What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And now are you glad we have signed Ben Hunt ?

Frank Facer

First Grade
Hunt is the missing link in attack we have been waiting for.

Add Widdop/Dufty/McInnes to the mix and we have the creativity and organising skills to score points.

Importantly, they will collectively create enough space for our 3/4s to score.

Aitken given a mile of space becomes very dangerous with his power running.

Lafai needs to time his draw and pass/flick a little better and more patiently now that we have a more balanced and creative spine.

Imagine how strong this team would be if we could swap our wingers for the Melbourne wingers.

The team needs at least one more powerful front rower to be better balanced.

Latimore went ok, but we need someone better.

When we play the better sides, our weaknesses defensively out wide will be exposed.
You said imagine how strong this team would be if we could swap our wingers for Melbourne wingers.

I say, imagine having either Vunavulu or Carr playing outside of Aitken and never having the ball passed to them, unless is is a cutout pass.

gitano

Juniors
You said imagine how strong this team would be if we could swap our wingers for Melbourne wingers.

I say, imagine having either Vunavulu or Carr playing outside of Aitken and never having the ball passed to them, unless is is a cutout pass.
I love generalising. Especially from people who don't understand the game

Hills Dragon

Juniors
Dragons' Hunt downs Lodge, Brisbane
16x9_small

Ben Hunt has scored an intercept try in St George Illawarra's NRL clash against Brisbane. (AAP)

Ben Hunt's intercept try from a Matt Lodge pass in St George-Illawarra's 34-12 win over Brisbane has put an exclamation mark on the NRL's two big headlines.

Updated Updated 52 mins ago

Ben Hunt breathed hope back into long-suffering St George Illawarra fans and rammed home Matt Lodge's tough NRL return with one foul swoop as he set up a 34-12 win over former club Brisbane.

Two of the NRL's biggest pre-season stories collided on Thursday night when $6 million man Hunt intercepted a Lodge pass in the 50th minute to score his first try in Dragons' colours, ending any likely hope of a Brisbane comeback and taking his team to a 16-6 lead.

Rugby league's script writers sure can pen some kind of tale, as the intercept summed up the fortunes of both players in a dramatic opening to the season at Jubilee Oval.

Having not won a finals match since now-Broncos coach Wayne Bennett guided them to the title in 2010, Hunt's impact on the Dragons was immediate.

He set up the Dragons' first try when he grubbered out of dummy-half for the chasing Tyson Frizell, while his long kicking game was equally impressive in the first half.

The Dragons' all-important spine was also much better for his arrival.

Gareth Widdop looked dangerous running the ball in attack, freed up from the burden of having to organise the team alongside makeshift halfbacks since his arrival from Melbourne in 2014.

He struck up a nice combination with young fullback Matt Dufty, who was as quick as ever through the midfield and on kick returns.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/dragons-hunt-downs-lodge-brisbane

Hooker Cameron McInees even looked as if he'd improved on his career-best 2017. He ran freely from dummy-half in the first half to finish with 48 metres from his five up-tempo carries.

Jack de Belin, Jason Nightingale and Euan Aitken each also finished with tries for the Dragons in their 50th win at Kogarah as a merged club.

"These two (Hunt and Widdop) are going to work well together," coach Paul McGregor said.

"Ben is a genuine No.7 and Gareth is a genuine No.6.

"(Gareth)'s got bottomless talent and he wants to play instinctive footy. Whereas you wear the No.7 you've got to execute a game plan and the kicking game."

Comparatively, Brisbane struggled for cohesion as James Roberts scored their only two tries in the second half - either of side of Lodge's intercept pass.

The headline story of the past month, Lodge looked every bit the nervous player on return from his two-year exile, stemming from his infamous New York rampage.

Booed every time he touched the ball by the crowd of 14,457, he was whacked by a Frizell shoulder charge on his first run - earning the Broncos a penalty.

However, he was later penalised for a high shot on Dragons prop James Graham, and dropped a pass cold minutes later in the first half as he looked to take a hit-up.

"I wasn't disappointed with Matt," Bennett said.

"He had to start somewhere. We got him on the footy field tonight and got him playing football."

