What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons v Mounties live scores

BennyV

Referee
What are your thoughts on Sele being a back up for McInnes(not long term)? I’ve mentioned it before & then read he has done some training at dummy half(might have a bit of Havili about him).
I like the idea, he’s got ball skills and we could then use 3 interchanges to rotate McInnes and JDB. Would require 2 80minute back rowers.

To cover for a full game (injury/rep call up) would be too much for him.

BennyV

Referee
I know it’s only Round 1 in ISP but unless guys like Herbert, Garrick and Lomax are dominating in the lower grades, they shouldn’t even be considered any near the FG squad.

It’s a massive jump to FG and if you’re getting beaten by ISP opposites, what’s it going to be like when they come against guys like Roberts, Vunivalu, Mitchell, Addo Carr etc.

I’m the first to say we need to do better than Nighty, Lafai etc but we can’t assume their replacements will come from our lower grades.

Not yet anyway.
Sorta disagree. I think the jump from NYC to ISP is bigger than that to NRL and if kids who dominate 20s can be comfortable with the speed and physicality of ISP then they can be looked at to jump to NRL. They won’t dominate straight away but it indicate potential for a good first grader.

As an example - Dufty was never dominant in ISP. He was solid, made some mistakes and showed good signs but overall looked comfortable. As such, he took the next step. I’d say by reports (and what I saw last year) Herbert falls into that category now too. Lomax is worth holding for half a season and then he’ll probably be in the same boat. Field seemingly looks like he’s struggling to take those steps. Likewise Garrick.

I do agree that if we were to clean out our 2-5 (which I think we should) then we’ll need some recruitment. But we’ve also got Mann who should be wearing one of those jerseys, and investment in Herbert/Lomax could pay dividends, so I wouldn’t be shopping for 4 new top line outside backs.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
If Sele can work on his defensive reads (he has no issues with his tackling technique) and his attitude when he starts to run out of gas, then we will have ourselves a quality bench impact forward.

Love his ball-skills in the middle third, doesn't seem to have a problem making metres either.

giboz71

First Grade
Agree we need to give the youngsters some time but there’s no point replacing Lafai, Nighty etc if we’re only going to get an incremental improvement from guys like Herbert and Garrick.

Nighty is definitely too slow now for a top line winger but he’s still dependable and rarely makes mistakes and has the knack of finding the line (as long as it’s not too far away).

Garrick is younger and quicker but we lose out on experience and he will cost us tries that Nighty wouldn’t. Herbert is probably closer to FG but he’s more solid than spectacular and Lafai and Aitken would have to have a few shockers in a row to be dropped.

Mann is the clear replacement for either of those guys right now.

BennyV

Referee
Agree we need to give the youngsters some time but there’s no point replacing Lafai, Nighty etc if we’re only going to get an incremental improvement from guys like Herbert and Garrick.
That’s a bit short-sighted. There May only be incremental improvement at first, but over the course of the season that improvement will increase as these youngsters adapt and develop into first graders. It also puts us in a far better position next year as these guys will have worked out the jitters and be ready for a full season (referring to Herbert and Lomax, then Marsters in the next couple of years).

I’m not convinced Nightingale is still the ‘reliable’ winger we used to know and love.

giboz71

First Grade
That’s a bit short-sighted. There May only be incremental improvement at first, but over the course of the season that improvement will increase as these youngsters adapt and develop into first graders. It also puts us in a far better position next year as these guys will have worked out the jitters and be ready for a full season (referring to Herbert and Lomax, then Marsters in the next couple of years).

I’m not convinced Nightingale is still the ‘reliable’ winger we used to know and love.

Fair call.

Guess we’ll know more about Round 11 when we see more from Nighty and the youngsters.

But if we’re in the mix for the top 4 come the middle of the season and Nighty is still doing a fair job, I’d rather go for the tried and trusted .

Carlton

Juniors
Given what we saw and yes its only rd1 but you can see why our 1st grade squad is our 1st grade squad.
Sele, Host and Herbert have had a year in ISP already and are probably the most likely to step up. Field also has a year in ISP but his defense is woeful and would be lucky to see any 1st grade anytime soon. Same with Kerr although he's more likely than Field.
Lomax didnt do anything that would warrant an immediate promotion to 1st grade. Review again in 3 or 4 games time.
Robson spent a fair bit of time off the field last year with HIA and started again yesterday. Is it tackling technique?
It will be interesting to see when Host is "fit" to play because Leilua really didnr do much in both games he played. I thought he should have taken the game by the horns yesterday but was outplayed IMO by a rookie in Ford.
It was a game they shouldnt have lost but found a way to do so. Lets hope we see inprovement by all players next Thursday.

I agree Dragonslayer, Ford looks like a real special and on that performance seems like he'd be able to step up to first grade.

PS: I'm not saying we should rush him into first grade on that one performance but bring him through carefully, blood him when appropriate. I think he looks like he has the potential to be the best of the young forwards.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I agree Dragonslayer, Ford looks like a real special and on that performance seems like he'd be able to step up to first grade.

