What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons v Mounties live scores

Crush

Coach
Well it’s pretty clear why Nighty is still in the top grade.

Garrick is nowhere near ready. He’s a woeful defender and got burnt again just like he did against Hull.
Nighty isn't one of the best wingers in the comp but he is still the best winger at our club. That is why he is still very important to us and I feel those saying that he should be hooked don't understand that.
Nene/Mann/Aitken/Nighty is our best back line right now.

giboz71

First Grade
Nighty isn't one of the best wingers in the comp but he is still the best winger at our club. That is why he is still very important to us and I feel those saying that he should be hooked don't understand that.

Yep agreed.

Nothing I saw today suggests anyone from our reserves should be replacing him. Even Lomax who is an obvious talent needs at least half a season in ISP.

Although there is nothing stopping us looking externally for a better wing option.

Runner

Juniors
My point is wingers get around him not by being necessarily quicker but his positionsing and timing is all wrong. Same thing happened against Hull.

If he hasn’t got the instincts to get this right as a winger at this stage of his career, he likely never will.
Yes sure - I agree that there is more to it as you suggest. My comment was just relating to his speed. He is quick compared to Nightingale for example but is no speedster.

Herbert, Sele, Ford all played well.

Field's defence is non existent.

Unimpressed by Nicholls as possible replacement for Hunt during SOO.

Mann should replace any one of Flo, Lafai or McDonald. He is next cab off the rank.

Hoping Sele and Host will be given time in FG as season progresses.

Carlton

Juniors
I know its only one match but it does not look like the young backs people have been calling to be put into first grade are up to it. We desperately need to sign a top quality genuine first grade outside back with speed.

How good is Jackson Ford though, he is looking like he could take the next step. I thought along with Sele that they were the two who looked like they could be in first grade.

giboz71

First Grade
I know its only one match but it does not look like the young backs people have been calling to be put into first grade are up to it. We desperately need to sign a top quality genuine first grade outside back with speed.

How good is Jackson Ford though, he is looking like he could take the next step. I thought along with Sele that they were the two who looked like they could be in first grade.

Lomax might be ready after a few more games in ISP, but that’s about it. Defensively, guys like Field and Garrick aren’t ready for the NRL. Mann is really our only genuine option to replace one of the starters.

Hence I’m still scratching my head why we didn’t have a crack at either Johnstone or Gagai, especially when Dugan signed for the Sharks ( and we eventually let Thommo go).

Surely we had the cap space?

Carlton

Juniors
Lomax might be ready after a few more games in ISP, but that’s about it. Defensively, guys like Field and Garrick aren’t ready for the NRL. Mann is really our only genuine option to replace one of the starters.

Hence I’m still scratching my head why we didn’t have a crack at either Johnstone or Gagai, especially when Dugan signed for the Sharks ( and we eventually let Thommo go).

Surely we had the cap space?

I think that its going to take more than just a few more games for Lomax to be ready for first grade. You're right, Mann is the only real option we have at the moment.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Given what i saw today Jai Field will never play first grade again. Thought Pat Herbert was about the best of a poor backline. Yes, Zac Lomac will make it but it will take time. God help us if some of our first grade forwards get injured. Only Robson Sele and Ford looked any good.

A bit harsh.
I will judge the young guy's after 6 weeks not now.
But do agree sele ford and robson played well

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Carlton
Ford is a great young kud and a extremely hard trainer.
Given time he will be ready.
Agree re sele.
I think sele offers more than luc dose at the moment.

slippery5

Juniors
I'm starting to agree, which makes me worry about competing against another side that muscles up on our forwards, other than Dufty, we don't have any other open play try scorer, IMO.

denis preston

First Grade
Lawrie & Garrick
I'm starting to agree, which makes me worry about competing against another side that muscles up on our forwards, other than Dufty, we don't have any other open play try scorer, IMO.
Jesus, how quickly we forget. Mann at worst should be playing on the wing if the coach only gives him 7 mins a game.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Thanks for the in depth updates @dragonssamy61.

Seems like a few player still have a way to go in pushing for a FG spot. Happy to hear Sele played well. He should come onto the bench for Mann who should take Lafais position if Mary had the stones to do that.

Life's good
Mate more likely he will replace luc.
Luc played the second half today.
Was ok but nothing sensational.
I don't think any change but lafai and McDonald need to lift.
Also depends if host is back he will come into calculations as well..

Latest posts