What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARLC Commission Changes

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm nowhere near a techo,but surely having a digital dept such as the AFL does,provides opportunities for bringing in additional revenue via advertising.

I find it ironic, since the fumbleball mob have that facility,they have feel good pro AFL stories in the newspapers and the TV,and few negatives.Does that indicate it provides better PR machine and the media outlets almost feel a need to follow suit?
We on the other hand ATM have every single negative, seemingly finding its way into the press.Some justified BTW.

There are IMO the opportunities to expose more good news stories at grassroots level, currently neglected by a media looking for any off field incident to feast on.
Finally who knows what the lie of the technology land will be from 2022,maybe Grant has a fair idea then again maybe not.
I would have thought from a layman's perspective ,having such a dept(and yes it appears expensive),may provide some sort of platform to handle various forms of streaming, getting the games out to the public.

ATM looking around at advertising for junior rl in districts ,its' like hen's teeth and amateur.If the Digital Dept can assist to get around this problem, that would be plus.

What I will say, the Dept has to be a profitable side of the NRL admin, to justify the outlay.If a code continues to get bad news stories by the mainstream media, no matter how much you spend on grassroots,the mummies will say, shock, horror no, young Frosby can't get his feet dirty being tackled, he might end up bubbling in a pub's toilet..

Id suggest that has much more to do with the AFL's media management than pumping out its own good news stories and the main stream media feeling the need to follow suit.

You can ask why one arm of a media company is trying to cause harm to a sport that the other arm has invested heavily in to show on TV? You'd think there is a vested interest in all parts of the media company working together to make the game as popular as possible to generate more viewers?

Then again Murdoch did make it clear which code he prefers!

Maybe the annual report will offer some clarity on what this digital investment is hoping to achieve?

taipan

Referee
Id suggest that has much more to do with the AFL's media management than pumping out its own good news stories and the main stream media feeling the need to follow suit.

You can ask why one arm of a media company is trying to cause harm to a sport that the other arm has invested heavily in to show on TV? You'd think there is a vested interest in all parts of the media company working together to make the game as popular as possible to generate more viewers?

Then again Murdoch did make it clear which code he prefers!

Maybe the annual report will offer some clarity on what this digital investment is hoping to achieve?

I can tell you this ,the AFL due to its power in Victoria has a huge influence over the media both,print and electronic.That code also has large numbers of business people who follow the code intensely ,who also provide advertising to these media outlets.
They tend to provide news on major AFL misdemeanours ,either that or there is let us say a bit of collusion going on,which has been well publicised in the past.
This point was noted by a writer in the Australian,who lives in Melbourne.He noted on one occasion, that when there is a major offifield issue in the AFL,it is publicised and the media soon moves on for the good of the game.
Contrast that with the Sydney media and the NRL.Take the Carney issue and the bubbling, the media here went on and on with it as though it was some major crime.

The NRL does not have the influence over the media here ,nowhere near what the AFL does in Vic.It did in the days of the Sun and Mirror papers.But since the SL war papers like the Herald are not as glowing as they used to be.In the past many incidents by players, were covered up.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can tell you this ,the AFL due to its power in Victoria has a huge influence over the media both,print and electronic.That code also has large numbers of business people who follow the code intensely ,who also provide advertising to these media outlets.
They tend to provide news on major AFL misdemeanours ,either that or there is let us say a bit of collusion going on,which has been well publicised in the past.
This point was noted by a writer in the Australian,who lives in Melbourne.He noted on one occasion, that when there is a major offifield issue in the AFL,it is publicised and the media soon moves on for the good of the game.
Contrast that with the Sydney media and the NRL.Take the Carney issue and the bubbling, the media here went on and on with it as though it was some major crime.

The NRL does not have the influence over the media here ,nowhere near what the AFL does in Vic.It did in the days of the Sun and Mirror papers.But since the SL war papers like the Herald are not as glowing as they used to be.In the past many incidents by players, were covered up.

Which is exactly my point. Nrl Self generated good news stories are highly unlikely to change the above. Might as well buy the journos with strippers and coke, probably be cheaper!

taipan

Referee
Which is exactly my point. Nrl Self generated good news stories are highly unlikely to change the above. Might as well buy the journos with strippers and coke, probably be cheaper!

Huh!!!! Not quite.
If a lot more ,of the pro rl good feeling publicly is put out there ,such as now exists with the AFL,that better promotes the codes to parents ,who are the final decision makers on whether a kid plays or not.

