What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty re-signs until end of 2019

Old Timer

Coach
I'm not sure why people are already talking about Duftys replacement at fullback in Lomax.
Surely the best outcome is that they both make the step up and Dufty plays FB with Lomax on the wing or in the centres?
I would say it is that tall poppy syndrome thing but Dufy ain't that tall.
I agree with you that it is totally ridiculous people looking for his replacement when he is just starting out and making a pretty good fist of it so far. Talk about death riders.
The talk fest about FB for Lomax is no doubt related to the fact that people think if he doesn't get FB money then he will walk (sound familiar x 2)
If he turns out to be a great centre (which I personally think he will) then just bight the bullet and pay him what he is worth to the team not by what number jersey he wears.

Dufty will continue to improve and is a natural ball player.

Lomax to Wing initially, then centre.

Its Field I am most perplexed about. Could be anything but must learn to tackle against men.

Half a season in ISP will do him a lot of good

getsmarty

Immortal
Dufty still a work in progress
Local Sport
r0_0_3098_2633_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

ON THE UP: It will take time for Dragons young-gun Matt Dufty to feel fully comfortable at NRL level according to premiership-winning centre Mark Gasnier. Picture: Adam McLean

HE’S set tongues wagging with his preseason form but former Dragon Mark Gasnier has warned the red v faithful not to heap to much expectation on young fullback Matt Dufty.

Dufty was the pick of the Dragons squad in their trial win over Hull last week and only needs to make it through Saturday’s Charity Shield to get the No. 1 jumper for round one.

It will see him add to the seven NRL games he managed last season. Gasnier was full of praise for his talent, but was wary of placing extra pressure on the 21-year-old.

“There’s no doubt that Dufty’s going to be a good player,” Gasnier said.

“I’m quite confident and happy to say that, but there are areas he’s going to need to work on. It’s no different to anyone else coming into [first] grade, like myself when I first came into grade.

“When people are doing video on you all the time, there’s little parts of his game that he’ll tinker with so he’s not predictable.

“His passing game will develop and, at his age, it’s about confidence.

“I think he’ll get a lot better but I don’t want to put too much pressure on him.

“He’s definitely an exciting player but I don’t think we should expect him to turn games on their head on his own.”

He’s looked well at home at NRL level but Gasnier said it often takes a number of seasons to feel truly comfortable in elite company.

“Once he feels a sense of belonging, and that’s a huge thing in rugby league,” Gasnier said.

“It takes you a good full season or two seasons to have that and to feel like you own that position.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5247437/dufty-still-a-work-in-progress/?cs=302

possm

Coach
I would say it is that tall poppy syndrome thing but Dufy ain't that tall.
I agree with you that it is totally ridiculous people looking for his replacement when he is just starting out and making a pretty good fist of it so far. Talk about death riders.
The talk fest about FB for Lomax is no doubt related to the fact that people think if he doesn't get FB money then he will walk (sound familiar x 2)
If he turns out to be a great centre (which I personally think he will) then just bight the bullet and pay him what he is worth to the team not by what number jersey he wears.
These days strong one on one defence is a key requirement of a fullback. Dufty and Field both are suspect in defence. Sooner or later Lomax will be our fullback and kill it there.

Old Timer

Coach
These days strong one on one defence is a key requirement of a fullback. Dufty and Field both are suspect in defence. Sooner or later Lomax will be our fullback and kill it there.
Let's just stick to Dufty because he is the incumbent.
He has barley played enough games to make any real assessment however his attacking prowess is easy enough to see.
In respect of his defence we have seen very little to offer any meaningful judgement.
This year he will be really tested, however if our defensive line is coached correctly then he shouldn't have a lot to do.
I would suspect that when our line is broken he will face more 2 on 1 situations than anything else and that is a nightmare for any FB.
In respect of goal line one on one you can't compare him to Dugan as Dugan was the best and head and shoulders above any other full back.
As usual this place is having a love affair with someone with obvious potential but no experience to say he is actually better than anyone else and people are willing to turf the incumbent out in his favour before a ball is even kicked.
I believe you have written Dufty off far too quickly and by the way will Lomax be the FB in reggies and I also forgot to ask what happened to that other kid Masters wasn't he going to be the next FB?
Time for everyone to take a chill pill and let the season get underway before making even more wild predictions.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Let's just stick to Dufty because he is the incumbent.
He has barley played enough games to make any real assessment however his attacking prowess is easy enough to see.
In respect of his defence we have seen very little to offer any meaningful judgement.
This year he will be really tested, however if our defensive line is coached correctly then he shouldn't have a lot to do.
I would suspect that when our line is broken he will face more 2 on 1 situations than anything else and that is a nightmare for any FB.
In respect of goal line one on one you can't compare him to Dugan as Dugan was the best and head and shoulders above any other full back.
As usual this place is having a love affair with someone with obvious potential but no experience to say he is actually better than anyone else and people are willing to turf the incumbent out in his favour before a ball is even kicked.
I believe you have written Dufty off far too quickly and by the way will Lomax be the FB in reggies and I also forgot to ask what happened to that other kid Masters wasn't he going to be the next FB?
Time for everyone to take a chill pill and let the season get underway before making even more wild predictions.
I am predicting that Marsters will end up playing centre. I like the idea of a centre pairing of Lomax and Marsters by 2020.

Last edited:

Bench
Say if Lomax does get the number one position could Dufty be shifted to another position

Frank Facer

First Grade
The commentators were wrapping Dufty big time tonight after he scored. One even called him a superstar.

Too small

No smaller than Slater.
His problem seems to be no one giving him guidance.
That high ball he dropped tonight, no pressure, a player like Slater would have jumped anyway and caught it, he should always jump to catch those.

He's got a lot of attacking abilities, maybe with Hunt AND Widdop those will shine, but not with Lafai and Aitken in the centres.

gitano

Juniors
No smaller than Slater.
His problem seems to be no one giving him guidance.
That high ball he dropped tonight, no pressure, a player like Slater would have jumped anyway and caught it, he should always jump to catch those.

He's got a lot of attacking abilities, maybe with Hunt AND Widdop those will shine, but not with Lafai and Aitken in the centres.

Needed to jump to catch a ball with no pressure? Stopped reading there

gitano

Juniors
If anyone is interested in how small Dufty actually is, he's listed as a cm taller than that crap fullback who's been stinking it up at Melbourne for the last 10 years.
But Slater plays a LOT bigger.

Another example of stats not telling the story, and why so many get it so wrong, so often on here.

Latest posts