What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changa Tribute

Crescent dragon

Juniors
I thought the tribute for Chang was appalling. My son and I were in the stand and couldn’t hear a thing. Most people around me looked totally disinterested in the whole thing. The small screen didn’t help either.
For someone who was such a hero to so many, a club captain, coach, immortal, captain of his country, in fact, the last to ever captain coach his country, the response was very underwhelming to say the least.
Does this say something of what the club really thought of him?
I was a bit embarrassed for his family and also Doust and co, the board let them down.

I was sitting behind the goal posts at the English street end of the ground.

PA system was clear as a bell.

Yes small screen and many fans at ground have never seen Changa play.

Hence the disconnect and lack of silence at key moments.

Good to see the Gasnier and Raper family were given roles in the tribute, and Billy Smith was part of the official party.

Johnny Riley spoke well.

Tribute lasted for 40 minutes, hence reason it wasn’t held at half time.

Film used didn’t do Changa justice.

He was a giant of the game.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I thought the tribute for Chang was appalling. My son and I were in the stand and couldn’t hear a thing. Most people around me looked totally disinterested in the whole thing. The small screen didn’t help either.
For someone who was such a hero to so many, a club captain, coach, immortal, captain of his country, in fact, the last to ever captain coach his country, the response was very underwhelming to say the least.
Does this say something of what the club really thought of him?
I was a bit embarrassed for his family and also Doust and co, the board let them down.

Sould have been done at half time of the nrl.
At least everyone would have been there

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The new screen on the hill is too small and here's hoping the Club installs something better. There was a much larger screen at Toowoomba which has a capacity of only 8000. Surely Kogarah deserves at least the same.

The Chang tribute at Kogarah was hard to hear in the western stand. When it came to the moment's silence, the people in front of the Corporate boxes wouldn't shut up.

Unfortunately the Club didn't do the right thing here. The PA should have been better and louder to get the attention of everyone. It was a relatively simple production that any professional crew could have put it together without silly cost cutting.

And again, the screen needs to be larger. Kogarah is the best suburban ground in the NRL. It's an easy fix.

Last edited:

Coffs dragon

Bench
It looked like a half hearted tribute to a club Legend & Immortal that really deserved a crowd to honour his true legacy. The timing was just wrong to have it so early when the gates had been open and the place so empty.
Even the bloody Bulldogs paid tribute and farewelled Steve Folkes with a dignified send off at Belmore before their devoted fans in big numbers.
John Stanley did so well but Changa deserved to be the main event!!!!

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
The PA system - especially for those in the stand - has been awful for as long as I can remember.

A competent CEO would have fixed it ages ago.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
It looked like a half hearted tribute to a club Legend & Immortal that really deserved a crowd to honour his true legacy. The timing was just wrong to have it so early when the gates had been open and the place so empty.
Even the bloody Bulldogs paid tribute and farewelled Steve Folkes with a dignified send off at Belmore before their devoted fans in big numbers.
John Stanley did so well but Changa deserved to be the main event!!!!

Should of been just before the start of the game.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The PA system - especially for those in the stand - has been awful for as long as I can remember.

A competent CEO would have fixed it ages ago.
I agree, but it's possible the Club will try to pass the buck on this, pointing the finger at the Council's maintenance responsibilities. But imo, as venue promoters, the Club's ultimate responsibility is to provide a venue where the fans can see and hear what's happening on game day.

Georges River Council took over the lease of KJO in 2017 and the plan was to have a hire agreement in place with St George DRLFC. Presumably there is new hire agreement in place for 2018 and beyond. Sources: https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/11/23/uow-jubilee-oval-lease/ and https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/09/21/dragons-announce-home-venues-for-2018/

If the Club has indeed spent $900,000 annually on maintenance, then surely the PA should have been scheduled in at some point. And the new screen should be an improvement. We'll wait and see.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I agree, but it's possible the Club will try to pass the buck on this, pointing the finger at the Council's maintenance responsibilities. But imo, as venue promoters, the Club's ultimate responsibility is to provide a venue where the fans can see and hear what's happening on game day.

Georges River Council took over the lease of KJO in 2017 and the plan was to have a hire agreement in place with St George DRLFC. Presumably there is new hire agreement in place for 2018 and beyond. Sources: https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/11/23/uow-jubilee-oval-lease/ and https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/09/21/dragons-announce-home-venues-for-2018/

If the Club has indeed spent $900,000 annually on maintenance, then surely the PA should have been scheduled in at some point. And the new screen should be an improvement. We'll wait and see.

Don't hold your breath.

Latest posts