What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changes for Round 2

Old Timer

Coach
It would take years to educate someone your level of stupid on how Rugby League works.

That's a lot of typing.
Highly anticipated response and a truly gutless way to respond.
Obviously you don't want to put anything down as you are too scared that somebody then might have an opportunity to pick your ideas apart?
With your big footy IQ you should be able to sort it in about 8 - 10 dot points so come on big shot just have a bit of a go.
To think that some want to have a crack at OV yet they let this peanut get away with his grandiose dismissals and lack of alternatives.

Old Timer

Coach
It would take years to educate someone your level of stupid on how Rugby League works.

That's a lot of typing.
Maybe you can fill in the blanks seeing you think there is too much typing involved.
  1. You played 2nd grade therefore you know more than other posters especially about centre play because______________
  2. Aitken's ability to ____________________________________ outweighs his inability to pass to his winger or other support players and this is what makes him a must pick centre.
  3. Aitken's poor reads in some and often the same defensive situation which ultimately leaks tries is offset by his ability to___ and that is a huge plus for us.
  4. Jeremy Latimore who has a 1 year contract and was purchased as a depth signing deserved to be in first grade because _____ and that was born out in the trials before Rd 1.
  5. By picking Sims in the run on side and having Latimore on the bench we are more balanced and better off because_________

Last edited:

slippery5

Juniors
Sele on current form and Host if fit are the only juniors up to first grade to further improve. Luc as you say needs a bit of mongrel about him and a hard edge.

Latimore is a competent forward. Not a Hess or a Crichton but he bolstered the Sharks pack when they won the 2016 comp. Widdop has made some favourable comments about Latimore too about what he brings to the team on and off the field.

I'm fine with Latimore being in the 17 at the moment.
Jesus Christ, didn't Widdop have favourable comments for McCrone also ??? he knows who feeds him ( & hands him the captaincy). LOL

slippery5

Juniors
Maybe you can fill in the blanks seeing you think there is too much typing involved.
  1. You played 2nd grade therefore you know more than other posters especially about centre play because______________
  2. Aitken's ability to ____________________________________ outweighs his inability to pass to his winger or other support players and this is what makes him a must pick centre.
  3. Aitken's poor reads in some and often the same defensive situation which ultimately leeks tries is offset by his ability to___ and that is a huge plus for us.
  4. Jeremy Latimore who has a 1 year contract and was purchased as a depth signing deserved to be in first grade because _____ and that was born out in the trials before Rd 1.
  5. By picking Sims in the run on side and having Latimore on the bench we are more balanced and better off because_________
F..K, I hated those type of english tasks !!!!!!

denis preston

First Grade
No-one gets a free ride these days, unless Craig Young has another son in the wings.

You don't like Leilua, I get that but he's been given a shot and he should get more than 1 game to settle in and show what he's got. You'd want the same for Lomax or Kerr or anyone else. I've seen nothing wrong with him so far and as I've said a team needs a ball playing forward in their pack, preferably an edge forward. We have JDB in the middle and now we'll have Luc out wide working with Wids or Hunt linking our backline. Despite what you say, he is a very skillful player, he put in some great performances in the Cutters and I believe he'll go even better in a top grade team.
I know you prefer Host but he failed to step up last year and spent most of it on the bench used very sparingly. If he was as good as you and others think he would have replaced Thompson but he's not and he didn't. So now Luc's getting a shot and I wish him all the best.

And you obviously don't like Host ! He is out injured at the moment didn't you know ?

BennyV

Referee
No-one gets a free ride these days, unless Craig Young has another son in the wings.

You don't like Leilua, I get that but he's been given a shot and he should get more than 1 game to settle in and show what he's got. You'd want the same for Lomax or Kerr or anyone else. I've seen nothing wrong with him so far and as I've said a team needs a ball playing forward in their pack, preferably an edge forward. We have JDB in the middle and now we'll have Luc out wide working with Wids or Hunt linking our backline. Despite what you say, he is a very skillful player, he put in some great performances in the Cutters and I believe he'll go even better in a top grade team.
I know you prefer Host but he failed to step up last year and spent most of it on the bench used very sparingly. If he was as good as you and others think he would have replaced Thompson but he's not and he didn't. So now Luc's getting a shot and I wish him all the best.
I dont not like Luc. I think he may have a future as a competent first grader, best utilised as an impact forward from the bench. I think he is dramatically overhyped in this forum based on his time in NYC when he was a very, very big fish in a small pond, and I think he's got a lot of work to do to get up to first grade standard. I also think he is missing so many core skills of an edge backrower. His fitness is down, his lateral movement is poor, he seems to lack the ability to run good angles and his leg speed is barely there. I cant see him causing any damages running an unders line of a short ball because he's just too easy to pick off. And for such a big guy, he really seems to lack drive, just seems to lumber and take the tackle. On top of that, he seems to have quickly become a target in defence. A few good offloads (none of which we've seen in first grade) does not a backrower make.

We do have other ball-playing forwards, Sele being the obvious one (next to JDB) and he fits the bill for a middle forward/lock.

