What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

unforgiven

Bench
they won't if the blame is apportioned correctly & the real culprits identified

the alternative is we just cop it
& thats what this puppet Govt is banking on , as well as the anti league slimey scum who are pulling the strings

Yes the NRL needs to state at every possibility that the games are not in Sydney due to there not being a venue appropriate of hosting the game and the state government breaking the MOU.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Isn’t that just punishing the fans, who are likley to blame to NRL, not the Govt if they did so?

Punish the 10k roosters fans? That’s a shame. It’s the bigger picture though. I’d even go as far as if the Anz rebuild doesn’t happen move the nsw origin game overseas. Could make more Sydney fans go to regular season games. Offset the bad vibes from Sydney folk by using some of the money generated by doing that to make club memberships, grassroot footy free or highly subsidized for kids.

Before the decision about Allianz gets made by nsw gov cabinet the Nrl CEO and chairman need to go public and make there stance and state the facts. And they need to stick to it if the gov calls there bluff.

unforgiven

Bench
I understand that. However the NSW Government would just sell it as a win for regional NSW if this occurred. Taking it to regional NSW would not hurt them at all for that reason (trust me that is how they'd see it, and how they'd explain it).

I understand that as well and you are right so I guess the on;y other option is that NSW doesn't host state of origin.

macavity

Referee
If the funding is coming from the Govt, why do the trust need to run it or be guaranteed tickets?

Seems that is the true sticking point.

Build it somewhere else, make it 25k.

Bulldoze Allianz and make it a park.

That is what Labor should be putting forward as an alternative.

ANZ needs to be a centrepiece. Allianz needs to be a smaller version of Newcastle's stadium. Hell, let them have hills at the ends.

El Diablo

Post Whore
then its a complete ban then
only venues not owned by the NSW Govt for the NRL's biggest events

Melbourne
Adelaide
Perth
Brisbane
Auckland
Canberra
Townsville
Gold Coast

all get a crack before any venue in NSW owned by the Govt does
don't Cronulla own their ground?

unforgiven

Bench
I’d even go as far as pull games away from the new western Sydney stadium if the contract allows. Use that as a bargaining chip.
For starters they should withdraw from any negoiations regarding WSS opening the season or hosting 9's until such point as the Government confirm their commitment to ANZ.

No compromise should be accepted on ANZ stadium, total rebuild or Grand Final, State of Origin and Finals matches are gone. SFS gets the 10 or 11 matches it gets now.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
You do realise McDonald Jones Stadium in Newcastle is owned by the NSW Government? As such moving Origin games there would make no real difference to the NSW Government.

Yeh, honestly its better to send a game up to NQLD or NZ than going to Newcastle

Even Canberra, if they can get their new stadium any time soon

Timbo

Staff member
I think some of you are seriously overestimating the pull that doing this will do.

The government has its spending plans - if they commit to dumping huge amounts of money in and the NRL throws its toys out of the pram, they'll just let the Wanderers open Parramatta with a derby against FC and let the Wallabies open the NuSFS and promote the shit out of both events.

If they get the Wanderers at Parramatta and the Waratahs/FC at Moore Park and then throw money at other one off events - Wallabies and Socceroos tests, visits by EPL sides, American football, etc - they'll have the number of game days they need for the year to break even, put the cue in the rack and call it a win.

In the meantime, the casual fans of the NRL will get angrier and angrier as they'll see union and soccer on TV at these shiny new venues, whilst they're queuing for a cold pie in the rain at Belmore. The NRL can say 'it's the governments fault - we're making a moral stand about ANZ' until they're blue in the face, but who do you think has a larger and more effective communications apparatus for convincing these people - the NRL, or the NSW Government?

I still genuinely believe this is all a massive bluff so that when they 'compromise' on both grounds, with the SFS getting a more austere rebuild and ANZ getting the original remodel, they get to save face and look like they're 'diverting' money to health and education when it was the spending plan all along. But the NRL coming out and throwing a tantrum won't solve anything - it will just mean the ARU and FFA are the winners as they'll be able to lobby the government more effectively.

Pommy

Coach
For starters they should withdraw from any negoiations regarding WSS opening the season or hosting 9's until such point as the Government confirm their commitment to ANZ.

