What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Book your GF tickets

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Why the Warriors will win the Premiership in 2018 by David Long
OPINION: OK, so we're going to have to strap on our most rosiest tinted spectacles for this, but these are the reasons why 2018 will finally be the Warriors' year.

1. No-one is expecting them to win

There may be good justification why there aren't any pundits picking the Warriors to win this year's grand final, but that could play into the team's hands.

Regardless of what's being said inside the Warriors, there isn't the feeling that they have one of the best squads in the NRL, or the most naturally gifted players. So there won't be that hype and pressure around them that's been there at the start of most seasons.

The Warriors are notorious for struggling at the beginning of campaigns. How much that's down to the high expectations on them is unknown, but at least they'll be free of it this year.

Mind you, they do have to play the Rabbitohs, Titans, Raiders, Roosters, Cowboys and Broncos in their first six games.

2. A more rounded squad

There hasn't been the superstar off season signing for this year. Adam Blair and Tohu Harris are close to that, but not really in the same bracket as Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Issac Luke and Sam Tomkins were.

Instead, over the offseason, there has been depth added to the squad.

At times last year, it was clear some of the players were badly out of form, or even out of their depth at NRL level.

Coach Stephen Kearney would highlight that in post match press conferences and everyone thought he was about to wield the axe, but then he'd pick the same players again for the following week. Because he didn't have any other options.

This year though, there will be competition for places from one to 17 and they'll know there will now be consequences for poor performances.

3. Stephen Kearney's second year

For any coach in any sport, the first year at a team is always tough, particularly when it's one that's been underperforming as much as the Warriors.

Kearney now knows all the players, admittedly because so many of the ones he's signed previously played under him at the Kiwis, but he should know how to get the best out of all of them.

4. Getting back to Warrior football

Last year, Kearney got them to play a dull brand of rugby league. His thinking was that the exciting, expansive brand of league that the team had been known for hadn't resulted in any premiership wins, so they needed to change.

A fair point, but it didn't work.

That Warriors are a team built on offloads and thrilling tries, they're never going to win anything just carting the ball up the middle or with simple one-out passes.

The talk from the players is that they're going to go back to what they did best and perhaps play with less structure.

Whether it works or not, we'll find out, but it's sure to make it more entertaining to go along to Mt Smart Stadium.

5. The Adam Blair factor

OK, so he's not the captain and it's a separate debate as to whether he should be.

But Blair will be a strong voice in the team and he's someone everyone will respect.

He's played at the Storm and Broncos, so knows how a good team should operate.

Blair won't accept poor performances from team-mates and is sure to let them know about it, when they've let the club down.

Playing wise, he'll give the team a much needed hard edge and will be the first enforcer type player since Ruben Wiki.

6. It's their turn

OK, so maybe this isn't a real reason. But there are only the Warriors and Gold Coast left without a premiership victory and it doesn't look like the Titans are going to be in with a chance this year.

Sunday News

Blair

Coach
Imagine if we did though

We'd have a ripper of a Grand Final week, then, eventually, get routed by the Storm. Personally, I'd be shuffling out of the stadium just like I did last time in 2011, quite bewildered by the whole experience. Both thrilled it happened but also completely empty inside.

I still have that same feeling seven years later.

Last edited:
Ticket go on sale 10th of April for NRL members.

2018 NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final
ANZ Stadium, Sydney

NRL Account Buying Window
4pm AEST Tuesday April 10, 2018

11th for others.

To soon????

We'd have a ripper of a Grand Final week, then, eventually, get routed by the Storm. Personally, I'd be shuffling out of the stadium just like I did last time in 2011, quite bewildered by the whole experience. Both thrilled it happened but also completely empty inside.

I still have that same feeling seven years later.
You mean Manly?

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
You mean Manly.

No I did mean Melbourne. We weren't "routed" by Manly in 2011, it was a tight game. I was implying if we made the 2018 GF, as per the thread title.

I presumed the Storm would be all over the comp again this year and would thrash whomever they met in the final, especially a fluky Warriors side.

I was wrong. The Storm are no certainties and the Warriors are no flukes.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Will put this out there now because if it does happen and I try to claim it after the fact nobody will believe me.

Anyway, over a decade ago, I'm thinking around 2004-2006 period, I had a dream that the Warriors won their maiden grand final by beating the Dragons in a low scoring game - 13-4 or 17-8 something weird like that.

With both sides going so well, now is as good a time as any to break the drought.

If it happens then I'm claiming it.....if it doesn't then move along, nothing to see here.

DRAGONSNZ

Bench
Will put this out there now because if it does happen and I try to claim it after the fact nobody will believe me.

Anyway, over a decade ago, I'm thinking around 2004-2006 period, I had a dream that the Warriors won their maiden grand final by beating the Dragons in a low scoring game - 13-4 or 17-8 something weird like that.

With both sides going so well, now is as good a time as any to break the drought.

If it happens then I'm claiming it.....if it doesn't then move along, nothing to see here.
Looking forward to the final.;)

Blair

Coach

OK, that's now officially on record. During that period it would've been good to dream, as it would've been a lot better than the real thing.

I never dream at night about the Warriors which is a good thing, as they take up too much of my time anyway.

I do 'day-dream' about them though.