Real edge backrowers are a rare commodity - the ability to consistently pick the right line to run (into a gap or an opposition small man), keeping one eye on the guy about to pass you the ball and one on the defense, is something that's tough to teach. The top backrowers - Cordner, Gillet, Hoffman, Proctor, Creagh in his day - are masters at it. The rest of it, including defense, is something to be learned. I think we've got a good one in Host (and another in Jackson Ford playing ISP this year) however he's been messed around and shoved into the middle/prop for most of his first grade career. Given extended time on the edge twice last year, he was impressive. And right now, he's out injured. He's definitely underdone but his ceiling is higher than Leilua, IMO.

And dude - I wouldnt go falling back on Mary's team selection ability as some sort of validation of opinion...

anth20

Bench
I dont not like Luc. I think he may have a future as a competent first grader, best utilised as an impact forward from the bench. I think he is dramatically overhyped in this forum ...

Agreed, however I do believe he did pretty well in the handful of games he played in 2016, including one against the Broncos. It was based on those games that I thought had he built on that in 2017 he would do well.

epDragon62

First Grade
  3. Aitken's poor reads in some and often the same defensive situation which ultimately leeks tries is offset by his ability to___ and that is a huge plus for us.
I'm loving this in no small measure...

Though, leeks belong with potatoes in soups, which if Aitken was eating would no doubt leak on to his jersey. :p:p:p

st.phil

Bench
So does that mean you think we can win the comp this year?
If not, then exactly what benefit does a 30+ journeyman on a 1 year contract playing 1st grade bring to our club?
Having these types of players in our 1st grade team is a major part of the reason we ended up where we are today and of course our coach is a perfect fit for them.

What rubbish. Whinge whinge whinge. All successful clubs have experienced no frills prop stocks for the rotation. Remember Brian Norrie? Latimore pulled decent stats last week and played a good chunk of Sharks 2016 win. He is a good team man by all reports. How about supporting a guy who will never get the headlines but puts in 100% every-time who used to play for us and has returned for a last dance? Bitter old-timer, have an early brandy today and chill will ya?

Belta

Juniors
Possum said; "....selection on form..."

I'm having another broken record moment, sorry.

Alot of offseason discussions were about the proper reserve grade comp and this should help to interchange form players. I'll use Lafai as an example. He is continually throwing passes to no-one. This can't keep happening, it will 100% burn us. At some stage it will need to be addressed, the coach should be demanding him to display some control. The forwards work too hard for his silly mistakes. We do have two very good centres in Herbert (who I thought we very good on the weekend) and Lomax. If you see no improvement or continual errors from you're first choice player than the simple option is obvious - select on form

LINESPEED

Juniors
I thought Latimore played well. Admittedly outshone by Vaughn and LAM who were crazy good.

I don't think we will see any changes, but our leluia/lafai/McDonald side will hopefully get a rocket up them at training.

I like the look of Jackson Ford, who along with Host has a bright future IMO. I do appreciate the latitude Mary seems to be giving Leilua, who needs to rip in more to develop self-belief. Hopefully Graham's helping him out. I'd like to feel he's a game away from some magical try assists.

True_Believer

Juniors
Possum said; "....selection on form..."

We do have two very good centres in Herbert (who I thought we very good on the weekend) and Lomax. If you see no improvement or continual errors from you're first choice player than the simple option is obvious - select on form

Are they though? I didn't seem the game but a majority of people on here suggested that nobody other than Sele really showed any promise. It seems to be very subjective, but if they aren't performing, you aren't promoting based on form are you?

Frank Facer

First Grade
I like the look of Jackson Ford, who along with Host has a bright future IMO. I do appreciate the latitude Mary seems to be giving Leilua, who needs to rip in more to develop self-belief. Hopefully Graham's helping him out. I'd like to feel he's a game away from some magical try assists.
I had my first look at Jackson Ford on the weekend, as the game was televised on channel nine. I liked what I saw. He looks like a very good prospect.

Old Timer

Coach
What rubbish. Whinge whinge whinge. All successful clubs have experienced no frills prop stocks for the rotation. Remember Brian Norrie? Latimore pulled decent stats last week and played a good chunk of Sharks 2016 win. He is a good team man by all reports. How about supporting a guy who will never get the headlines but puts in 100% every-time who used to play for us and has returned for a last dance? Bitter old-timer, have an early brandy today and chill will ya?
Support him FMD if he wants a “last dance” as you put it then go to Toronto with Mc Crone
I can’t believe that you want to keep him in 1sts at the cost of getting your next era of players properly prepared
While ever you have the likes of a Latimore in the ranks this coach will select him ahead of youth and next year he will want another Latimore type because yet again we didn’t find out whether our younger players can make it in 1st grade
Is Latimore ok yes he is but the question is has he reached his potential and is that more than the upside of younger players in our squad?
Funny how you make mention of his work at the Sharks in 2016 it was so good he got f**k all time in 2017 and they let him go to us for 2018
So not good enough for the 2016 premiers but more than adequate for us according to you
If you want a prop by s good one like Jai Arrow.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I actually hope that by calling Latimore soft, he will prove me wrong and rip and tackle hard and run hard.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Only change Sele to number 17 , Latimore to the reserves ie number 18. Lafai still there of course.
Sele was there last week a swell until the late change.
Really curious as to what is the issue with Host.
Last report form HPT was a very minor calf strain any updates anyone?

Latest posts