If as was the situation in the past the media 'controls" NRL news,then negativity will prevail.If the NRL has a lot more control then the situation will swing the other way.

And also take into account in the past ,the code had SFA competition from AFL/Soccer/union.That situation does not exist now.

Canard

Immortal
I'd be keen to see some probity and transparency around the $150M. I'm not keen to line the pockets of some IT firm who need an ongoing "maintenance" fee of millions per annum.

If all that gets us is a shitty website with puff pieces written by cadet journalists and some crappy one camera style videos we have failed.

If the current NRL is any guide then I have my doubts.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I'm nowhere near a techo,but surely having a digital dept such as the AFL does,provides opportunities for bringing in additional revenue via advertising.

I find it ironic, since the fumbleball mob have that facility,they have feel good pro AFL stories in the newspapers and the TV,and few negatives.Does that indicate it provides better PR machine and the media outlets almost feel a need to follow suit?
We on the other hand ATM have every single negative, seemingly finding its way into the press.Some justified BTW.

There are IMO the opportunities to expose more good news stories at grassroots level, currently neglected by a media looking for any off field incident to feast on.
Finally who knows what the lie of the technology land will be from 2022,maybe Grant has a fair idea then again maybe not.
I would have thought from a layman's perspective ,having such a dept(and yes it appears expensive),may provide some sort of platform to handle various forms of streaming, getting the games out to the public.

ATM looking around at advertising for junior rl in districts ,its' like hen's teeth and amateur.If the Digital Dept can assist to get around this problem, that would be plus.

What I will say, the Dept has to be a profitable side of the NRL admin, to justify the outlay.If a code continues to get bad news stories by the mainstream media, no matter how much you spend on grassroots,the mummies will say, shock, horror no, young Frosby can't get his feet dirty being tackled, he might end up bubbling in a pub's toilet..

I dont even think it needs to be directly profitable. The biggest opportunity i can see is gaining data on individual fans as the enter the site and use the app....

Have fans create an ID that is used for the news, streaming, buying tickets and buying merch. Then they can have ads tailored to them and offers sent directly.

If this is taken on, the NRL will even be able to do that thing airlines do where they vary ticket prices. Have the standard prices as the highest price then offer discounts directly to these account holders depending on how the games are selling and the persons history of attendance.

There are huge opportunities in this beyond the basic ad revenue...

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...m/news-story/9f6231842af75e65d27c835ba89873bc

Deal that could save NRL reform

• The Australian
  • 12:00AM March 6, 2018
  • Brent Read
    8a2fbfa2e92a609cfd30a16a25de7e5a
NSW Rugby League chairman George Peponis and his Queensland counterpart Bruce Hatcher could face a choice between their states and the ARL Commission under a compromise proposal designed to ensure constitutional reform survives next week’s vote in Sydney.

ARL Commission chairman Peter Beattie has spent the past week meeting the boards of the Gold Coast, Canterbury and Melbourne as part of a tri-state charm offensive designed to save reform and head off a splintering in NRL clubland.

Under the original plan for reform, the clubs and states would have two representatives apiece on a 10-person commission. However, the vote on reform was delayed until March 12 when it became apparent there was not enough support for the proposal in its existing form — the Titans, Bulldogs and Storm raised concerns.

Beattie has spent the past week discussing those concerns with the relevant clubs — he was in Melbourne yesterday where he met Storm chair Bart Campbell and his fellow owners — and it is believed he has come up with a series of compromises designed to save reform.

It is understood one of those compromises would eliminate the rule that allows the states direct representation on the commission for an 18-month period, meaning Peponis and Hatcher would be forced to stand down as state chairs in order to join. Alternatively, they could remain as chairs of the states, and a representative for both state bodies could be appointed to the commission.

The clubs have already chosen their two representatives — Racing NSW chief executive Peter V’landys and prominent Sydney lawyer Glen Selikowitz.

While V’landys is assured a place on the commission regardless of reform, it is believed part of the compromise deal would require Selikowitz forgo his position in order to allow a woman to join the commission — Cathy Harris recently stepped down.

Harvey Norman chief executive Katie Page has been the most prominent name linked with the ARL Commission and it is understood she was sounded out late last year about her interest in returning to rugby league — she has a longstanding interest in the sport as a sponsor and former NRL board member.

In the lead-up to last year’s grand final, NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg praised Page for her contribution to the sport.

