What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The spine is impotent.

Surely

Post Whore
A halves combo of th and ct , no f**king thank you, plod Central.

It's no coincidence that all the teams with plodding half backs got rolled so far.

Speaking of how good was Shaun Johnson , that's a half back.

Card Shark

Immortal
It’s also round 1 & plodding teams win in round 1 over their more fancied opponents.

Happens every year.

Rd 2 & beyond each team has 1 week to prepare for a game, not 4 months.

wibble

Bench
Holmes struggled, but will be given more time. Luckily we have options there.

Brailey has been good, but isn't anywhere near the threat Ennis was.

There is potential for our 1 and 9 to improve, but they will need to.

There is a lot more pressure on the halves last year and this, to create something from nothing.

Townsend does that sometimes, as well as many halves, but is there for his short kicking game which is excellent. His long kicking is merely ok which is good enough if our kick chase and yardage are good, which they usually are.

At this stage of his career we know what we'll get with Townsend, and it is good enough if the other spine players do their part.

Moylan nearly stole the game on Friday when we had no right to win it. I think he could be an outstanding pick up for us, but will need to be for us to win.

Segeyaro looked threatening and maybe needs more game time.

If Moylan and Segeyaro can be consistent threats, Townsend a good short kicker, Holmes a support player and Brailey a relief, defending hooker the spine could be good enough.

Not much of that is happening now, but that is the potential we have. I'm not sure it could ever be as good as a spine with Ennis and Barba in peak form, but few spines would be. A lot is on Moylan to give us some x factor.

chewsta

First Grade
Moylan will be fine in the 6 but if we are to move Holmes to wing then Dugan needs to stay out in the centres and pair with him as the rep wing/centre combo they are. A combo out there of Lewis/Dugan/holmes is pants tightening stuff, if we start using the ball on that side of the field.

Not sure who is left to play FB though?

Snoop Shark

First Grade
If Val wants more ball what’s everyone’s thoughts about him playing centre? Just putting out there

Frenzy.

Immortal
I saw Val play fullback in under 20s. Slashing.
The step up to NRL in the same spot is a step too far for the bloke.
Thats ok. Its not for everyone. If it was we would all be doing it.
But someone - that would be you Shane - has to put the poor bastard out of his misery.
Media commentators, sharks fans and opposition fans can all see he doesnt have it.
Positionally he has no idea.
Instinctivally he has no idea.
He does for wing play. In spades.
End the experiment and lets get on with it.

I didnt see Chad play before he hit first grade. But like the other bloke apparently he was star as well.
But l believe Chad has peaked.
3 things please Mr Halfback:
Create pressure for periods of the game longer than 5 tackles. That is managing a game. That puts us in control.
Secondly, take the ball and go where our strengths are. Its your job to put it there. Again and again.
Lastly, penetrate. Devise some way - kick pass or do it yourself to get us behind their defence.

Can CT do these things effectively for 26 rounds.
Because if he cant we wont make a dent.
Thurston can.
Cronk and that bloke from the Eels can. The bloke who doesnt get on with brad arthur.
Anybody have his number?

Soggy would have his number

carinashark

First Grade
Chad went ok , I know not great but he will get better , he is good enough to do that. Even Hayne can’t get a grubber through the defence sometimes and Chad didn’t get many chances.
Move Val onto the wing ASAP or his confidence will go. Give Moza another few games , remember who we played they gave us very little to work with. Ok put Duggan at the back but not for to long, he is a class center that’s his role. A point was made about a full backs role to move players , leadership. Do we have any player that can do that now?
Also a question about Hodko’s knees, can he play at NRL level?

txta2

Bench
To many players playing out of position, worked well for NSW past 12 years. Nothing will change and will end in tears for someone.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Last year we had Brailey, Chad, BBQ and Felix for the majority. The team lost attacking potency and dropped in the standings

This year same spine with a 1 for 1 change, TPP for BBQ.

TPP is a work in progress. He’ll take weeks to realise whatever it is he will do.

Chad is the constant. Hes been there the longest and knows what Flanno wants most.

Brailey is going to be good but seriously, if he doesnt step up another couple of rungs and bring something he’s going to be a passenger and become a defensive draft horse. Like Lichaa did at the Dogs.

Then theres Felix. Oh Felix, please leave. Go and hook up with your pal Morgan.

To all the Townsend nay sayers consider this. He had no creativity in front of him for most of the game. He had nothing happening for him from the back. Outside he had a Sharks newbie working out where his cogs sit in the machine and next to nothing else happening around him.

I thought I’d have a big year here with so many favourites to get stuck into. Soggy, TPP, Felix. WOW.

I’m going to change thinking. I think TPP will fit in eventually but only if Soggys is the starting hooker. Soggy looks better for having a full off season and TPP definitely looked more comfortable with the different service Soggy provided. It was only a small thing, Brailey shovels it out, Soggy was clearing the ruck by a step and creating better ball, Smith style to the first receiver. He made the team stand deeper by doing it and the momentum increase followed.

The big problem is clearly fullback. So we are really lucky and 3 international class fullbacks. But the greater balance of the side suffers by using TPP or Duges there. Unless PF grows some agates and puts Ramien in.

TPP to the back unbalances the halves. Hodko is the alternative at the moment but Chad/Hodko doesnt provide much point of difference. So IMO to put Hodko in means leaving Chad out and that doesn’t make sense apart from maybe goalkicking as Chad knows the style better. Would also mean still missing a 6. So FJ becomes a viable option When his thumb heals IMO

Duges to the back creates a hole in the centre. The replacement is there, Noodle. Katoa out means Felix the cat can play outside Ramien. If he has to stay. I would be just as happy to have Ramien on the right wing with Gray at right centre as well.

Brailey and Soggy should swap roles. Brailey can relieve Soggy and plug holes in the middle for 10 before and 10 after halftime because if he stays same, same - same but different he’ s not contributing to the spine and it will malfunction.

Ive changed my pre game first selection where I had Hodko/Chad in the halves with TPP as the caboose. Wouldnt work as Chad and Hodko are too alike.

I would now go

Dugan
Felix the Cat
Ramien
Loots
Feki
TPP
Chad

With Soggy as starting hooker.

I would seriously be considering FJ somewhere when he is fit.

When/if TPP clicks will he be 2 or 3 times better than BBQ? ‘Cause thats the bigger issue. Same spine with only the one 1 on 1 change doesnt make that much difference to last year when it is drilled down.

According to the press you are either on the money or they are lurking the forums.

I agree. its very important.

I got it.

sandshark

Bench
Despite the errors, I thought Dugan and Moylan did ok in their spine positions against the dragons.
Would be interesting to see if Hodgko gets a look in for the next game though.
Feel like he could offer something we don't have but afraid that the boys will rely on him too much like they did woth Maloney.

(Seggy is doing ok too do far)

Stake Removed

First Grade
Dugan
Moylan
CT
Seggy

Would like to see Flanno start with Seggy, he plays more uptempo then Brailey, this brings Moylan into the game more, might allow to bring outside backs into game more

Latest posts