PS: I'm not saying we should rush him into first grade on that one performance but bring him through carefully, blood him when appropriate. I think he looks like he has the potential to be the best of the young forwards.

Agree ford looks the goods.

O'Sullivan

Juniors
I think we might be being a little harsh on some of our players. Mounties are a pretty well rated side and yet we should have won - genuine try disallowed and some poor decisions by officials (for both sides but especially for us), in the last 20 minutes. Yes Lomax tried too hard and showed his inexperience but most ISP sides will take a few weeks to gel and some of these players could step up with quality NRL players around and supporting them.

O'Sullivan

Juniors
I must say Jai Field seemed very nervous when things got tough towards the end. He will learn, hopefully, to be more decisive on the paddock.

Life's Good

Coach
I like the idea, he’s got ball skills and we could then use 3 interchanges to rotate McInnes and JDB. Would require 2 80minute back rowers.

To cover for a full game (injury/rep call up) would be too much for him.
It seems like we have the ready to go option in Sele.
Without sounding like a broken record it’s clearly a decision for SuperCoach to get ‘creative’ when factoring that into the bench selection/rotation. Rd1 wasn’t promising with Mann getting the best part of 5 mins.

getsmarty

Immortal
ISP Dragons pipped by Mounties
Author
Nicholas Janzen (Twitter: @NicholasJanzen)
Timestamp
Sat 10 Mar 2018, 03:32 PM

Mounties have recorded a thrilling victory in Round 1 of the Intrust Super Premiership NSW competition, beating St George Illawarra 22-20 in hot and humid conditions at WIN Stadium in Wollongong.

The Dragons raced to a 14-point lead in the first half but ultimately it was the class of Mounties’ outside backs and the clever play of hooker Craig Garvey that saw them finish on top in a game that went down to the wire.

The Dragons thought they’d pulled the match out of the fire in the dying stages with a 70-metre, hail-mary downfield kick from a scrum that ended with Zac Lomax completing a one-on-one steal on Mounties' line and appearing to crash over to score and steal victory, but the centre was ruled offside.

The first half was, indeed, a tale of two halves – the home side racing to a 14-point lead before the visitors came storming back.

The Dragons got off to the perfect start, crossing the line after just a few minutes minutes through a simple right-to-left shift that saw influential fullback Jai Field cross the line.

The Dragons continued the momentum and just a handful of minutes later worked the same patch of grass, once again crossing in the north-western corner of the ground. Another slick backline movement ended in a Patrick Herbert try after Adam Clune feigned to head out the back, instead delivering a flat pass to the centre to crash over.

Clune again used Field as a decoy in the 20th minute, with another face ball on the Mounties line seeing Jackson Ford crash over. Field’s conversion from in front stretched the Dragons’ lead to 14.

Mounties, however, eventually emerged after a slow start and returned serve in the 23rd minute. Some smart play by Cooper Bambling and Tyler Cornish saw Michael Oldfield crash over. Sitiveni Moceidreke’s laser-like conversion took the score to 14-6.

Mounties continued to work their way into the contest, scoring another close-range try when creative No.9 Garvey told a lie by faking left before the shortest of passes right saw Sam Duggan crash over. Moceidreke sent the score to 14-12 at the break.

The Dragons started the second half in fine and perhaps fortuitous fashion, the beneficiaries of a rebound that found its way into the Mounties in-goal area. Attacking the visitors’ line, the Dragons through Field flung the ball to the right, with the attempted tackle from Mounties sending the ball into the in-goal area for Jack Payne to bring the score to 20-12.

Mounties, however, once again came bouncing back – surging downfield with it looked like the game would fall for the home side. Some slick work and quick hands eventually found the hands of new recruit Ed Murphy, with the 2017 Intrust Super Premiership NSW Team of the Year member doing enough from close range after to keep the defence at bay and cut the lead to just four.

Mounties ultimately secured victory on the back of some outstanding play from winger Mikaele Ravalawa, who breezed past the Dragons’ defence on a kick-return and raced downfield, with a sublime Oldfield flick pass a few players later setting up the match-tying try. Moceidreke’s sideline conversion handed Mounties their victory and coach Ryan Carr victory in his first match in charge of the club at Intrust Super Premiership NSW level.

Next week the Dragons face the Jets on Thursday night at Southern Cross Group Stadium, while Mounties host Wyong on Saturday at Aubrey Keech Reserve.

Mounties 22 (M Oldfield, S Duggan, S Duggan, M Ravalawa tries; S Moceidreke 3 goals) def St George Illawarra Dragons 20 (J Field, P Herbert, J Ford, J Payne tries; J Field 2 goals)

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/03/11/isp-dragons-pipped-by-mounties/

SEAT 1A

Bench
Garvey had a strong game, the no try stuff up wasn't great and Nicholls needs time.

If Lomax was onside, we get the chocolates.

Latest posts