The QRL board meeting tomorrow could prove decisive. Hatcher confirmed it would discuss compromises for reform that could ultimately dictate whether constitutional change takes place and the states and clubs gain their places.

“I know Peter Beattie has done a lot of work,” Hatcher said.

“I think there has been some movement from the clubs but I am not sure how far. The real point is around that whole issue of whether or not the 18-month period applies.

“I believe there is a proposal that the chairman resigns and do that 18 months early.”

Diesel

Coach
Why is there a need to have a minimum number women on the board? What happened to the best person for the role, be it a board of all men, a board of all women, or a mix.
Quotas based on gender is f**king stupid

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/545236d606e91acd16b4ac766ce5bc85

Beattie set to appoint independent commissioners

ARL Commission chair Peter Beattie is expected to appoint Racing NSW chief executive Peter V’landys and former Nine Network executive Amanda Laing as independent commissioners as early as next week after his hopes of a compromise deal on constitutional reform were rejected by the NSW and Queensland rugby leagues.

The QRL and NSWRL held separate phone hook-ups yesterday morning to discuss a compromise proposal which would have resulted in their respective chairs, George Peponis and Bruce Hatcher, being forced to choose between their roles with the state bodies and a place on the commission.

Both states stood their ground, insisting the clubs honour the original plan — agreed in June and confirmed in December — which would have allowed both men an 18-month grace period to hold dual roles.

The states also insisted the responsibility for the impasse lay with the three clubs who voted against reform last week — Canterbury, Gold Coast and Melbourne.

“It took 15 months of long and detailed discussion to get to the December position,” Hatcher said.

“Then between agreeing unanimously in December and now there is a change of focus. The only thing that will change is that they expect the chairmen of the two state leagues to make a choice between their own state leagues and the (commission).

“We as a board have agreed that the position that was reached by 15 months of negotiation in December should stand. We’re not holding anything up. We’re just saying you all agreed then.

“Nothing has changed from our point of view and I don’t know why three clubs have suddenly changed their mind.”

Peponis added: “Our board met and we decided we would stick by the agreement that all the clubs and all the states had agreed upon in December.”

Late last night the NSWRL released a statement calling on the three clubs to act in the best interests of the game.

“The board is proud of the fact that throughout its history, NSW Rugby League has always advanced the best interests of the game,” the statement said.

“The NRL competition, which the three clubs participate in, was born out of the NSW Rugby League competition. The board of NSW Rugby League now calls on the three NRL clubs to discard sectional interests and also act in the best interests of the game by adhering to the agreement which all of them freely reached in December 2017.”

Beattie, the ARL Commission chair, is now left with little choice but to appoint two independent commissioners. One of those is likely to be V’landys, who won unanimous support as one of the two club representatives who were set to be appointed to the commission as part of the constitutional reform.

While V’landys is likely to seek approval from the three clubs who nominated him originally — St George Illawarra, Penrith and Cronulla — it seems hard to believe they would stand in his way.

By joining as an independent, V’landys is arguably in a stronger position given the role of chair must always come from the independents.

The other club-nominated appointment was prominent Sydney lawyer Glen Selikowitz. However, should reform fall over as expected, Beattie is instead expected to appoint a woman to the commission, meaning Selikowitz will miss out.

Harvey Norman chief executive Katie Page has been linked with the position but the more likely appointment would be Laing, who was approached by Beattie and NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg yesterday and is believed to be mulling over whether to accept the offer.

Laing has previously held roles as the Nine Network’s managing director, general counsel and commercial director. She was once considered the successor to former Nine boss David Gyngell and played a significant role in negotiations over a host of sporting deals, including the network’s $925 million commitment to broadcast the NRL for the next five years.

More recently, she has been working as a consultant with Telstra to help the telecommunications giant finalise the merger of Foxtel and Fox Sports.

Beattie remains determined to make it work. “Constitutional reform was never going to be easy,” Beattie wrote on social media. “I am still committed to it. If it doesn’t get up now we will revisit it in a year’s time.”

Hatcher said he respected the work Beattie had done in an attempt to broker a deal.

“We believe from an integrity and principle point of view that you can’t keep rolling over just because someone wakes up one day with a different view,” he said. “There are only three clubs (against it).”

Perth Red

Post Whore
“The board is proud of the fact that throughout its history, NSW Rugby League has always advanced the best interests of the game,” the statement said.

“The NRL competition, which the three clubs participate in, was born out of the NSW Rugby League competition.

Frick in hell could you ever imagine the VFL saying this about the AFL to try and convince non Vic clubs to tow the line. And they want a say in how the game runs!!

