl need a team in western sydney ??

jim_57

Staff member
https://m.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/expand-or-die-warns-new-league-boss/3341949/

Expand or die, warns new league boss

21st Feb 2018 6:33 PM

NEW Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter Beattie has a simple message for the NRL: expand or die.

Beattie wasted little time putting expansion back on the table on his first day on the job on Wednesday after replacing outgoing chair John Grant at the ARLC AGM.

Crucial to his vision will be establishing a national footprint, with the NRL to seriously consider entering new territories for the first time since the end of the Super League war.

"The vision of the game is really simple; we have to expand,” Beattie said.

"We are in a very competitive environment for entertainment. You've got to be flexible and have a strategy.

"When you've got that level of competition you need to do that. The game needs to expand or it will die.”

The NRL hasn't added any teams to the competition since they brought the Gold Coast back in 2007, while the last real influx of new regions was between 1995 and 1998, namely Perth, Melbourne, Auckland and Adelaide.

Critically, Beattie insists no current teams will face relocation as part of his vision.

Models unveil the team logo for the proposed Brisbane Bombers NRL team. LUCAS WROE
The news will come as a massive boost to Perth, Brisbane Bombers, Ipswich and numerous Pacific Island bids.

Beattie expects potential franchises will initially enter junior leagues and second-tier state cups, as Papua New Guinea already have in Queensland.

Western Australia NRL boss John Sackson revealed last month he had held discussions with the game's governing body about entering a team in the NRL under-20s in the coming years, with a reserve-grade outfit to follow.

Any new teams would then have the potential to enter the top-tier NRL from when the current broadcast deal ends in 2022.

"People have got the opportunity (to demonstrate) they've got the competence, the skills, the organisation ...This is a long-term objective,” Beattie said.

Peter Beattie (right) with NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg. BRENDAN ESPOSITO
"If we signal to people there is a possibility of doing this as part of our vision they can prepare themselves; they can get ready.”

Meanwhile NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg insisted the 16 existing clubs wouldn't be hurt by expansion.

"Existing clubs will look to generate more value. By bringing teams in and making the game bigger and larger and more prosperous means value grows for everyone,” Greenberg said.

"Behind the scenes over the past six months we have been getting ourselves ready to have a new strategy for the game.

"(Part of that) will be about growing the footprint to ensure we can genuinely assess where expansion may go in the future.”

jim_57

Staff member
So,interesting to see Beattie is going with the "proving themselves" in NSW/QLD Cup Approach. We have already seen Perth make a statement of intent, it will be interesting to see if any of the other major bids follow.

In the case of Brisbane 2, some are based off existing clubs so that link already exists. Bombers could just "link" with existing clubs as I don't think another Brisbane club in QLD is necessary.

NZ 2 would be an interesting one. If a bid could show they mean bussiness by getting a NSW Cup team sorted that'd be seriously impressive. Wellington/Christchurch/Auckland 2.

Adelaide not likely to be able to get a side in NSW Cup before 2022.. but Bears could be a good fit and solve that problem short term IMO if they were willing to swallow their pride and admit defeat on Central Coast.

PNG & Fiji should be very happy with 2nd tier sides for now. A random 'Toronto Wolfpack' type bid from out of nowhere could make things even more interesting, would have to be airtight to evwn be looked at by the NRL though.

Right now Perth & Brisbane 2 are unbackable favorites. If a serious NZ 2 bid was to come to the party though it makes things very hard, Adelaide a smokey. Announce all 4 at once too bold? It did happen in 1995, so hard to believe now.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Great that Beattie is talking expansion... but no non NRL team is going to be able to "step up"

What actual team has the resources bankroll a team for 20 years in what is now a very expensive competition to be in ?

The NRL need to grow some balls , and identify the 2/4/6 or 8 areas they want to be in, in 2050.. and start funding the the teams..

They are going to have to pour $50-$100 m into any expansion team...

A business like Mounties could probably step up and actually afford to fund an NRL team... but does the nrl need a team in western sydney ??
2050 whats the point we be dead.

What I'd like to see is a pacific nrl comp maybe say 8 teams..
Each team affiliated with 1 nrl club (like a of shore feeder club)

3 teams from NZ, 1 team Fiji, 1 teams PNG, 1 team from Samoa and 1 team from Tonga and 1 team from Cook Islands.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is the most positive and direct talk of expansion since it was first rumoured ten years ago.
Now lets see them deliver on it!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
And here we go........

Matty Johns warns against the damage that expansion could have on NRL player depth

MATTY Johns has slammed “frivolous” talk of expansion in the NRL and outlined his vision, including a radical move that would see the inclusion of a Pacific Islands team.

The ink is only just dry on the confirmation of Peter Beattie’s ascension to the chairmanship of the ARL Commission but Johns has already expressed his concern at the former Queensland premier’s talk of expansion two weeks out from the start of the 2018 NRL season.

Speaking on Triple M’s The Grill Team on Thursday morning, Johns said that the NRL risks weakening its status just as it builds to a position of strength.