No compromise should be accepted on ANZ stadium, total rebuild or Grand Final, State of Origin and Finals matches are gone. SFS gets the 10 or 11 matches it gets now.

You seriously think not playing an origin game in NSW is likely?

If the funding is coming from the Govt, why do the trust need to run it or be guaranteed tickets?

Seems that is the true sticking point.

Build it somewhere else, make it 25k.

Bulldoze Allianz and make it a park.

That is what Labor should be putting forward as an alternative.

ANZ needs to be a centrepiece. Allianz needs to be a smaller version of Newcastle's stadium. Hell, let them have hills at the ends.

3 tenants gets them 30k, minimum.

Building it somewhere else isn’t the worst idea, but wether we like it or not, many people on the trust have a lot of clout.

I still genuinely believe this is all a massive bluff so that when they 'compromise' on both grounds, with the SFS getting a more austere rebuild and ANZ getting the original remodel, they get to save face and look like they're 'diverting' money to health and education when it was the spending plan all along. But the NRL coming out and throwing a tantrum won't solve anything - it will just mean the ARU and FFA are the winners as they'll be able to lobby the government more effectively.

I don’t know about a bluff, there really wasn’t much opposition to the original $1.6 billion spend. If they’d just continued down that path they could’ve saved themselves a lot of headaches.

That said I wouldn’t be surprised to see a reduction in the plans. But it’ll be because of genuine concern over the backlash.

But if I’m reading things correctly, it seems like the more likely stadium to get less spent on it will be ANZ. They seem fairly committed to the Allianz deal.

One last point, the NRL can’t afford to throw a massive tantrum, but they can afford to take the grand final to other venues. If they don’t follow through on that, any future threat will be completely empty. They have to make some kind of a statement.

Timbo

Staff member
I don’t know about a bluff, there really wasn’t much opposition to the original $1.6 billion spend. If they’d just continued down that path they could’ve saved themselves a lot of headaches.

There definitely was opposition to it, it just wasn't so vitriolic. Then they ramped it up and Fitzsimmons got on board. So I wonder if the whole 2.5 bn plan was just so they could do the original plan with no outcry.

There definitely was opposition to it, it just wasn't so vitriolic. Then they ramped it up and Fitzsimmons got on board. So I wonder if the whole 2.5 bn plan was just so they could do the original plan with no outcry.

I really doubt it.

It would’ve been so much easier just to stay the course with minimal opposition.

I think what happened is Baird left, and Baird had pulled Ayres into line.

Last edited:
I really doubt it.

It would’ve been so much easier just to stay the course with minimal opposition.

I think what happened is Baird left, and Baird had pulled Ayres into line.

That is exactly what had happened. Ayres was pushing the SCG Trust initial plan, which was to knock down the SFS and build a new 65k seat stadium on Moore Park Trust Land over Kippax Lake (which is around the area used as a car park and training grounds currently. This plan was getting so much flak, and Baird knew any legislation annexing the Moore Park Trust land would not be passed by both Houses of parliament so he kyboshed it and took control over the stadium rebuild off Ayres and took it under his own control.

Baird was the one who put up the plan for rebuild for ANZ, with a refurb of the SFS with any left over funds. This is what was going to happen.

Then we started with a trickle of media articles all of a sudden going on about the heal and safety issues at the SFS, issues which had never been public but all of a sudden were urgent. Baird stood firm.

Then Baird resigned as Premier. From then on, as Gladys Berejiklian was not as wedded to her predecessor's plan, Ayres then went to work to change the plan. The safety issues at the SFS were all over the media being urgent with talk of if not addressed the ground would have to be closed.

Ayres was in the background lobbying other Ministers and the Premier to change the plan, and eventually he succeeded with the SFS all of a sudden moved to the head of the queue with ANZ to follow after.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/national/bre...s/news-story/53a23b0ac9464ac2e48a26c5c0282732

Allianz before ANZ 'a tragedy': business

Tom Rabe

Australian Associated PressMarch 13, 201812:09pm

It would a "tragedy" if the NSW government decides to redevelop Allianz Stadium in Sydney's east over ANZ Stadium at Olympic Park, a peak business group says.