Be interesting to know why the three clubs have stopped the reform, I suspect it has more to do than just the NSWRL and QRL chairs positions on both organisations.

re Laing, good commercial insight into media partners or conflict of interest with old mates in Ch9 and Fox?

Quidgybo

Bench
Why is there a need to have a minimum number women on the board? What happened to the best person for the role, be it a board of all men, a board of all women, or a mix.
Quotas based on gender is f**king stupid
Life is very rarely as black and white as there being one *best* person for anything. More likely there are five or six you talk to who have various strengths and weaknesses compared to each other but all would do a great job. And hidden behind them, are another 10,000 people who would also do a great job but didn’t apply, were happy in their existing job, didn’t know there was a vacancy etc etc. The argument over so called quotas isn’t that these are lesser candidates, it’s the strange statistical fact that out of this range of qualified candidates, any of whom would do a great job, it historically has nearly always gone to a man. Apparently that’s just by chance or because they were the one true “best” man for the job.

Leigh.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I dont mind Vlandys getting the job so long as he quits and takes up the club-appointee spot when that opens. It would be a f*cking travesty if he pushes someone else out and the clubs get ANOTHER seat.

“The board is proud of the fact that throughout its history, NSW Rugby League has always advanced the best interests of the game ,” the statement said.

“The NRL competition, which the three clubs participate in, was born out of the NSW Rugby League competition.

Frick in hell could you ever imagine the VFL saying this about the AFL to try and convince non Vic clubs to tow the line. And they want a say in how the game runs!!

Be interesting to know why the three clubs have stopped the reform, I suspect it has more to do than just the NSWRL and QRL chairs positions on both organisations.

re Laing, good commercial insight into media partners or conflict of interest with old mates in Ch9 and Fox?

Hahahah, the NSWRL killed or subordinated every other League across Australia/NZ only to then turn their back on these expansion areas and focus almost solely on Sydney.

They are right that the NRL came from the NSWRL, but thats not really something that will change these peoples minds. They conquered these areas with Poker machine money, then left them in ruin and buggered off.

Demanding appreciation now is a bit too rich...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I wonder about some of these reported "facts"...

The papers are saying that only 3 clubs were against the reforms. But it never went to a vote, so we have no idea who would have supported it.

And the papers are saying the big sticking point is the state chairmen sitting on both boards. I find it hard to believe THAT is the problem when this state-held veto power is smacking everyone in the face.

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...d/news-story/faae245b9e21f5437a51dc7f2df888d9

Reform snub to heighten tension for Peter Beattie and NRL clubland

The three clubs at the centre of rugby league’s latest stoush are set to skip Monday’s showdown over constitutional reform — a snub likely to heighten tension between warring parties in clubland.

The Australian understands the chairs of Melbourne, Canterbury and the Gold Coast are unlikely to attend the meeting, reinforcing their opposition to a proposal that would have resulted in the states and clubs being given two representatives apiece on a 10-person ARL Commission.

Their likely non-appearance leaves ARL Commission chair Peter Beattie with little choice but to press ahead with plans to appoint two new independent commissioners to fill out the existing eight-person structure.

Those two appointments will be NSW Racing chief executive Peter V’landys and former Nine Network executive Amanda Laing, although Beattie is waiting for both to confirm their willingness to become independent commissioners.

V’landys is likely to seek the approval of the three clubs who nominated him for the commission — Cronulla, St George Illawarra and Penrith — before accepting the offer, but the clubs are unlikely to stand in his way given he has the support of the entire 16 clubs.

Laing, who was heavily involved in negotiations over the latest broadcasting deal in her role with Nine, was only formally approached this week and is yet to notify the NRL of her plans.

However, it would be a major surprise if she did not accept the offer. Their appointments will mean prominent Sydney lawyer Glen Selikowitz — the other representative to be approved by the clubs — will miss out on a place on the commission.

The greater concern for Beattie is repairing the fractures which have opened in the wake of the failure to reform the commission.

The Titans, Melbourne and Canterbury have been accused of backflipping on an agreement reached last December which would have expanded the commission to include club and state representatives. One chair, who wishes to remain anonymous, yesterday accused the three rebel clubs of putting personal interests ahead of the game.

“There is great disappointment across the 13 clubs that three clubs put private interests and personal vendettas above the greater good of the game,” the chair said.