The Knights legend believes any new teams must be based where an existing rugby league footprint already exists.

“I don’t want to sound conservative but the talk of expansion… frivolous talk of expansion really worries me,” said Johns, host of Sunday Night with Matty Johns on Fox League.

“I’m an advocate of expanding the competition but we’ve got to be really careful where we pick to add to the competition.

“This could be the best year possibly in 20-30 years because for the first time for a long time we’re seeing that most clubs — not all clubs — but most clubs having depth in player talent.

“If you expand to markets that have little or no junior base it drains and weakens the other clubs so it weakens the competition.

Take a very good player out of your side, take out a very good honest player, and take out a very good up and coming player.

“Take them out, because that’s what it does.

“I don’t know whether in the next couple of years we’ll be ready for that because I think at the moment we’re really just starting to bolster our stocks.”

If the NRL was to add new teams anytime soon Johns is an advocate for a second team in Brisbane and wants administrators to investigate the long-term viability of a team based out of a Pacific nation such as Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Samoa or Tonga.
“If we were to set up a team tomorrow in Adelaide for instance, think about your team and think about every team in the competition.

“If you were to expand tomorrow and make a decision you must expand to markets that have a huge talent base,” said Johns.

“Western Brisbane is an absolute must, you’ve got to have another side to take on the Broncos in that area.

“It’s got the player talent and the talent base to be able to supply a team there.

“The other one would be a Pacific Islands team.

“That’s a long-term one but for me it’s a no-brainer because you’ve got huge oil companies there that will fund it and you’ve got a mass of talent there in the Pacific Islands.

“It’s a huge emerging market and for me it makes sense and would be tremendous for the competition.

“I’d love to see rugby league in Perth again but we must do it right in how we set it up and we must get the timing right.”

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...h/news-story/c1f63c98f6ade00c6924789e511af0ca

Diesel

Referee
Matty Johns is just his normal dickhead self. It’s people like him that are holding expansion back, for whatever reason, and I don’t think it’s due to player depth. The NRL just increased squads without there being a depth issue.

The more clubs, the more opportunities it gives to more players

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The player depth thing is a joke ...

Put 28 qcup players in a pro system with pro coaches .. pro gyms.. pro sports science and $300k a year each ..

Guess what they will get f**king better

Yep - the best NSW / QLD Cup players will be more than capable with a sprinkling of NRL experience in the team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Broncos CEO:
New ARLC chairman Peter Beattie is set to champion expansion of the game and White said he had questioned the Commission on its expansion strategy.

He said it was vital that if there was to be an expansion strategy the game needed to "back it up with some firm numbers around how we are going to get there".

"I don't want to see good rugby league people spending money on bids that aren't going to see that light of day," he said.

"That has happened in the past and I don't want to see it happen in the future.

"What I would like to see from the Commission or the NRL is whether it is geographical expansion or numerical expansion.

"I think everyone knows that 16 clubs is the most teams we can sustain in the competition. If it is about relocation, that is not a matter for me. It is a matter for the Commission.

"I'm here at the Broncos working hard and if another team comes to Brisbane one day then we'll get a local derby."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/23...-on-bennetts-future-matt-lodge-and-expansion/

Cumberland Throw

First Grade

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
I think in a perfect world relocation probably would be better but I can't see it happening.

As for the Bears I think it depends on how strongly the fans in WA care about using the Bears brand or if they want there own. You can't alienate a new clubs fan base by giving them a name and colours they ren't happy with

Perth Red

Post Whore
If bears are happy to link up with any expansion team.. and throw in $5-6m from the leagues club and old norths members .. for 1 game at NSO a year .

I can see the nrl taking up the offer

If perth is going to burn $15 odd million a year ..as the pirates.. surely it's worth It to just call them bears and let them wear black and red

How will perth burn $15mill? With a $13mill grant and combined $15mill salary and football cap I see no reason perth can’t be sustainable without extra funding, as long as they get sponsorship support which shouldnt be a problem. in Puddy and Cumins we have two multi millionaires who are passsionate about rugby league in the West. Get them signed up and we are sweet.

As for bears, as said in other thread they are ambulance chasers and have zero interest in RL in WA. Fans here will see them for what they are.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
How will perth burn $15mill? With a $13mill grant and combined $15mill salary and football cap I see no reason perth can’t be sustainable without extra funding, as long as they get sponsorship support which shouldnt be a problem. in Puddy and Cumins we have two multi millionaires who are passsionate about rugby league in the West. Get them signed up and we are sweet.

As for bears, as said in other thread they are ambulance chasers and have zero interest in RL in WA. Fans here will see them for what they are.

Well melbourne Storm has cost over $100m= , to put a team in an expansion area..

And look at gws and GC suns... burning $15m a year each easy

If North Sydney can alleviate this cost to the tune of $4-5m... why would you call it Pirates.. ?

Jankuloski

Juniors
Why can the competition sustain a maximum of 16 clubs?

I don’t know of this? Is anyone else left out of this “everbody”?