Source: AAP

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/dragons-hunt-downs-lodge-brisbane
"One foul swoop". Nice one.

Reddragon

Bench

I think Widdop showed the way in the game against the Broncos: cut out pass straight to Nightingale.
It will be the main way he receives a pass in future.

Last edited:

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Reading through the Broncos forum, it's clear that Hunt has been a scapegoat for them the past few years. It's only now they're realising just how much they miss him.

Hunt has put a lot of time into his kicking game as well which is what the Broncos fans felt he was missing. It's killing them seeing how well he's kicking haha, quite hilarious actually.

gitano

Juniors
By all accounts he's a top bloke and fits in very well. We have a bit of a no dickheads policy there at the moment.

hewi

Bench
By all accounts he's a top bloke and fits in very well. We have a bit of a no dickheads policy there at the moment.

If we have a no dickheads policy then what’s the coach cos sure as hell thats what I rate him as.

Brutalitops

Juniors
If we have a no dickheads policy then what’s the coach cos sure as hell thats what I rate him as.
I know we all want a new coach but it's pretty obvious that Mary gets along with the boys quite well and they like him.

In fact it's one of Mary's problems. You need a bit of dickhead in you to be the best coach you can be, he won't make the hard changes because he's too friendly with the players imo.

getsmarty

Immortal
Hunt’s Dragons debut just a taste of what’s to come: Widdop
Dragons Den News
r0_0_2472_3000_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Starting point: Tyson Frizell and Ben Hunt. Picture: AAP Image/Craig Golding

After having nine halves partners since arriving in Wollongong in 2014, it’s with confidence Gareth Widdop believes Ben Hunt has barely even begun to unleash the Dragons’ attacking potential.

Hunt setup one try and scored another in the 34-12 demolition of Brisbane in his Dragons debut, while Widdop threw two majestic passes to complete the demolition job.

The only try neither had a hand in came when Jack de Belin caught the Brisbane defence flat-footed and barged his way over. De Belin was one of the eight halves to start a game alongside Widdop since he joined the club from Melbourne, including three – Michael Witt, Sam Williams and Adam Quinlan – in the first five games he played in the Red V.

So while fans have only had their first taste of the Widdop-Hunt combination, the captain admits to feeling a new freedom on the field alongside a dominant halfback.

“We’ve got a No.7 who’s going to be here for a while now, he’s here for another six years,” Widdop said on Monday at WIN Stadium.

“I think we’ve had (eight) different halfbacks, chopping and changing, whereas now we’ve signed Benny, who’s a traditional halfback.

“We know he’s going to be there, my focus is very simple, to do my job for the team and he does his.”

Widdop said rather than his assists for the right-sided duo Euan Aitken and Jason Nightingale being set plays, they were the result of a dominant forward pack and a new-found licence to roam.

“Having Ben there has freed me up a little bit, to run around the field,” he said.

“I’ve just found myself in that position to thankfully score a few tries.”

Hunt’s next assignment comes against 2016 premiers the Sharks, another team widely considered to be a finals threat come September, despite their opening round loss to North Queensland.

It will be the first time Sharks recruit Josh Dugan will play against the Dragons, since he left Canberra for Wollongong in 2013.

Widdop ruled out giving Dugan any special attention on Thursday, even if he starts in the No.1 jersey.

“We all know Dugan’s a talent,” Widdop said.

r0_42_5315_3049_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

All smiles: Dragons captain Gareth Widdop was impressive against Brisbane. Picture: John Veage

“He can play a number of positions.

“… We won’t put too much focus into any individuals, it;s about ourselves.”

Meanwhile, Broncos prop Jayden Su’a took a one-game suspension for an off-the-ball shoulder charge which shook Paul Vaughan.

Su’a took the early guilty plea.

TWO TO TANGO
Widdop’s halves partners since joining St George Illawarra in 2014

Michael Witt

Sam Williams

Adam Quinlan

Benji Marshall

Drew Hutchison

Jack de Belin

Josh McCrone

Kurt Mann

Ben Hunt

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...just-a-taste-of-whats-to-come-widdop/?cs=3713

Latest posts