The three clubs counter that by insisting they have raised concerns on a continual basis for the past 18 months. Furthermore, the Titans point out that their club was in the process of being sold in December, current owners Rebecca Frizelle and Darryl Kelly having stepped down from the board three months earlier.

Chief executive Graham Annesley sent out an email on September 8 announcing Frizelle and Kelly had stepped down from the board while the sale was being negotiated. They rejoined the board after the sale was complete. Annesley yesterday told The Australian that the Titans had harboured concerns over the commission reform for more than a year and denied the club was standing in the way of progress for any reason other than their desire to do the best thing for the game.

“The Titans’ only objective is to see the independence of the commission maintained in the best long-term interests of the game,” Annesley said. “It’s about good governance and has nothing whatsoever to do with sectional interest. In fact, standing up for the preservation of independence is the complete antithesis of sectional or self-interest.

“Our concerns have been documented all the way through this process even though we reluctantly agreed to a set of modified amendments in May 2017 in an attempt to reach a compromise solution.”

Asked how he responded to claims that the club had backflipped on the December agreement, Annesley said: “The Titans were still under NRL ownership in December.

“The Titans board has continuously and consistently expressed reservations about diluting the independence of the commission. Recent events have only served to further reinforce those reservations.”

It is understood the three clubs also point out that the latest incarnation of the reform proposal is far removed from what the clubs agreed in December.

In schedule 3 of the December 2016 memorandum of understanding, the clubs agreed to an eight-person commission with five independents, two club representatives and one state representative. Further talks following that agreement prompted a change to give the states two representatives, while at the same time allowing them to retain their power of veto.

OldPanther

Coach
Sadly we are still having to put in artificial constructs to overcome centuries of imbalance and prejudice. Eventually your wish will be granted but its probably a decade or so away yet. Given the significant number of top companies run by women a 10% representation on the commission is very non reflective of the female talent out there wouldn't you say?

Biggest load of nonsense I've ever heard.

Funny thing is the more equal a society is in opportunity the more men and women don't get evenly represented in certain fields.

Quidgybo

Bench
In schedule 3 of the December 2016 memorandum of understanding, the clubs agreed to an eight-person commission with five independents, two club representatives and one state representative. Further talks following that agreement prompted a change to give the states two representatives, while at the same time allowing them to retain their power of veto.
Ha, now it all starts to come out. The outlined reform was a rotten proposal and the self interest of the clubs was used by the old powers to try and stitch up the game. It would’ve entrenched partisanship in the boardroom and perpetuated the us and them mentality in running the game forever more. I’m glad it’s fallen over at the last hurdle. I really think the game just dodged a bullet.

Interestingly I asked Peter Beattie on Twitter last week exactly that question about state representation. Why do both the NSWRL and QRL need representatives instead of a single consensus candidate? Surely the interests and issues of grassroots Rugby League don’t vary so much to justify the partisanship of each state having their own commissioner. He chose not to reply. I suppose I can’t blame him.

Leigh

Last edited:

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Ha, now it all starts to come out. The outlined reform was a rotten proposal and the self interest of the clubs was used by the old powers to try and stitch up the game. It would’ve entrenched partisanship in the boardroom and perpetuated the us and them mentality in running the game forever more. I’m glad it’s fallen over at the last hurdle. I really think the game just dodged a bullet.

Interestingly I asked Peter Beattie on Twitter last week exactly that question about state representation. Why do both the NSWRL and QRL need representatives instead of a single consensus candidate? Surely the interests and issues of grassroots Rugby League don’t vary so much to justify the partisanship of each state having their own commissioner. He chose not to reply. I suppose I can’t blame him.

Leigh

I’m glad it fell over as well. I’m not sold on the 2 Nrl appointed and 2 state appointees either. A better scenario I think is still a 10 person board. 7 independents, 2 appointed conference (north/south) members and 1 club appointee. V’landys becomes the club appointee. I believe the state chairman shouldn’t have club affiliations but that would seem difficult to police so a independent appointed person should have that role. I also don’t think the qrl/nswrl should be written into the constitution because going forward having a north/south conference system for 2nd tier is a better option.

The states digging in there heels seems like a kid throwing there toys out of the cot. The clubs initially came from a place where they could dictate terms and they certainly took advantage of that with the current constitution demands. But again self interest between clubs has fractured that relationship. Apart from the bulldogs (peponis v Anderson) I’m not sure how Storm and titans are being selfish though? All they want is a independent commission that is still independent and not at the mercy of club and state leagues.

Latest posts