Western Sydney director of the Sydney Business Chamber David Borger said Premier Gladys Berejiklian must stay committed to her billion dollar promise to rebuild ANZ Stadium.

Mr Borger said it would be a mistake for the premier to prioritise the rebuild of Allianz, as has been speculated, over the larger Homebush venue in the city's west.

"What would be terrible, what would be a tragedy would be to see the eastern suburbs stadium prioritised over the one in the middle of Sydney," Mr Borger told reporters in Sydney on Tuesday.

Western Sydney Leadership Dialogue chairman Christopher Brown warned the NSW government it risked losing the NRL Grand Final to another state if ANZ Stadium was not developed.

"There is a contractual legal agreement between the NRL and the NSW government that if they were to rebuild ANZ the way they need to do it then Sydney will continue to host the Grand Final," Mr Brown said.

"Delay or dump the western Sydney stadium and Sydney will lose the NRL Grand Final, that's an easy choice for government we hope."

We'll probably see more on this over the coming weeks. The Opposition are going to use the parliament to force the Government to table a number of documents relating to the proposed ANZ and SFS rebuilds. If the resolution passes (and it is quite likely too as it is going to be moved in the State's upper house) then the government have 21 days to table the document. Things that will be asked for -

(a) any document prepared in relation to the demolition, reconfiguration or rebuild of
Allianz Stadium or ANZ Stadium,

(b) any document relating to cost benefit analysis for any projects under the NSW
Government Stadia strategy,

(c) any safety, security or compliance audit reports for Allianz Stadium,

(d) any correspondence to any sporting code outlining safety and compliance issues at
Allianz Stadium,

(e) any agreement between the Government and the National Rugby League regarding
fixtures,

(f) any document relating to the permanent closure of Driver Avenue

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/ne...s/news-story/53a23b0ac9464ac2e48a26c5c0282732

Sydney can afford two stadiums: NSW govt
  • Tom Rabe
  • Australian Associated Press
  • 6:39PM March 13, 2018
Sydney can afford to have it all, NSW Sports Minister Stuart Ayres has assured parliament, doubling down on the government's commitment to ANZ and Allianz stadiums.

Mr Ayres said the government had every intention to follow through on the multi-billion dollar promise to knock down and rebuild the two stadiums during question time on Tuesday, amid speculation of a backdown.

The sports minister rejected the opposition's imputation the government was prioritising stadiums over schools and hospitals, arguing the state could afford both.

"I'm happy to keep reinforcing to everybody in NSW, but particularly in western Sydney, you can have a new stadium in Parramatta, you can have a world class rectangular stadium at Sydney Olympic Park, you can have have a new hospital in Campbelltown ..." Mr Ayres said.

"But you can only have those things when you make the right decisions to manage the economy properly."

Opposition Leader Luke Foley accused Premier Gladys Berejiklian of preparing to backdown on her stadiums commitment.

"Why is it you're so weak you can't hold the line on a single one of your big policies?" Mr Foley said during question time.

The government's stadium policy would see Allianz and ANZ stadiums knocked down and rebuilt in addition to an upgraded Parramatta Stadium at a cost of $2.7 billion.

Earlier in the day, western Sydney business groups said it would be "a tragedy" if the government were to prioritise the smaller Allianz over ANZ.

Western Sydney director of the Sydney Business Chamber David Borger said it would be a mistake for the premier to prioritise the rebuild of Allianz, as has been speculated, over the larger Homebush venue in the city's west.

"What would be terrible, what would be a tragedy would be to see the eastern suburbs stadium prioritised over the one in the middle of Sydney," Mr Borger told reporters in Sydney on Tuesday.

Western Sydney Leadership Dialogue chairman Christopher Brown warned the NSW government it risked losing the NRL Grand Final to another state if ANZ Stadium was not developed.

"There is a contractual legal agreement between the NRL and the NSW government that if they were to rebuild ANZ the way they need to do it then Sydney will continue to host the grand final," Mr Brown said.

"Delay or dump the western Sydney stadium and Sydney will lose the NRL Grand Final, that's an easy choice for government we hope."