What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Over rated artists

carcharias

Immortal
For me, he had no range to his voice.

I'm not knocking him - he's one of the best all-around artists ever, and I truly enjoy his body of work.

But he was pretty average imo.

No range?
Geeze
He could go from full blown baratone cockney to squeeling like a banshee.
It’s rock n roll
Ever heard anyone else do a Bowie song better?
I haven’t.

His voice is what made those songs so great.

gUt

Coach
No range?
Geeze
It’s rock n roll
I haven’t.

Nirvana covering Man Who Sold the World live is about the only one I can think of.

roofromoz

First Grade
I still really like Showbiz, about half of Origin of Symmetry, and there's one or two good songs on Absolution. Everything after is that is just absolute pretentious horseshit.

Yeah, I agree there is a dip after Absolution, although there's still some diamonds scattered throughout. I'm still a fan of their more recent stuff, but more often than not I will listen to their first 3 albums as they are far and away my favourites.

Agree on the pretentiousness... I still remember how they launched the first single for The Resistance... bit by bit daily over like a 2 week period.

Eelementary

Post Whore
No range?
Geeze
It’s rock n roll
I haven’t.

I don't think he was a particularly great singer.

Especially when you factor in that singers such as Ronnie James Dio, and Freddie Mercury were around at the time.

As for covers:

carcharias

Immortal
I don't think he was a particularly great singer.

Especially when you factor in that singers such as Ronnie James Dio, and Freddie Mercury were around at the time.

As for covers:

It’s actually overrated artists
Mercury was a bloody legend
Bowie as an artist was a legend .
Those two were exotic birds compared to RJD
Who could sing but as far as an artist
He was a magpie in comparison.

At least Bowie and mercury were original
DIO were a find a dozen .

Sorry just had a quick listen
They were shit
Comparable to Madge butchering a classic.

Eelementary

Post Whore
It’s actually overrated artists
Mercury was a bloody legend
Bowie as an artist was a legend .
Those two were exotic birds compared to RJD
Who could sing but as far as an artist
He was a magpie in comparison.

At least Bowie and mercury were original
DIO were a find a dozen .

I don't disagree, mate.

And I genuinely liked Bowie, and enjoyed his work.

But I just found him a bit over-rated.

And over-rated doesn't mean bad - imo, Elvis Presley was over-rated, but he was still an originator, and a huge influencer for people who followed him.

Just my opinion.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Ok
That’s is cool
They knew a great song

Check out Madonna absolutely destroying rebel rebel
....as a tribute to him.

Madonna destroys just about anything she does these days, she totally decimated American Pie and FFS her last really big hit she had she had to sample ABBA’s Gimmee, Gimmee, she hit gold there only because of ABBA not because of her own talents.

Canard

Immortal
Madonna destroys just about anything she does these days, she totally decimated American Pie and FFS her last really big hit she had she had to sample ABBA’s Gimmee, Gimmee, she hit gold there only because of ABBA not because of her own talents.

She's been MIA for a decade hey?

An old girlfriend dragged me along to see her at Wembley Arena when that Abba song was big, and she was a 'Londoner' put on a good show, but played none of her hits.

LESStar58

Referee

If she did the Immaculate Collection as a concert I'd be there with bells on. I'm not even a fan of hers but there's no doubt she's a legend. Problem is she has to keep reinventing herself to stay relevant and every time she reinvents herself she makes shift music.

horrie hastings

First Grade
She's been MIA for a decade hey?

An old girlfriend dragged me along to see her at Wembley Arena when that Abba song was big, and she was a 'Londoner' put on a good show, but played none of her hits.

She was MIA for a while even before she did the Hung Up/ Gimmee Gimmee but she did hit gold with that one. I like Madge but mainly her work from 80s/90s. I do reckon she would put on a top show though.

horrie hastings

First Grade
If she did the Immaculate Collection as a concert I'd be there with bells on. I'm not even a fan of hers but there's no doubt she's a legend. Problem is she has to keep reinventing herself to stay relevant and every time she reinvents herself she makes shift music.

I do like Madge but mainly from the era you mention, I do have quite a few of her songs on my ipod and a few of her albums on cd.

gUt

Coach
Someone mentioned Jeff Buckley earlier. I can't agree with that. He may have become overrated if he hadn't died romantically at just the right moment in his career - lucky for him!

Grace is an incredible album. Not perfect - I think his voice is mixed too far forward in a lot of the tracks and the music is sometimes a bit weirdly washed out. I guess this was to highlight his voice but imo it didn't need to be manipulated like that.

Not many singers can point to a single album which showcases so many different aspects of his/her vocal talent.

carcharias

Immortal
Someone mentioned Jeff Buckley earlier. I can't agree with that. He may have become overrated if he hadn't died romantically at just the right moment in his career - lucky for him!

Grace is an incredible album. Not perfect - I think his voice is mixed too far forward in a lot of the tracks and the music is sometimes a bit weirdly washed out. I guess this was to highlight his voice but imo it didn't need to be manipulated like that.

Not many singers can point to a single album which showcases so many different aspects of his/her vocal talent.

I play guitar and sing in a band

I hate him
Because he was so bloody good.
Absolute freak

gUt

Coach
He's in the top 5 rock vocalists of all time in my book - from 1 album! I guess it's not hard to see why it's tempting to call him overrated but it's incorrect to do so imo

Latest posts