What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Don't see the extent of jumper changes in AFL as seen in the NRL? For instance, are you aware of how many St George Dragons fans cringe when the club doesn't wear the famous red V jumper? You will also find that Manly Warringah have got it right this season with their main and alternate strip. The inverse of eachother, and very much like the very recognisable 70s , 80s and early 90's jumpers. These very recognisable and familiar jumpers engender loyalty and fond memories for fans which seem to be ignored by many clubs and others. Another fact not noted is that the opposing club fans also enjoy the rekindled familiarity and memories of such jumpers. The visual effect and familiarity is part of the attraction for fans attending and viewing games. The familiarity is much alligned in the look of the clubs when the game/competition was reaching an Australia wide tv audience and subsequent notoriety which occured in the 70s, 80's & 90s.
Ever heard of paragraphs? FMD that's a painful read.

Anyway, to summarise:

• Holding the AFL up as a bastion of continuity and tradition is rubbish. 90% of clubs' current logos have been instituted within the last 10-15 years, guernsey designs yes - home designs for the most part persist (but have changed over time for most teams), but they too have many wacky away or clash jumpers.
  • They're called St George Illawarra
  • Agreed re: Manly, they've nailed the design.
To be honest, I think you're agitating for something the clubs mostly recognise. The majority of clubs have either continued with or reverted to a simple classic look from eras you refer to. There are still a handful of clubs struggling for identity, but that's the case with any code.

Basically I think you're getting worked up over something that isn't a big issue anymore.

First Grade
Sternum sponsors are a joke. They blur the lines between NRL professional jerseys and your local bush league jerseys which go full NASCAR. Not only that but the fact that almost all the sternum sponsors change every year indicates to me that the companies aren't getting their money's worth for it. Ideally I'd like to see the NRL make a ruling where clubs can't have sternum sponsors and are limited to a single lower back sponsor with the upper back reserved for the player name in one standard NRL font (like in the EPL). Not only would this tidy up the clubs' and the NRL's branding, it'd also make jersey sponsorships a premium placement and sponsors would pay more for the exclusive exposure they got on the front/ back of the jersey.

That Knights retro jersey looked great- but not sure why the front gradient pattern didn't also appear on the back like the real deal? It would have also meant Ladbrokes could sublimate their logo at the top. That jersey + yellow numbers would be a winner, and works better than the Barca stripes .
I prefer the Barca stripes, I think it's our best looking jersey and should always remain our jersey

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Depends if the NRL want to maintain and attract a loyal supporter base? Other codes like the AFL understand this concept and do not change playing strips anywhere near the amount of times seen in a season of NRL. Id say that code code is looking at the loyalty and familiarity aspect of their product. That's good business too!

I dont agree with you often, but youre right on this one....

I think what happened was that, in the 90s, teams realised they had such strong brand recognision, they knew they could jump between jerseys and fans would still know exactly who they are and what their "main jersey was" (even if they had not worn that main jersey in 5 years).

Except, after 30 years, we have a generation of fans who have only ever know this constant change of jumpers. It is an entire generation of fans who do not know what the clubs central brand is supported to be.

The longer clubs go on like this, the worst it is going to get. "If the club doesnt respect the jumper, why should I?"

GAZF

First Grade
I didnt like it when it was release, but seeing it on the field gave me visions of 1999.

Now all they need to do is stick with it (but, who am i kidding....)
It's a good looking jersey but it doesn't scream "Melbourne Storm" imo. Their last design was possibly my favourite look for them, suited their gloomy theme.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Sternum sponsors are a joke. They blur the lines between NRL professional jerseys and your local bush league jerseys which go full NASCAR. Not only that but the fact that almost all the sternum sponsors change every year indicates to me that the companies aren't getting their money's worth for it. Ideally I'd like to see the NRL make a ruling where clubs can't have sternum sponsors and are limited to a single lower back sponsor with the upper back reserved for the player name in one standard NRL font (like in the EPL). Not only would this tidy up the clubs' and the NRL's branding, it'd also make jersey sponsorships a premium placement and sponsors would pay more for the exclusive exposure they got on the front/ back of the jersey.

That Knights retro jersey looked great- but not sure why the front gradient pattern didn't also appear on the back like the real deal? It would have also meant Ladbrokes could sublimate their logo at the top. That jersey + yellow numbers would be a winner, and works better than the Barca stripes .

This comment makes too much sense

Stallion

First Grade
Ever heard of paragraphs? FMD that's a painful read.

Anyway, to summarise:

• Holding the AFL up as a bastion of continuity and tradition is rubbish. 90% of clubs' current logos have been instituted within the last 10-15 years, guernsey designs yes - home designs for the most part persist (but have changed over time for most teams), but they too have many wacky away or clash jumpers.
  • They're called St George Illawarra
  • Agreed re: Manly, they've nailed the design.
To be honest, I think you're agitating for something the clubs mostly recognise. The majority of clubs have either continued with or reverted to a simple classic look from eras you refer to. There are still a handful of clubs struggling for identity, but that's the case with any code.

Basically I think you're getting worked up over something that isn't a big issue anymore.

Timmah . Not getting worked up at all? Think they are valid points which in your roundabout way you have agreed with! So perhaps you might acknowledge that the St George part of that merger is the most potent for recognition and familiarity for neutral and existing fans. Even the Illawarra part of this merger acknowledge that very clear market advantage. In a roundabout way you have begrudgingly accepted my point of familiarity and recognition and that makes me thankfull for small mercies. But in a roundabout way thanks for bagging my content and then agreeing with it to some extent.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
I dont agree with you often, but youre right on this one....

I think what happened was that, in the 90s, teams realised they had such strong brand recognision, they knew they could jump between jerseys and fans would still know exactly who they are and what their "main jersey was" (even if they had not worn that main jersey in 5 years).

Except, after 30 years, we have a generation of fans who have only ever know this constant change of jumpers. It is an entire generation of fans who do not know what the clubs central brand is supported to be.

The longer clubs go on like this, the worst it is going to get. "If the club doesnt respect the jumper, why should I?"

Fortunately tv replays can replenish and reinvigorate the visual association we are referring to.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
Would love to see player names returned. It is just a standard in most sports that we shouldn't have lost.

Superleague manages to do an upper back sponsor and a name. It looks a little cramped but much better than no name at all.

Saint Doc

Coach
Would love to see player names returned. It is just a standard in most sports that we shouldn't have lost.

Superleague manages to do an upper back sponsor and a name. It looks a little cramped but much better than no name at all.

They manage it via squad numbers.
If you want names printed on jerseys, you need to abandon the traditional 1-17 numbering.
Can’t print new jersey’s every week with new names

beave

Coach
I agree that the ‘99-esque bolts in the V would be superb.

To me, that jersey does scream Melbourne storm and should be their fulltime home jersey.

Go wild with the away, 9’s, ANZAC, WIL, charity, Marvel, indigenious, but just settle for a mainstay for the home jersey. There’s enough chance to sell jerseys to those who like go wild every year as well as then having a constant home jersey.

You can actually have the best of both worlds.

That goes for all clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts