What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kidwell you muppet

Skinner

Coach
The muppets are the NZRL for appointing him in the first place. David Kidwell was always a horrendous appointment made out of (?) haste, lack of cash... I won't cop lack of contenders because they could've appointed an Australian (oh yeah but then how would they put the Ki in We)

Kidwell is not a smart man. I've seen it in the way he speaks, he's laboured, ideas aren't flowing. He wasn't an intelligent footballer, a hot head who got by because he played with passion. There was no subtlety to his game. So why are we surprised he had no intelligence in his coaching? The marae thing was PR bullshit. The changing trainings around was just as dense, placing footballers outside their routines. The same routine that works for the Storm week to week or any other good club. Oh because the ABs do it. Not the Storm though...you know, that environment you were purportedly learning off.

So Hayton should go too, not just Kidwell.
Top post this

JJ

Immortal
Well, Hayton has resigned.

What exactly is Kidwell's status atm?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Well, Hayton has resigned.

What exactly is Kidwell's status atm?

Good, exactly what he should've done after such a poor job. I don't think it's overstating it to say the last 2-3 years have set the Kiwis back 10 years, in terms of the players we've now lost, the coaches who won't touch us, the bad will of fans, it's just f**ked.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Slightly late on that one mate ;)

Further to that, Had radio sport on this morning as I headed to work and they had Terry Kennedy on who does breakfast radio with Laurie, and they got him to lean over and ask the question and Daley about coaching the Kiwis and he said not as far as he is aware

TK had the Warriors winning the spoon with the Tigers and Titans in the fight, and Kearney to be gone by round 8

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
The mole mentioned it a couple of days back

Could be a case of the NZRL identifying Daley but not making an approach yet ?

You'd think they'd sound out Maguire or Hasler first, but I'd pick before long Maguire will be at Penrith or Warriors

Izz

Bench
Whack-a-mole. Misses most of the time but even swinging as wildly as he does he has to hit something occasionally.

I don't think this is one of his rare hits.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Slightly late on that one mate ;)

Further to that, Had radio sport on this morning as I headed to work and they had Terry Kennedy on who does breakfast radio with Laurie, and they got him to lean over and ask the question and Daley about coaching the Kiwis and he said not as far as he is aware

TK had the Warriors winning the spoon with the Tigers and Titans in the fight, and Kearney to be gone by round 8

I remember TK from the Sunday Roast days. My god, he was a complete cock smack. Mind you, he could well be right about us for the spoon.

Daley would have to be getting a lot of $ to take our gig, which I doubt we can offer. Why else bury your career potentially?

I remember TK from the Sunday Roast days. My god, he was a complete c**k smack. Mind you, he could well be right about us for the spoon.

Daley would have to be getting a lot of $ to take our gig, which I doubt we can offer. Why else bury your career potentially?
NSW did that to him.
Or should I say QLD did it to him!

He is married to a Kiwi.

Last edited:

MKEB...

Staff member
Whack-a-mole. Misses most of the time but even swinging as wildly as he does he has to hit something occasionally.

I don't think this is one of his rare hits.
whack a mole...Kaboom

In todays paper it said Kearney is the most under pressure coach going into the season, apparantly Michael McGuire is the hot tip to replace him

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Which paper?

I'd say Griffin is under the most pressure. He's got the maniac Gould ready to make a rash decision holding a blade above his head, being in Sydney where the pressure is 1000x greater than here with a rabid media (including the DT where the editor has an agenda against Gould) and a greater playing group that allegedly he's lost, which certainly showed losing to a Bulldogs junior side 2 weeks ago - albeit trials.

The Maguire stuff, as we well know, can often be 1+1=3. Although I thought that when they linked Kearney to our job 2 years ago. As I've said before, I'd cop some poor performances to get a coach like Maguire. Proven premiership coach over someone who I'm certain will never win an NRL title.

JJ

Immortal
Kearney et al have carefully constructed a shit-house roster so there are no expectations - nobody can be disappointed if we don't make the 8 because nobody rational expects us to make it

Cold Roses

Juniors
Looks Like Kidwell is a goner at least. Time to move on.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12013534

Rugby League: NZRL review's shock findings revealed

By: Dale Budge Dale.Budge@nzherald.co.nz @playtheballnz
2-3 minutes
A damning review into the Kiwis' World Cup failure has found a glaring lack of leadership from the top down and is set to effectively end David Kidwell's tenure as head coach.

The findings of the long-awaited review, conducted by leading sports lawyer Tim Castle and former Bulldogs and Netball New Zealand boss Raelene Castle, will be released to the public on Friday with a press conference scheduled at Rugby League House in Auckland.

The Herald understands the review's findings highlight a lack of direction and poor decision-making by the front office, the Kiwis' management team and the playing group - but are particularly critical of Kidwell and recently-departed chief executive Alex Hayton.

Hayton saved the board from taking action by resigning last week while there is no way the off-contract Kidwell will be reappointed as a result of these findings, the Herald has learned.

The appointments process for key roles will be criticised and those poor decisions allowed for a strategy that simply wasn't up to the level needed for a major global tournament.

Campaign manager Shane Richardson won't be spared either. He was allowed to return to Australia in between games despite being charged with running the side's tournament - all in the aftermath of the Jesse Bromwich and Kevin Proctor drugs scandal after the Anzac Day defeat to the Kangaroos.

Over the past 12 months a number of long-standing board members, who presided over the appointment of Hayton and Kidwell, have moved on with the last remaining one - John Bishop – set to exit in June.

The new-look board, led by chairman Reon Edwards, will appoint a new chief executive and help shape the way forward in the coming months.

A new process will be created to find the next Kiwis coach with former NSW State of Origin mentor Laurie Daley a possible target.

MKEB...

Staff member
That last sentence I'll say is pure speculation. Why on earth would you appoint or sound out a new coach when the NZRL board isnt complete or a quorum. At best Laurie Daley will have been an idea that a couple of board members have discussed amongst themselves.

Latest posts